Canon Rebel T1i for sports?

Old September 24th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Canon Rebel T1i for sports?

I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the AF
was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports using
that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

Old September 24th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Bowser wrote:
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the
AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports
using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

Is that a different name for this one? Canon EOS 1000D / Digital Rebel XS

If so, this page may be a good look:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_e os5d%2Ccanon_eos7d%2Ccanon_eos1000d%2Ccanon_eos5dm kii&show=all

It's but 3 fps, but otherwise looks all right.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 24th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lunabella

T1i is also known as the 500D http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/
Old September 25th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Lunabella wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Bowser wrote:
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how
the AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting
sports using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

Is that a different name for this one? Canon EOS 1000D / Digital
Rebel XS

If so, this page may be a good look:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_e os5d%2Ccanon_eos7d%2Ccanon_eos1000d%2Ccanon_eos5dm kii&show=all

It's but 3 fps, but otherwise looks all right.

T1i is also known as the 500D http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

Ah, thanks. That makes sense, given the date of the camera. That makes
the URL that follows a bit more on the money:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_e os500d%2Ccanon_eos5d%2Ccanon_eos7d&show=all

I do love that side by side bit.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 25th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom from WI[_2_]

"Bowser" wrote in message
ster.com...
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the
AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports
using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

I have been using the T1i for HS Football games for about a month and am
very satisfied with it. I do not have any stabilized lenses but have found I
don't really need them. I use my Canon 75-300mm lens (the cheap one) mostly
at the 300mm end and mostly at ISO 400. I have taken a few pictures at the
very high ISO (12,800) at night games and the prints (4X6, no cropping) are
very acceptable to me.

I am not a pro, just a grandpa covering his grandkids game.
Tom

Old September 25th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Bowser wrote:
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the
AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports
using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

Borrow or rent one to try it out.
The 5dII AF isn't very good at all for moving targets. I doubt that
you'd get better from 300d-500d.
A used 1d Mk II (seem to go for about $1.5k and below) would be what I'd
look for, but perhaps the 30d-50d bodies if you're on a budget below that.
Old September 25th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H.

Bowser wrote:
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the
AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports
using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

for the price, have you considered a 50d? i absolutely love mine. the
only sports type shooting that i've done since i got it last month has
only been skateboarding and puppies running and playing in the yard. i
also shoot dog shows (indoors and outdoors). no IS lenses yet, just a
tamron 17-50 2.8, tamron 75-300 4-5.6, and the 50 1.8. coming from an
xsi im very pleased at the results. for indoor dog shows i end up
shooting at 800-1600 iso without any effect on image quality. the camera
is nice and fast paired with sandisk extreme III cards as well.

just a thought if you dont need (or want) the video feature of the t1i
and are looking at a more professional type body.

checked the prices via amazon for a quick comparison. body only the t1i
is $711, and the 50d is $1051.

of course...you could always wait for that sexy 7d as well.
Old September 25th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

"Me" wrote in message
Bowser wrote:
I'm looking for a second body to shoot sports, and was wondering how the
AF was on the T1i for something like HS football? Anyone shooting sports
using that cam? Any ideas how the AF compares to the 5D II?

Borrow or rent one to try it out.
The 5dII AF isn't very good at all for moving targets. I doubt that you'd
get better from 300d-500d.

I'm using a 5D II now for night football, that's why I asked about a
comparison to that model. It's my baseline. I'd love a 1 series, or a new
7D, but they're both too expensive.