[SI] U photos are Up.

Old February 13th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] U photos are Up.

On 2012-02-12 23:53 , Paul Furman wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

I just submitted a late entry.

Double-U up.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 14th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-13 18:12:13 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]
Pete Attkins:
Nice nighttime street shot, but like Tony, I struggled to find a "U"
association.

The letter "U" is on right edge of the frame (and two small ones in the
web address below the red & blue sign). To me, it mocks the U-shape
formed by the buildings and the street. The caption was:

"This is what happens when one partially learns the rules of
photography, then breaks them."

Tim Conway:
Yup! The end result of human consumption, "Ugly"!

I bet Tim's shot has the most "U"s - there must be thousands of them
printed on all that waste paper.

[...]

Old February 14th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Bowser

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:12:13 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-12 15:07:24 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

I am happy to see that the SI hasn't quite faded into oblivion and
still has an element of fun to it.
Thanks to all who played.

Now on to my comments before I head to the dentist and another new
experience, an implant.

Good luck!!!

Bowser:
#1: Nice! I like the color, and the repetition down the deck, or pier.

I was there the following day when the umbrellas were open, but it was
so damned crowded a shot was impossible. No matter, I liked the "down"
shot better.

#2: Great! The unicycle capture is the pick of this crop. What is there
to say, but good work and great luck to be there at the right moment,
prepared to take the shot.

That, and a few margaritas are all you really need. And a GX1 with a
fisheye lens. Loving that GX1.

#3: OK! I get it, but did Phydeaux really enjoy this modeling job?

He's under contract with the Woofermina agency. I had to pay. Yes,
really.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and good luck with the dentist.
Old February 14th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

#1: Nice! I like the color, and the repetition down the deck, or pier.

#3: OK! I get it, but did Phydeaux really enjoy this modeling job?

He's under contract with the Woofermina agency. I had to pay. Yes,
really.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and good luck with the dentist.

I just back and I dodged the bullet today. After checking X-rays today,
he wants to wait another month before doing the implant, so D-Day is
now March 19. The extraction was back in November and they like to have
3-5 months of bone regrowth before going ahead with the implant.

Then I have to wait another 3 to 5 months before they add the implant crown.

Savageduck

Old February 14th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Alan Browne:
#1 & #2: I like both of your umbrela shots, both have an imaginative
angle to them.

Thx. I was as concerned with colour as lines, however...

#3: Your utensils have some lighting an DoF issues even at F/7.1

I threw that one in and should have left it out. Other choices were
worse (well - there were a few more umbrellas...).

As to DOF, @ 135mm and close enough to fill the frame (as shown) the DOF
is quite thin - and in this case close to where it shows in the image.
As to lighting, it was an orange masked snout over a brown mottled BG
sheet. Yeah, I know ...

Old February 14th 12, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

On 2012-02-12 23:53 , Paul Furman wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

I just submitted a late entry.

Double-U up.

'Up' as in the movie with the floating house ;-)
Old February 14th 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

#3: ...and a ewe fo U.

heh
Old February 14th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
like he's talking about cropping.

Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement etcetera
could be within the scene.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Old February 14th 12, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Pete A

On 2012-02-14 06:14:38 +0000, Charles E. Hardwidge said:

tony cooper wrote:

I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
like he's talking about cropping.

Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
etcetera could be within the scene.

I find it fascinating that people "see" very differently. MG's shot
intrigued me because:

The red provides one dominant primary colour.

The edge of the table divides the picture horizontally: the right
contains mostly circular items of increasing size - the table being the
largest circle.

The left half is nicely out of focus. Tools are obviously required to
dismantle a watch, but hey, they are the wrong tools!

The best jokes are often ones that take a few moments to figure out,
but run the risk that some will never "get it".

Old February 14th 12, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
MG

On 2012-02-14 06:14:38 +0000, Charles E. Hardwidge said:

tony cooper wrote:

[...]

Hence the title "Untimely"