40d focusing screen

Old September 18th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

Default 40d focusing screen

"John" wrote in message
news:FOKdnVyElaxxVS7XnZ2dnUVZ8tqdnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
I have a canon 40d and when I have my 24-70mm on and you press the shutter
button halfway it begins to focus, in the viewfinder it looks blury but the
photos come out sharp, anybody have any ideas, thanks.

--
http://www.xposurephotography.co.uk

I'm not familiar with Canon, but most dslr's have a diopter adjustment for
the viewfinder.
There should be a little wheel to turn near the eyepiece to bring the
viewfinder into focus.

Old September 18th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

John wrote:
http://www.xposurephotography.co.uk

I'm not familiar with Canon, but most dslr's have a diopter adjustment
for the viewfinder.
There should be a little wheel to turn near the eyepiece to bring the
viewfinder into focus.

Its not the diopter, the screen can be in focus but when I half press it
goes blured

Take the lens off, and see if there's an obvious misalignment of the VF
glass under the prism. If you use google, you'll possibly find
instructions for viewfinder screen replacement, hopefully with
instructions and images of what it should look like, and how it's held
in place.
The AF uses a mirror behind the main semi-silvered mirror to reflect
part of the image to the AF sensors on the bottom of the mirror box. If
the mirror rather than the screen/prism was damaged/misaligned, then it
probably wouldn't auto-focus correctly.