Samyang lenses?

Old September 19th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Samyang lenses?

Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

Old September 19th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
No One[_3_]

No One wrote:
Samyang AFAIK makes Phoenix and Quantray lenses

Ouch.

They were ahead of their time, like a Lens baby, you could shift the plane
of focus just from the amount of "free play" in the lens barrel

Old September 19th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

No One wrote:
Samyang AFAIK makes Phoenix and Quantray lenses

Ouch.

They were ahead of their time, like a Lens baby, you could shift the plane
of focus just from the amount of "free play" in the lens barrel

That's an innovative product (not that I have one). But the reputation
of "Phoenix" and "Quantray" is not very encouraging.
Old September 19th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Me

Alan Browne wrote:

Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

There have been some excellent reviews of the Samyang 85mm f1.4. It
seems to perform about as well as the Nikkor 85mm f.14 AIs, actually
noticeably sharper wide open across a (35mm) full frame, build quality
apparently not as good as the Nikkor (but metal bodied Nikkor AIs are
quite special). Only real "failing" is they don't seem to have the
technology for good multicoating of elements, so more prone to flare and
ghosting.
The 14mm f2.8 might be interesting. Surely more of a challenge to make
something like that, and if they don't have the coatings right, then
flare and ghosting will be a real issue.
IIRC they also make a Dx circular fisheye (8mm? - I can't remember) I
did read a review from a user who was very happy with one, but IIRC he
was using it on a D80, and it had some CA. Not sure how well Nikon's
auto CA correction on later cameras would work on a fisheye.

Old September 20th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Tuthill[_3_]

On 2009-09-19 14:34:22 -0600, Alan Browne
said:

No One wrote:
Samyang AFAIK makes Phoenix and Quantray lenses

Ouch.

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

Their 85mm f1.4 is well regarded and available on eBay for $350 or so.
It's manual focus of course.

Old September 20th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
M J Wyllie

Alan Browne wrote:

Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

Hello Alan, about a month or 2 ago, I bought a Samyang 8mm Fish-eye to play around with. I have no
idea whether the shots I get with it are good or bad compared to other fish-eyes, but i'm pretty
happy with what it does! Here are 4 pics for you to decide!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...deBridgeF2.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...G_MJWyllie.jpg

The last one i was gonna submit for the previous shoot-in, but due to a computer crash, could not
submit it in time....
Old September 20th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
M J Wyllie

M J Wyllie wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

Hello Alan, about a month or 2 ago, I bought a Samyang 8mm Fish-eye to
play around with. I have no idea whether the shots I get with it are
good or bad compared to other fish-eyes, but i'm pretty happy with what
it does! Here are 4 pics for you to decide!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...deBridgeF2.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...G_MJWyllie.jpg

The last one i was gonna submit for the previous shoot-in, but due to a
computer crash, could not submit it in time....

Oops, I put the same pic in twice. Meant to show this one

www.members.optusnet.com.au/mjwyllie/MA-06.jpg
Old September 20th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

M J Wyllie wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Just came across this manufacturer at dpr.

Anyone have any of their lenses?

Thoughts? Are they as good as Stigma (at least)?

( a new WA les (FF)):
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

Hello Alan, about a month or 2 ago, I bought a Samyang 8mm Fish-eye to
play around with. I have no idea whether the shots I get with it are
good or bad compared to other fish-eyes, but i'm pretty happy with what
it does! Here are 4 pics for you to decide!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...deBridgeF2.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m.../Tav_Alley.jpg

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/m...G_MJWyllie.jpg

The last one i was gonna submit for the previous shoot-in, but due to a
computer crash, could not submit it in time....

That last one is an interesting use of the fisheye distortion in framing
the tucks in the gap in the fence. Lens seems to be pretty good.

Thx.