Olympus 4/3rds advantages fading

Old September 23rd 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Default Olympus 4/3rds advantages fading

"RichA" wrote in message
Dear Olympus: You can take the silly 140-600mm sticker off your
70-300mm lens. The party is over.
Canon now has an 18 megapixel APS sensored camera. There are numerous
15 megapixel APS cameras out there. So, the so-called 4/3rds reach
advantage is now erased. Olympus kit lenses are very good, but have
you checked out Nikon's most recent 18-55mm? I'd wager it is a match
to the 14-42mm and it's much cheaper. Even Sony, who had the worst
kit lens on the planet now has a very good one. Olympus pro and top
pro lenses may still have an edge when it comes to overall correction
compared to some of the competition, but likely no one would seriously
compare an E-30 with 7-14mm f4 to a D700 with Nikon's 14-24mm f2.8.
What Olympus does still have is a size advantage and it seems that
(maybe) people are slowly gravitating towards smaller sized systems
because they are easier to put up with.

I'm not familiar with the Olympus line -- is the model you speak of any
smaller than a Nikon D40 or D60? Because really that's about as small as I
care to have a DSLR anyway.

Anything that isn't actually pocketable . . . ought to be large enough to
hold and operate comfortably, as far as I'm concerned.

Old September 23rd 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Neil Harrington wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

And that depends on the size of your hands doesn't it? I think MOST guys
don't think about the fact women has smaller hands and we like a smaller
camera. While my E410/pancake doesn't fit in a pocket, it fits into a
purse quite easily. Ignoring things like this is discounting 50% of the
population.

Just because something doesn't fit YOUR needs, doesn't mean it doesn't
have any value. But then Neil, this seems to be how your mind operates.

Stephanie
Old September 23rd 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

wrote in message ...
Neil Harrington wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

That's the size hands my cameras have to go with, yes.

I think MOST guys don't think about the fact women has smaller hands and
we like a smaller camera.

Right. Why would we?

While my E410/pancake doesn't fit in a pocket, it fits into a purse quite
easily. Ignoring things like this is discounting 50% of the population.

The 50% of the population of which I am a part does not carry a purse. How
you figure this is "discounting" the other 50% I have no idea. They are none
of my business.

Just because something doesn't fit YOUR needs, doesn't mean it doesn't
have any value. But then Neil, this seems to be how your mind operates.

This is a good example of how YOUR mind operates, Stephanie. Take everything
personally even if it doesn't concern you in the least, then whine, bitch
and complain about it.

Old September 24th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Neil Harrington wrote:
wrote in message ...
Neil Harrington wrote:

Anything that isn't actually pocketable . . . ought to be large enough to
hold and operate comfortably, as far as I'm concerned.

And that depends on the size of your hands doesn't it?

That's the size hands my cameras have to go with, yes.

I think MOST guys don't think about the fact women has smaller hands and
we like a smaller camera.

Right. Why would we?

Uh, maybe because 50% of the population might find this size works for
them? What you have suggested here is there is no reason for this camera
to exist since it doesn't fit your hands.

Stephanie
Old September 25th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

John McWilliams wrote:
wrote: Neil Harrington wrote:
wrote in message

I think MOST guys don't think about the fact women has smaller hands
and we like a smaller camera.

Right. Why would we?

Uh, maybe because 50% of the population might find this size works
for them? What you have suggested here is there is no reason for this
camera to exist since it doesn't fit your hands.

Hello, Stephanie! Welcome!

It's notable to see a [new?] [lady?] in the NG feel so comfortable
taking on long time posters in such a confrontational manner. Or have
you posted here before under a different name?

New yes. Lady yes.

I guess after reading Neil personally attacking people in other threads
for their opinions being different than his narrow minded view of the
world, this comment he made here was no different. Seems quite a few
people are guilty of this? Like Allen seems to assume EVERYONE wants to
make prints 30X40 or larger! It's my experience that -MOST- people
rarely print larger than 4X6 or 5X7. Given the size of my home, I have
no interest in printing larger than 11X14. The main reason I use a Dslr
is shutter lag and having some control.

It seems some people can't accept that MAYBE just because something
doesn't fit their needs, this same thing might be perfect for someone
else. Whether it's health care or a small camera.

Some people have smaller hands (like 50% of the population) so these
smaller form factor cameras are much nicer to use. It might not fit in a
man pocket, but some of these will fit into a womans purse. To try to
argue that some are too small, yet not small enough and shouldn't be
considered, is assuming EVERYONE is just like them.

The other thing that gets old is people trying to argue about something
either you can't see in the final print or you'd (seriously) have to
take a loupe to a print to see. Maybe the math and numbers would prove
their argument (pixel peeping anyone?), but if you can't SEE this in the
results, who cares? Last I checked photography was a visual art form :-)

Instead of seeing people discussing various optics or something you CAN
see, 90% of the threads are about "My canon has less noise at 1600iso
than your nikon" sorta things. That really doesn't help anyone.

Stephanie
Old September 25th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

wrote in message

[...]

You are right in each and every paragraph, although I don't experience
Neil as generally on the attack. There's no one with a perfect posting
style here, except maybe you and me.

I am wont to make absurd statements without a smiley, seeing where the
whoosh may fall....

I hope the 'extras' here won't deter you.

--
john mcwilliams

Usenet is dead; film at eleven.
Old September 26th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Rich wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:03 am, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

[...]

No, it's an enthusiast camera (below pro and semi-pro) and it's about
the size of a Canon 50D.
But, it is smaller/lighter than a D300 or D700.

Ah, thanks. "Enthusiast camera" to me seems a good term for something like a
D80 or D90, so I assume that's the sort of thing you mean.

I certainly agree about the advantages of small size and light weight,
especially now that I'm an old geezer. I love my D200 but seldom take it out
of the house.