Curious - who uses Dropbox?

Old February 26th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
nospam

Default Curious - who uses Dropbox?

In article 201202261407399530-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

Another reason my primary "on the road" back up is my Hyperdrive
Colorspace UDMA. Quick and simple. It does incremental back ups making
it efficient and fast. Best of all, a computer does not have to be
involved.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
price or more than a laptop?

which laptop fits in your pants pocket?

The Colorspace UDMA might be a bit chunky for pants pockets. Perhaps OK
for a cargo pocket on good cargo pants, but still quite a lump.
I have a multi-pocket Columbia vest which serves my purposes for
appropriate sized pockets, and is very much a "grab and go" piece of
auxiliary clothing. That is one of the pockets I would use if I needed
to carry it in other than my bag.

based on the specs, 5.25" x 2.95" x 1", it should fit in most pants
pockets. it's just long, so it might peek out a bit.
Old February 26th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm

Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
price or more than a laptop?

which laptop fits in your pants pocket?

The Colorspace UDMA might be a bit chunky for pants pockets. Perhaps OK
for a cargo pocket on good cargo pants, but still quite a lump.
I have a multi-pocket Columbia vest which serves my purposes for
appropriate sized pockets, and is very much a "grab and go" piece of
auxiliary clothing. That is one of the pockets I would use if I needed
to carry it in other than my bag.

based on the specs, 5.25" x 2.95" x 1", it should fit in most pants
pockets. it's just long, so it might peek out a bit.

Hugo would have me hunted down and shot.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 27th 12, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-26 10:40:04 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-26 09:24 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 05:56:10 -0800, Savageduck

When on the road, it can be a way of backing up some, or all your image
files even if you are guest using a computer you might have access to.
By the same token, you would also have access to any files you have
maintained in your Dropbox folder.

For me that would require the more expensive 50 GB (or more) account
as a 1 week trip would amount to at least 25 GB of images.

...and that is a reason I have gone with a Pogoplug device and an
unlimited cloud for the cost of the device and HD. If I need more than
the free 5GB on their server and I don't want to use my home "cloud" I
can pay for an extra 30GB for $4.95/mnth, or 100GB for $14.95/mnth for
the period of any trip, be one week or three.

I'll just continue storing the phots on the laptop when on the road.
Some hotels/motels we stay at would be hard pressed to support a 5 - 10
GB upload after a couple days of shooting. WiFi data rates are very
variable on the road. In Cuba it was simple though. There was none.
(The hotel had internet but other guests told me it couldn't even be
used for simple browsing or webmail - too slow).

Another reason my primary "on the road" back up is my Hyperdrive
Colorspace UDMA. Quick and simple. It does incremental back ups making
it efficient and fast. Best of all, a computer does not have to be
involved.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
price or more than a laptop?

It is not there as a laptop replacement.

I have a 250GB Colorspace UDMA which cost me $300 in 2009. It serves
its purpose as I can drop it in my bag, or a vest pocket and not be
burdened with a laptop for initial backups. Those I will make make at
the hotel, lodge, camp, car or home. I can upgrade the drive upward
from 250GB myself if the need ever arose. Power usage is miserly and I
am assured of being able to make at least one backup at even the most
remote of sites.

There again I have all sorts of stuff which appeal to me and I seem to
find a use for, when others scratch their heads. ;-)

D'oh! I'd totally lost the plot.

Curious measekite Digital Photography 4 February 14th 09 05:36 PM
Free DropBox Image Processor. [email protected] Digital Photography 0 September 4th 07 08:41 AM
I'm curious Inaccessible 35mm Photo Equipment 0 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM