Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

Old February 27th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Default Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I didn't know they only had 31 stores there, I figured they had more.

I didn't know they had stores.
Old February 28th 14, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Black[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Scott Schuckert wrote:

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I didn't know they only had 31 stores there, I figured they had more.

I didn't know they had stores.

That's because they were relatively few.

I think they were treated more like boutiques. A place to showcase their
products, but not a major revenue stream. The stores help build the
brand, and help build a "mystique".

Others have done it, I thought because Sony did it. The Apple Stores are
like that, they aren't factory outlets, they don't replace the
stores selling their products, but they help build the brand. When the
store opened up downtown here, there was a big lineup, people wanting in
on the action, helping to promote Apple by lining up.

Disney has such stores too, though perhaps in their case they actually
have more products that often don't get into regular streams.

I was tempted to go down there with my Apple II, or maybe my Apple digital
camera from about 20 years ago (ask if I can get a new battery compartment
cover), a stunt to show off that Apple is older than Macintosh, or the
gadgets of recent years. But then I forgot, only remembering when I just
happened to walk past there opening day and the lineup reminded me.

Since it's primarily advertising, it's no wonder they might close stores.
They have to weigh the cost of the store versus the value it brings in.
Having a fancy store in New York City and Los Angeles makes sense, having
one in Rapid City, South Dakota doesn't.

Michael

Old February 28th 14, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

RichA wrote:

[...]

Hell! We don't have one here in Paso Robles, CA, or our big city in
this county San Luis Obispo, CA, and that has two Apple stores.
Personally I have yet to see any dedicated Sony store, anywhere.

Savageduck

Old February 28th 14, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Hell! We don't have one here in Paso Robles, CA, or our big city in
this county San Luis Obispo, CA, and that has two Apple stores.
Personally I have yet to see any dedicated Sony store, anywhere.

there is one in gilroy and was one in san francisco, which closed just
a few days ago. there are several in los angeles.

http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.store.listing
Old February 28th 14, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-02-28 05:47:06 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Hell! We don't have one here in Paso Robles, CA, or our big city in
this county San Luis Obispo, CA, and that has two Apple stores.
Personally I have yet to see any dedicated Sony store, anywhere.

there is one in gilroy and was one in san francisco, which closed just
a few days ago. there are several in los angeles.

http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.store.listing

There seem to be quite a few in the Bay Area. As for Gilroy they seem
to have a spot at the Gilroy Outlet Stores and handle clearance and
refurbished products.
I usually drive straight past Gilroy on the 101 when headed to the Bay
Area from my place.

Savageduck

Old February 28th 14, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

RichA wrote:

[...]

There used to be one in Melbourne. I don't know whether or not it is
still there.

Eric Stevens
Old February 28th 14, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article ple.org,
Michael Black wrote:

I was tempted to go down there with my Apple II, or maybe my Apple digital
camera from about 20 years ago (ask if I can get a new battery compartment
cover), a stunt to show off that Apple is older than Macintosh, or the
gadgets of recent years. But then I forgot, only remembering when I just
happened to walk past there opening day and the lineup reminded me.

Well, that at least I can speak to: Apple has a policy of discontinuing
parts availability after approximately five years. Wya back in the
Apple Ii days, it was almost forever... but the government cam up with
rule on how long manufacturers HAD to make parts available, so (being
good bean counters) they cut it off.

BTW, don't lump Apple in with the mostly-for-show "boutique" stores.
They actually have the highest profit per square foot of any retailer
on earth. HUGE money.
Old February 28th 14, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Scott Schuckert wrote:

In article ple.org,
Michael Black wrote:

I was tempted to go down there with my Apple II, or maybe my Apple digital
camera from about 20 years ago (ask if I can get a new battery compartment
cover), a stunt to show off that Apple is older than Macintosh, or the
gadgets of recent years. But then I forgot, only remembering when I just
happened to walk past there opening day and the lineup reminded me.

Well, that at least I can speak to: Apple has a policy of discontinuing
parts availability after approximately five years. Wya back in the
Apple Ii days, it was almost forever... but the government cam up with
rule on how long manufacturers HAD to make parts available, so (being
good bean counters) they cut it off.

I didn't think anyone would recognize the camera, which would have been
the fun. All the people waiting in line for the opening, orgasming over
their iPhones, and I show up with something from the past, likely too old
for the workers there to know about.

Michael

Old February 28th 14, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

RichA wrote:

[...]

There was one about about thirty miles away from me. I went in once, out
of curiosity, while my wife was shopping in another tore. My experience
was worse than in Best Buy.

--
PeterN
Old February 28th 14, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2/28/2014 1:04 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip
There seem to be quite a few in the Bay Area. As for Gilroy they seem to
have a spot at the Gilroy Outlet Stores and handle clearance and
refurbished products.
I usually drive straight past Gilroy on the 101 when headed to the Bay
Area from my place.

As a garlic lover, I could never just drive past Gilroy. the only sample
I didn'tlike was garlic wine.

--
PeterN