Paint Shop Pro v9.0 - SWEET!

Old September 7th 04, 01:52 PM
PaulAnderson

Default Paint Shop Pro v9.0 - SWEET!

They sure made some nice improvements!

A shaded crop box, tint & transparency selectable. I love this one.
My other favorite editors use this feature. You can turn it on or
off. And unlike ULead's implementation of this, PSP 9 at least
remembers the hue and transparency that you like.

Fantastic new digital image filters for chromatic aberration and
noise. These 2 filters mean I no longer need 2 other programs I've
had to boot up and use in the past.

The one for chromatic aberration allows you to select any color
fringe, set its estimated width, the amount of correction, etc. and
it's completely gone! I tested this one on a worst case scenario
photo that I have, where some twigs had a nasty magenta halo and
others had a cyan halo. It cleaned it up better than any other
utility or editor I've ever tried on this photo. I'm impressed. Just
3 clicks, 2 to select the color fringe sample areas and another
click to do the dirty work. Fast and easy. (Now if ONLY they'd add
in a chromatic aberration filter for radial CA. I still have to use
theimagingfactory's "Debarellizer" plugin for that. I don't like
that I can't resize their teeny preview window.)

The digital camera noise filter now works like those in Noise Ninja
and Neat Image. It first auto-selects a few clear areas and uses
those for noise samples. You can refine those sample areas, add
more, move them, resize them, delete them, etc. It also allows you
to set protected areas and adjust the amount of noise correction by
their overall hue and saturation. I tested this again on some worse
case scenario night-sky photography and it seemed to work even
better than Noise Ninja or Neat Image. I'm one happy puppy about
this one. This filter alone is worth having this program!

A really nice history palette. A descriptive list of exactly what
you did. But unlike other history lists in other editors where they
destructively go back to an earlier step, PSP 9 now memorizes them
all. You can toggle any of the steps back on, and ONLY those you
want without having to redo ones in between. If you are 100% sure
that you are done with that history of edits then you can clear them
all out and start anew, or just delete the ones that you are sure
you are never going to try or need again.

A fun new radial-blur filter, the usual zoom-lens blur or rotational
blur, but also a fun new spiral blur. Each that can be constrained
to the aspect ratio of your photo using either a circular or an oval
that matches the dimensions of your photo. This isn't any major
selling point or really innovative, but it's a fun addition.

I nice miniature color palette interface. A simple idea that's
extremely functional. A small hue-frame around a saturation and
luminance box. Pick your color on the frame and then any variation
of it inside the box. I've not seen this in other editors and I like
the idea a lot. This is like an always visible mini-version of the
large circular hue and luminance pickers that show up when you want
more advanced color selection features in past versions of PSP or
editors.

Do you need more editing space? The color/texture, overview, layers,
and history palettes now can be set to auto-hide off the side of
your screen. Nice.

These are just a few of my favorites that I've found so far. I've
only played with it for a couple hours. I just thought I'd share a
heads-up on this great update to an already great program.

I recall a post in the past where someone said they actually removed
a lot of features in this version, I can't seem to find any options
that are missing from previous versions. I installed V9.0 into a
separate directory so I could compare the two. Maybe the previous
poster was mistaken. A couple features were moved to more apt menus
but I can't find anything missing yet. Just a lot more new and
improved stuff.

Old September 7th 04, 02:14 PM
David J Taylor

Harry Krause wrote:
[]
I sure could use a decent printed manual for this product.

And I can't seem to find one.

Any ideas?

You could try:

ftp://ftp2.jasc.com/pub/en/psp900enug.pdf

David

Old September 7th 04, 03:18 PM
Harry Krause

David J Taylor wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
[]
I sure could use a decent printed manual for this product.

And I can't seem to find one.

Any ideas?

You could try:

ftp://ftp2.jasc.com/pub/en/psp900enug.pdf

David

Ahh...thanks...just what the doctor ordered!
I appreciate it.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
Old September 7th 04, 03:38 PM
Matt Ion

PaulAnderson wrote:

They sure made some nice improvements!

Did they improve performance any over 8? I remember going frmo 7 to 8,
8 was horribly slow to load and operate, and almost all the functions
had been moved around, some to almost nonsensical locations. Please
tell me they've improved on this.

Old September 8th 04, 01:01 AM
Tony

"PaulAnderson" wrote in message

They sure made some nice improvements!

....big snip...

Does it finally have a CMS about equal to Photoshop?