Need Help with Time Exposure for Nikon D40

Old September 21st 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Default Need Help with Time Exposure for Nikon D40

Jeff wrote:
Help, please! How does one do a long shutter speed with the Nikon
D40? I've tried the manual ("M") setting and I can't get to a slow
shutter speed. I must be doing something simply and wrong, but I
don't know what. Thanks,

If you mean longer than 30 seconds then the general procedure for
cameras is to set it to "bulb" and then use an external shutter
release that can be lock the shutter open.

--
Ray Fischer

Old September 21st 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Jeff wrote:
On Sep 20, 7:49?pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Help, please! ?How does one do a long shutter speed with the Nikon
D40? ?I've tried the manual ("M") setting and I can't get to a slow
shutter speed. ?I must be doing something simply and wrong, but I
don't know what. ?Thanks,

If you mean longer than 30 seconds then the general procedure for
cameras is to set it to "bulb" and then use an external shutter
release that can be lock the shutter open.

--
Ray Fischer ? ? ? ?
?

For some reason, I can't get the speed to go below 1/32nd.

Don't know that camera, but you've probably got an option set which
your "intelligent" camera has decided should forbid slower shutter
speeds. Check your settings against your manual.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old September 21st 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bristolian

Jeff wrote:
Help, please! How does one do a long shutter speed with the Nikon
D40? I've tried the manual ("M") setting and I can't get to a slow
shutter speed. I must be doing something simply and wrong, but I
don't know what. Thanks,

If you mean longer than 30 seconds then the general procedure for
cameras is to set it to "bulb" and then use an external shutter
release that can be lock the shutter open.

--
Ray Fischer

For some reason, I can't get the speed to go below 1/32nd.

Hey, Jeff, are you sure you're not looking at the aperture rather than
shutter speed?

1/32 would be the smallest aperture for the D40 kit lenses and it's NOT
a selectable shutter speed.

HTH :-)

--
Regards