Nikon D3100 leaked

Old August 15th 10, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

Default Nikon D3100 leaked

German magazine Foto-Digital leaked next week's announcement of the
Nikon D3100, several lenses, and a couple Coolpix cameras.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/n...-leaked-in-ge/

The

D3100 is a 14 MP DX camera with a 1080p video mode for 650 Euros. Of
course, Nikon may make further announcements in the days leading up to
Photokina.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 15th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

C J Campbell wrote:
German magazine Foto-Digital leaked next week's announcement of the
Nikon D3100, several lenses, and a couple Coolpix cameras.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/n...-leaked-in-ge/

The
D3100 is a 14 MP DX camera with a 1080p video mode for 650 Euros. Of
course, Nikon may make further announcements in the days leading up to
Photokina.

It's curious how Sony release new 14mp CMOS sensor in their NEX series,
including a dedicated video camera, but don't include 1080p, yet Nikon
release a camera shortly after, presumably using their "version" of the
same sensor, but do manage to get 1080p out of it. I'm not sure if
that's incompetence by Sony, or they're playing games by crippling early
models, rolling out features later.
Old August 15th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Me wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
German magazine Foto-Digital leaked next week's announcement of the
Nikon D3100, several lenses, and a couple Coolpix cameras.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/n...-leaked-in-ge/

The
D3100 is a 14 MP DX camera with a 1080p video mode for 650 Euros. Of
course, Nikon may make further announcements in the days leading up to
Photokina.

It's curious how Sony release new 14mp CMOS sensor in their NEX series,
including a dedicated video camera, but don't include 1080p, yet Nikon
release a camera shortly after, presumably using their "version" of the
same sensor, but do manage to get 1080p out of it. I'm not sure if
that's incompetence by Sony, or they're playing games by crippling early
models, rolling out features later.

Sony has (or will soon) a new HD camcorder shaped camera that does
decent stills too, for the NEX lenses.
Old August 15th 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

Old August 15th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:08:40 +1200, Me wrote:

C J Campbell wrote:
German magazine Foto-Digital leaked next week's announcement of the
Nikon D3100, several lenses, and a couple Coolpix cameras.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/n...-leaked-in-ge/

The
D3100 is a 14 MP DX camera with a 1080p video mode for 650 Euros. Of
course, Nikon may make further announcements in the days leading up to
Photokina.

It's curious how Sony release new 14mp CMOS sensor in their NEX series,
including a dedicated video camera, but don't include 1080p, yet Nikon
release a camera shortly after, presumably using their "version" of the
same sensor, but do manage to get 1080p out of it. I'm not sure if
that's incompetence by Sony, or they're playing games by crippling early
models, rolling out features later.

Sony, for all their expertise, can be brain dead. They make the most
curious decisions sometimes, and seem to be suffering, still, from
Betamax syndrome.
Old August 15th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
lofi

Big deal, another boxy, mirror based dSLR marginally different from the rest
of the line-up.
Note to dslrosaurs: mirror based dSLR designs in the 1930s Exacta form
factor are not news, they are merely evolutionary variations on what might
be a pending mass extinction.
You who like the traditional film SLR design paradigm are an ever shrinking
minority compared to the ever increasing hordes whose concept of a camera is
based on some kind of electronic viewfinder and is quite a bit smaller than
an optical viewfinder camera design paradigm can allow.
It would not be surprising if Sony bailed entirely on traditional dSLR
designs. Sic Semper Minolta.
In the long run Canon and Nikon could go the way of Minolta if they do not
join the mirrorless slr party.
With regard to Sony and Nikon, who makes what is beside the point. Just
because a part has Sony silk-screened on the outside container does not mean
that Sony had anything to do with the design or fabrication of the part.
It appears from strip-downs that the source of Nikon parts is as murky as
the corporate ownership of Nikon (I do not think it is possible to prove who
really owns/controls Nikon in the American sense of those terms).
An electronic part can be labeled anything. Apple calls the processor in
the Iphone 4 an Apple designed and manufactured product. but it is merely an
ARM processor, which is a licensed reference design that appears in a
multitude of products under a multitude of names, manufactured by a
contracted fab.

