Reference Input Medium Metric, RIMM, ERIMM

Old February 25th 14, 06:16 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

Default Reference Input Medium Metric, RIMM, ERIMM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB

from what I read ProPhoto RGB is the defacto RIMM now

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

ROMM is better than RIMM for relative colorimetry (appearance) in most
professional use cases because it has the practicality of proofing
approvals,, soft or hard, being built into the workflow

maybe use cases will evolve around RIMM and ERIMM

--
Dale
Old February 25th 14, 06:20 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
nospam

In article , Dale
wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.
Old February 25th 14, 07:02 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

On 02/25/2014 01:20 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Dale
wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

guess I was wrong, a digital camera RIMM/ERIMM would be a better choice
overall, if the customer wasn't provided a choice for his use case

--
Dale
Old February 25th 14, 07:20 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

well cell phone sensors don't
everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

--
Dale
Old February 25th 14, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

"Clipped" shadows?

obviously he means blocked shadows.
Old February 25th 14, 08:28 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
nospam

In article , Dale
wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

well cell phone sensors don't
everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

cellphone sensors are tiny so they have less dynamic range, not because
they're digital, but because they're tiny.

which do you think would give a better print, a 35mm film camera or a
minox subminature camera? same thing with digital.

compare like with like, which would be 35mm film with a full frame
sensor.

however, even a crop sensor will beat film and many compacts.
Old February 26th 14, 01:57 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

On 02/25/2014 03:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Dale
wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

well cell phone sensors don't
everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

cellphone sensors are tiny so they have less dynamic range, not because
they're digital, but because they're tiny.

which do you think would give a better print, a 35mm film camera or a
minox subminature camera? same thing with digital.

compare like with like, which would be 35mm film with a full frame
sensor.

however, even a crop sensor will beat film and many compacts.

with film the size of the camera only affects the image structure
(grain, sharpness), not the color which contains dynamic range

this applies to digital too, I suspect a CIE filtration will eventually
prevail over the Bayer type filtrations, it is an evolution toward color
and not hybrid film modeling and the limitations thereof, film is
modeled in hybrid analog and hybrid digital systems, even if that
entails just measurement of density or spectral considerations, there
has to be a recognition of such equipment even in strictly sensitized
materials like photographic film and paper

I had a good boss at Kodak R&D who told me the system of film/paper, etc
doesn't work, I interpret this as meaning that there will be a
prevalence of "good enough" color some places as opposed to rigamoral,
and the prevalence of editing and "more attractive color",, both have to
start with the intent of accurate appearance or color, just to make
sense of what you are doing if you want a central system approach with
some defined open systems and standards

--
Dale
Old February 26th 14, 02:02 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long

dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

well cell phone sensors don't

everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

--

Dale

"Clipped" shadows?

yes, film deals with these in shoulder contrasts, and a rational
quadratic model of contrast as opposed to a linear gamma contrast used
in digital, I see on TV that white shirts are clipped with video capture
too, the dynamic range is not there yet, even if it just systematic

--
Dale
Old February 26th 14, 02:33 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

RichA wrote:

everytime I get a picture taken my dark hair is clipped

"Clipped" shadows?

obviously he means blocked shadows.

the same thing in application, just different words

--
Dale
Old February 26th 14, 11:59 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital,comp.soft-sys.matlab
Dale[_4_]

wrote:

but this is a case I side with a film metric, negatives have long
dynamic ranges to accommodate exposure latitude

film has a narrower dynamic range.

chromes depend on good exposure meters and lighting meters to get the scene

in other words, narrower.

I don't think digital cameras have the exposure latitude of negatives yet

they have for years.

even considering push and pull chemical processing for under and over
exposures respectfully?

--
Dale