Sony 135 f/1.8 v. Hasselblad 120 f/4 Makro - last test

Old September 27th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony 135 f/1.8 v. Hasselblad 120 f/4 Makro - last test

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Alan Browne wrote
The Sony appears a little less sharp than the Hassy lens, and
the colour of the Hassy shot seems a little more pleasing.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9825952&size=lg

This puts to rest, IMO, the nonsense opinions of some that Sony
(ex-Minolta lens works) can't build a Carl Zeiss design to Carl
Zeiss quality.

I don't see any difference in sharpness but the Sony still shows a
bit of CA at the edges of the white highlights.

I'll look at that tomorrow but I'd be very surprised - this is a
center 10% crop - CA? I doubt it. ... Fresh eyes tomorrow, SO is
nagging me to go watch Dexter ... (This lens does show green/red CA
towards the edges - correctable in raw import).

It's pretty minor. My method for comparing is to badly over-sharpen
them to emphasize stuff.

I looked at it (in raw) at 400% and while there is a red reflection on
some edges, there is no corresponding green on opposite edges (typical
of CA).

I also oversharpened and see pretty much the same thing. I think it's
just the way the light reflects off of the coin.

I'm not sure what it is either but it's not on the hassy version, or
less so. It could be axial/longitudinal CA which goes all the way around
highlights but that's normally purple/green for background/foreground.
Or it could be that in a center crop, it doesn't show sides, just a ring
of one color or another and the color differs by focus (the two have
slightly different focus distances as noted.
http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials...ons/chromatic/
Heck, it could be the result of a more contrasty rendering.

It could be the way that metal surface structure and angle relative to
the source 'grates' the light, resulting in a filtering of wavelengths
other than red.

That site above is pretty cool.