Nikon, I do mean adieu

Old September 2nd 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
trouble

Default Nikon, I do mean adieu

Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and historically
the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the higher
end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the point
of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

Old September 2nd 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

trouble wrote:
Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and
historically the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the
higher end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the
point of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

Carefully chosen, Nikon products are very good. I do agree, from 2nd
hand sources, that Nikon warranty (or even repair) service is very
uneven. (I did repair a Nikon lens recently, and other than the high
repair cost, it was done per estimated time and the work was flawless).

If I ever abandon Sony/Minolta it will probably be towards Canon,
although I've always preferred the metering (from the way it operates as
well as results) on most Nikon bodies.
Old September 2nd 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara[_2_]

"trouble" wrote in message
Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and
historically the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the
higher end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the
point of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

Pretty much have to get a D300 on up these days, but then, those are better
built than any Nikon's I've owned in the past, except possibly my Nikon F.
My D200 is certainly more robust, with more features, than either my N8008s
or my F100. Anything less than the D300x is fairly pedestrian by today's
DSLR standards. But then, so's the competition.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old September 2nd 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"trouble" wrote in message
Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and
historically the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the
higher end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the
point of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

Isn't this a bit of a generalisation?
I have been buying Canon for years (film and digital). In the past 8 years,
I've owned a G1, Pro1, Rebel XT, D30 and now a 5D Mrk II, yet all of these
were not equally good. For example, I've had repeated problems with the lens
of the Pro 1. Yet I'm not saying that Canon is no good or excellent. It all
depends on the model.
The same goes for Nikon. I've heard great stories and sad ones. Nikon has
great cameras and great lenses. However, ALL models are not created equal.
To generalise on Nikon is wrong. Some P&S are not as good as others, but
I've heard a lot of acclaim re the D700, D3, etc.
Perhaps your expectations were too great for the model you had chosen?
Perhaps the store that took care of the problems you were faced with was not
professional. Often, the company heavily depends on the middleman...
Cheers,
Marcel

Old September 2nd 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Geoff. Hayward

"trouble" wrote in message
Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and
historically the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the
higher end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the
point of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

So WTF products are you complaining about? At least give the rest of us a
chance to avoid them.

Geoff.

Old September 3rd 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

nice troll... go away now...

Old September 7th 09, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nick c[_3_]

trouble wrote:
Thirty years of using Nikons (non-pro).
Much Nikon gear sells at a premium compared to competitors and
historically the surcharge has been worth it for the quality provided.
My last two Nikon purchases have not been like my umpteen prior Nikon
purchases.
The quality was sorely lacking regardless of price point, one at the
higher end and one at the lower.
Manufacturers of technically complex products can only chase low wage
production so far and my experience suggests Nikon may have passed the
point of no return.
Sadly I cannot say much good for Nikon warranty repair service although
doubtless many can and will.
After all these years I am about to give Canon a run for my money.

I have the D700 and D300. I've not needed to use Nikon's repair
service (warranty or otherwise) to repair either camera so I can't
fault or compliment the service. I can say the quality built into
either camera is top notch. Every bit as good as Nikon's high end film
cameras.