Samyang lenses?

Old September 21st 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Neil Harrington

Default Samyang lenses?

"No One" wrote in message ...
Samyang AFAIK makes Phoenix and Quantray lenses

Phoenix, yes. Quantaray lenses used to be made by Sigma I'm pretty sure,
though I don't know if that's still true. It's basically just a brand name
with no specific manufacturer behind it.

Old September 21st 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Neil Harrington

"Me" wrote in message

There have been some excellent reviews of the Samyang 85mm f1.4.

Is that the same as the 85mm f/1.4 sold under the Vivitar name, do you know?

The Vivitar 85/1.4 is manual focus only.

Old September 21st 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Me

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

There have been some excellent reviews of the Samyang 85mm f1.4.

Is that the same as the 85mm f/1.4 sold under the Vivitar name, do you know?

The Vivitar 85/1.4 is manual focus only.

I think it is - can be Vivitar/Bower/Quantaray/Samyang. It's not all
good - Thom Hogan tried the lens (Bower labelled) and has some less than
favourable comments in this thread on DPReview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31795434
It may have been a QA fault, but he had problems getting it to stop down
properly on Nikon bodies. Thom's not "anti" lower cost third party lenses.
Old September 22nd 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Neil Harrington

"Me" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

There have been some excellent reviews of the Samyang 85mm f1.4.

Is that the same as the 85mm f/1.4 sold under the Vivitar name, do you
know?

The Vivitar 85/1.4 is manual focus only.

I think it is - can be Vivitar/Bower/Quantaray/Samyang. It's not all
good - Thom Hogan tried the lens (Bower labelled) and has some less than
favourable comments in this thread on DPReview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31795434
It may have been a QA fault, but he had problems getting it to stop down
properly on Nikon bodies. Thom's not "anti" lower cost third party lenses.

Thanks.

The one I saw advertised under the Vivitar name as I recall was about $350.
Heh. That's actually close to what I paid for my Nikkor 85/1.8, only about
two-thirds of a stop slower and of course autofocus.

Old September 22nd 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Me

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

There have been some excellent reviews of the Samyang 85mm f1.4.
Is that the same as the 85mm f/1.4 sold under the Vivitar name, do you
know?

The Vivitar 85/1.4 is manual focus only.

I think it is - can be Vivitar/Bower/Quantaray/Samyang. It's not all
good - Thom Hogan tried the lens (Bower labelled) and has some less than
favourable comments in this thread on DPReview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31795434
It may have been a QA fault, but he had problems getting it to stop down
properly on Nikon bodies. Thom's not "anti" lower cost third party lenses.

Thanks.

The one I saw advertised under the Vivitar name as I recall was about $350.
Heh. That's actually close to what I paid for my Nikkor 85/1.8, only about
two-thirds of a stop slower and of course autofocus.

Yep. While I like the build quality of Nikkor AI lenses, I'm not fond of
manual focus lenses any more, except for macro, but I guess that depends
on what and how you shoot. I'd rather have a Nikkor 85 AF D f1.8 than
the Samyang.