M9 - Full Frame - 18 Mpix - IR filter

Old September 15th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Hanz

Default M9 - Full Frame - 18 Mpix - IR filter

On 2009-09-09 17:24:27 -0700, Rich said:
On Sep 9, 8:10 pm, Rich wrote:
Ooops! Some moire seen in this sample image (see grey cinched flag on
right hand side).
http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/le...1070505_aw.jpg

Actually it is quite obvious, and disconcerting. (BTW it is an umbrella
not a flag)

And the corners are mush and vignetted* (especially noticeable in the upper
and lower left corners). You'd be better off with a Stigma 12-24 on a 5D2.

...and some CA as well. If there is software in the camera to deal with
the really really tough problem of aliasing (would this image have been
worse without that) you'd say they could have fixed the CA and the
vignetting.

*: Even if the tilted microlenses on the sensor work, the near-symmetric
wide angle lenses used on rangefinder cameras have about a stop more
vignetting than retrofocus lenses. Landscape types who care about their
images use center filters on such lenses.

-- Hans
Old September 15th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 15th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rol_Lei Nut

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

The Leica R system had many absolutely world-class teles. They are still
preferred by many nature photographers.

Unfortunately, Leica in their great wisdom have terminated the system.

There are many R users waiting to see if Leica keeps their promise of
providing an "adequate" solution for using those lenses on a digital body...
Old September 15th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

The Leica R system had many absolutely world-class teles. They are still
preferred by many nature photographers.

Unfortunately, Leica in their great wisdom have terminated the system.

Leica would have happily kept "R" up. OTOH, the shareholders didn't see
even mediocre cashflow v. the product costs.

There are many R users waiting to see if Leica keeps their promise of
providing an "adequate" solution for using those lenses on a digital
body...

I hope they have good breathing rhythm. I suspected with the recent
hoopla over the "2009.09.09 @ 09:00" they would have and R9MkII
announcement, alas...
Old September 15th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.
Old September 16th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-09-15 13:32:18 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.

Yeah. For all the raving about the advantages of rangefinder cameras,
people sometimes forget that the SLR has its advantages, too.

Old September 16th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.

Of course, now digital rangefinders could use the LCD for framing, and
contrast detect auto-focus....

David

Old September 16th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2009-09-15 13:32:18 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp

Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you
listening, Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But
Leica does not have the long lenses I need for much of my
photography. Still....

Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.

Yeah. For all the raving about the advantages of rangefinder cameras,
people sometimes forget that the SLR has its advantages, too.

The market sorted that out 30 years ago which essentially drove RF's (at
least the successful ones) to the higher end of that niche. Still, RF's
are a favourite of many journalists (combat, travel mags, nat-geo and so
on).
Old September 16th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

John A. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:32:18 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2009-09-09 16:06:54 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090909leicam9.asp
Some day I am going to get me one of those. Seriously.

Right after the 200-400 VR, the 600 VR, and the second D3x body. Yep.

Sure, I would love the smaller body size, the light weight, the
selection of smaller lenses (even pancake lenses -- are you listening,
Nikon?), and just the coolness of having a Leica. But Leica does not
have the long lenses I need for much of my photography. Still....

Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.

I fail to see how any particular tree species could give it more
problems than others.

I smoeimets mkae tpoys.
Old September 17th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Rangefinders (not just Leica) have rarely had long lenses. For one,
large lenses can obstruct the viewfinder, ficus is difficult and the
viewfinder would need significant magnification to make framing (and
focus?) possible.

Of course, now digital rangefinders could use the LCD for framing, and
contrast detect auto-focus....

Good point ... but then would they be rangefinders - or just Oly 4/3
variants?

;-)