Battery question - canon 1D mkIV

Old August 15th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Battery question - canon 1D mkIV

Robert Coe wrote:
Too bad they
: didn't make the plug even more unique on the camera, or make it talk to the
: power-supply to recognize OEM power-supplies only. I'm sure that's next on
: their bean-counters' "to do" lists.

Cell phones already do exactly that. My son-in-law found me an adapter to
connect the charger for my Blackberry, which has a digital-camera USB socket,
to my LG phone, which has the tinier USB socket common to "dumb" cell phones
these days - the object being to carry one fewer charger on trips. It works,
but the LG complains that the charging cord "isn't authorized for this phone".

My antique Razr cell phone stopped working with it's original charger so
can now only be charged by USB from a computer, and only one cable
works...gah! it's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Sony laptop's battery died soon after purchase but it works fine on the
power supply plug... the battery sits on a shelf.
Old August 15th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

N wrote:

The neighbour posted some iPhone 4 pics on Flickr and I couldn't believe
how bad they were, like having stacked polarizers. Royal blue sky and
stronger royal blue harbour water. Admittedly, the harbour water
sometimes looks blue, it's more often a soft greenish blue.

Could have been the retro polaroid filter if framed in a white border.
Old August 15th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Henry Olson

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:59:49 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

Cell phones already do exactly that. My son-in-law found me an adapter to
connect the charger for my Blackberry, which has a digital-camera USB socket,
to my LG phone, which has the tinier USB socket common to "dumb" cell phones
these days - the object being to carry one fewer charger on trips. It works,
but the LG complains that the charging cord "isn't authorized for this phone".

In-car GPS units already do this, but not quite so sophisticated as to be
digitally keyed. A common mini-USB plug, but they alter one of the pins
with a resistor or something so that other universal cords can't be used
for charging or powering the device. Without the OEM adapter you can't
charge your car's GPS unit. No doubt digital-keying will be next.

Are you listening, you lousy ****ing bean-counter demons that are the only
ones designing our cameras today? You're asleep at the switch! You should
be fired INSTANTLY for all the obvious revenue you've lost for your
respective camera company, by not digitally keying adapters and batteries
to your cameras!

Photographers don't design new cameras for photographer's purposes today,
bean-counter accountants design today's cameras for bean-counters'
purposes. There's been no real camera innovations for about the last 3
years. So why buy new ones? There's many many excellent cameras on the used
market, some far better than anything offered today. As long as
manufacturers are letting their lousy bean-counters design our cameras I
see no need to upgrade. More often buying a newer camera today is a major
downgrade.

Aw darn, those bean-counters are causing a loss of sales. But it looked SO
good on their "job security only" spreadsheets, didn't it.

There's much more to a company's longevity than "value engineering". "Value
engineering" could (and will) be the root cause of a company's demise.

Old August 15th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:40:26 -0500, Henry Olson wrote:

: There's been no real innovations in cameras for many years now.

Ah, yes, I pegged you as the pest.

No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery installed; all
the AC adapter does is keep tha battery charged while you use it.

Actually your claim is untrue for every laptop I ever used.

And laptop
batteries that keep track of when to die do it by counting the number of times
their charge falls below a threshold level, not the number of times the
computer is turned on with a charger present.

Constantly charging the battery without need and subjecting it
to laptop working temperatures without need isn't beneficial to
the battery life --- and some batteries keep track of
incoming and outgoing electrons.

-Wolfgang
Old August 15th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

N wrote:

I have a neighbour who
constantly brags about how good Apple is and has to have every Apple product
as soon as it's available.

I earn my living using Windows products, but I don't brag about Microsoft.

Not being an Apple or Microsoft user[1], I still understand why
people brag about Apple and don't brag about Microsoft. :-)

-Wolfgang

[1] OK, I admit owning an XP computer without Internet for
games only.

Old August 16th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
The problem is that Canon batteries have been getting smarter. For
example, I
believe the 7D can be told to keep track of all its batteries, tell you
when
to charge them and which one to use next, etc. All Canon has to do to
make
that functionality unreproducible by a 3rd-party vendor is encrypt the
information provided by the battery. So if the feature matters to you,
you may
be stuck.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Makes for another factor to consider when folk are choosing
between systems.

Cheers,
David

You can buy third party batteries for the 7D that have all the functions of
the Canon battery. They are often referred to as being "chipped". If I
remember correctly mine cost just under $40 including shipping. Non-chipped
batteries are less than half that, but can't be recharged in the Canon
charger and can't communicate with camera. I have been amazed at the number
of pics I get on a charge and I am using an IS lens. I have only charged
the non-Canon battery once and according to my camera I have taken 277 pics
and the battery still has 56% of a full charge. I will probably take 2-3
recharge cycles to get the battery up to full capacity.

Ron

Old August 19th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

On 2010-08-14 17:42:33 -0700, "N" said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

Alas, I'm pretty sure that not a word of that last paragraph is true. No
laptop that I've ever used would work at all without a battery
installed;

Lots do. Retailers display the laptops without batteries installed.

Drop by an Apple store sometime, and check on the ease of removing a
battery from a Macbook Pro.

I wouldn't be game to go into an Apple store. I have a neighbour who
constantly brags about how good Apple is and has to have every Apple product
as soon as it's available. To be fair, he's a video editor and uses Final
Cut Pro to earn a living, but I just tire of hearing about his latest and
greatest iPhone, iPad, iThis and iThat.

I earn my living using Windows products, but I don't brag about Microsoft.

The neighbour posted some iPhone 4 pics on Flickr and I couldn't believe how
bad they were, like having stacked polarizers. Royal blue sky and stronger
royal blue harbour water. Admittedly, the harbour water sometimes looks
blue, it's more often a soft greenish blue.

The iPhone doesn't let you change exposure, white balance, saturation,
etc.?

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.