colour of Tri-x after development

Old September 8th 04, 07:39 PM
whitewave

Default colour of Tri-x after development

My trix (35mm) aren't perfectly clear, the support is always a bit
purple.
Someone told me that the problem is ID-11.
Now I've switched to Xtol, and the negatives still remain purple, a
bit clearer now.

As fixer I'm using Ilford Rapid Fixer 1+4. Every 2 rolls I use to
control the time of fixing by putting a small piece of negative into
the fixer, and doubling the time it needs to become clear.

I wash my negative with Ilford method, and then I left them 10' under
running water, plus 30" of Agepon.

Am I making any mistakes?
Or is it normale that tri-x remains purple?

Thanks.

PS: I have the same problem with plus-x. The only clear negs I got
clear are Neopan.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old September 8th 04, 09:21 PM
Frank Pittel

It depends on how dark the purple is. The purple is the antihalation backing
and is cleared during fixing. I've found a reference to it in Kodak's tech
pub and they state that a "slight" purple stain is acceptable. Their solution to
more significant staining is to refix in fresh fixer.

I've found that with Tmax film a purple stain after washing is an indication that
my fixer is exhausted. I used to check it with hypo check drops and found that when
the fix couldn't remove the purple stain it would check out as exhausted!!

whitewave wrote:
: My trix (35mm) aren't perfectly clear, the support is always a bit
: purple.
: Someone told me that the problem is ID-11.
: Now I've switched to Xtol, and the negatives still remain purple, a
: bit clearer now.

: As fixer I'm using Ilford Rapid Fixer 1+4. Every 2 rolls I use to
: control the time of fixing by putting a small piece of negative into
: the fixer, and doubling the time it needs to become clear.

: I wash my negative with Ilford method, and then I left them 10' under
: running water, plus 30" of Agepon.

: Am I making any mistakes?
: Or is it normale that tri-x remains purple?

: Thanks.

: PS: I have the same problem with plus-x. The only clear negs I got
: clear are Neopan.
: .....................................
: Marco Baldovin
: www.whitewave.it

-------------------

Old September 8th 04, 09:54 PM
whitewave

It depends on how dark the purple is. The purple is the antihalation backing
and is cleared during fixing. I've found a reference to it in Kodak's tech
pub and they state that a "slight" purple stain is acceptable. Their solution to
more significant staining is to refix in fresh fixer.

Yes, it's a slight purple.
I listened to many comments. Someone use to say that it's the
devoloper that wash away the "purple", while others say it's the
fixer.

I've found that with Tmax film a purple stain after washing is an indication that
my fixer is exhausted. I used to check it with hypo check drops and found that when
the fix couldn't remove the purple stain it would check out as exhausted!!

I'm using fresh fixer. Ilford Rapid Fixer can fix many rolles, while
I'm using one litre of 1+4 solution for a maximum of 8-9 rolls.

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Old September 8th 04, 09:57 PM
jjs

"whitewave" wrote in message
My trix (35mm) aren't perfectly clear, the support is always a bit
purple.

It's okay. If you use hypo-eliminator it helps a bit more to remove the dye.
This will seem odd, but soaking again in developer will too.

Old September 8th 04, 10:00 PM
LEDMRVM

The purple is the antihalation backing
and is cleared during fixing. I've found a reference to it in Kodak's tech
pub and they state that a "slight" purple stain is acceptable. Their solution
more significant staining is to refix in fresh fixer.

An effective way to remove the purple stain is to fix normally, rinse, agitate
30 seconds in photoflo,and agitate 2 minutes in Orbit Bath (or other hypo
clearing agent) for 2 minutes.Then wash as usual.

Ed

Old September 9th 04, 06:41 AM

Do you then refix after re-developing?? I've processed a lot of Tmax
120 and have rarely had one that wasn't purple to some extent.. That
With fresh fixer too. Hypo clear, photo-flo, no help...

Jeff