Old August 15th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Superzooms Still Win

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:55:44 -0700, "lofi" wrote:

[...]

When they finally do away with that agonizingly crippling focal-plane
shutter paradigm with its ancient flash-sync speeds, moving-subject
distortions, and obnoxious noise; then maybe they'll have something. Even
better is if they could also create lens designs with an appreciable zoom
range and image quality at all focal lengths where you wouldn't even have
to deal with changing lenses all the time, and getting crud or condensation
on a sensor or easily damaged mirror, or missed shots from having to change
lenses in time.

Oh wait. They already sell those kinds of cameras for about a decade now,
for about 1/4th to 1/10th of the price of the equivalent or lesser
capabilities in a DSLR configuration.

Nevermind.

If only was as slow to the gate as these DSLR morons I'd still be watching
a B&W TV with rabbit-ears and a round TV tube in it. (Remember those? I
do.) But maybe it would be upgraded with an antenna on the roof and a
square frame masking off the circular display, which would also cut off
part of the available image. That's what each and every DSLR reminds me of
today. Technology that old and with that poor of a rube-goldberg patch-job
applied to it to try to bridge them into this century. The analogy is more
than fitting.

Old August 15th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Superzooms Still Win

[...]

If only I was as slow to the gate as these DSLR morons I'd still be

Old August 15th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Paul Furman wrote:
Me wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
[...]

That's the dedicated video camera I mention above - the "NEX 10' IIRC.
But it hasn't got 1080p - only 1080i according to the specs that were on
DPReview.
Old August 16th 10, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2010-08-15 10:55:44 -0700, "lofi" said:

Big deal, another boxy, mirror based dSLR marginally different from the
rest of the line-up.
Note to dslrosaurs: mirror based dSLR designs in the 1930s Exacta form
factor are not news, they are merely evolutionary variations on what
might be a pending mass extinction.
You who like the traditional film SLR design paradigm are an ever
shrinking minority compared to the ever increasing hordes whose concept
of a camera is based on some kind of electronic viewfinder and is quite
a bit smaller than an optical viewfinder camera design paradigm can
allow.
It would not be surprising if Sony bailed entirely on traditional dSLR
designs. Sic Semper Minolta.
In the long run Canon and Nikon could go the way of Minolta if they do
not join the mirrorless slr party.

Well, Nikon president Makoto Kimura keeps saying that they are going to
have a mirrorless camera. He keeps talking about connectivity and
redefining photography entirely. So I don't think Nikon plans on being
left behind there. Such a mirrorless camera would probably have a DX
sensor, Internet connectivity -- perhaps 3G, and it would blur the line
between movie and still cameras. I would certainly use such a camera,
especially if it had an F mount or an adaptor so I could use my
existing lenses. Granted, such a camera would not beat the resolution
or beauty of a D3x, nor would it probably be as fast as a D3s, but it
certainly would further relegate those cameras to a niche market.

I do not foresee Nikon bringing out a mirrorless camera that is going
to steal sales from newly introduced DSLRs, though. I would guess that
no such camera will be announced before second quarter next year. Nikon
seems to like announcing major new bodies in April.

I don't think anybody really likes the mirror. It is one more moving
part to break, makes too much noise, introduces too much vibration, and
even scares wildlife with the "blinking eye" effect. DX viewfinders in
particular are too dim. Its only advantage -- and a rapidly diminishing
advantage at that -- has been speed and resolution. Well, the mirror
also uses less battery power. The question has never been whether a
mirrorless camera would be better for most purposes. The only question
has been how long it will take to develop one that will meet
professional needs. As far as I am concerned, the sooner the mirror is
gone, the better, but its replacement cannot be inferior to a DSLR in
any way.