Ringing Larry Thong

Old September 6th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

Default Ringing Larry Thong

This is really off topic, an eBay question, and I apologize for posting it
here. I did post it on the appropriate NG, alt.marketing.online.ebay, but
there I ran into the crabby Kris Baker (I'm sure you remember Kris Baker
even if you haven't been to that NG for some time -- it's years since I was
last there myself) who was of course 100% unhelpful and nothing but a
determined pain in the ass.

Here's my question as I posted it there -- the listing I was asking about
was for a used Nikon body so I suppose it's at least vaguely relevant he

_____________________

I'm looking at an item for sale on eBay. The latest part of the bidding list
shows the following, in this order:

g***c( 0 ) US $305.00 Sep-05-09 06:54:15 PDT

r***a( 13) US $300.00 Sep-04-09 08:46:15 PDT

g***c( 0 ) US $280.00 Sep-05-09 06:54:04 PDT

c***z( 35) US $250.00 Sep-04-09 07:54:09 PDT

Now I must be missing something here. I don't see how g***c's bid at $280 on
Sep 5 could be listed when r***a already had a $300 bid in the day before.

Can someone explain this to me?

Old September 6th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Larry Thong

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:34:46 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

This is really off topic, an eBay question, and I apologize for posting
it here. I did post it on the appropriate NG, alt.marketing.online.ebay,
but there I ran into the crabby Kris Baker (I'm sure you remember Kris
Baker even if you haven't been to that NG for some time -- it's years
since I was last there myself) who was of course 100% unhelpful and
nothing but a determined pain in the ass.

A prime example of why Usenet is dead, it's inhabited by the same old
idiots that don't have a life and are impervious to outside stimulation.

Here's my question as I posted it there -- the listing I was asking
about was for a used Nikon body so I suppose it's at least vaguely
relevant he

_____________________

I'm looking at an item for sale on eBay. The latest part of the bidding
list shows the following, in this order:

g***c( 0 ) US $305.00 Sep-05-09 06:54:15 PDT

r***a( 13) US $300.00 Sep-04-09 08:46:15 PDT

g***c( 0 ) US $280.00 Sep-05-09 06:54:04 PDT

c***z( 35) US $250.00 Sep-04-09 07:54:09 PDT

Now I must be missing something here. I don't see how g***c's bid at
$280 on Sep 5 could be listed when r***a already had a $300 bid in the
day before.

Can someone explain this to me?

Simple, proxy bidding. r***c had his $300 bid in the previous day but it
didn't show the full amount till someone else came along and bid. Look
at the 11 second time difference between g***c's bids, just enough time
to go through eBay's slow servers.

Old September 7th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Larry Thong" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:34:46 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

This is really off topic, an eBay question, and I apologize for posting
it here. I did post it on the appropriate NG, alt.marketing.online.ebay,
but there I ran into the crabby Kris Baker (I'm sure you remember Kris
Baker even if you haven't been to that NG for some time -- it's years
since I was last there myself) who was of course 100% unhelpful and
nothing but a determined pain in the ass.

A prime example of why Usenet is dead, it's inhabited by the same old
idiots that don't have a life and are impervious to outside stimulation.

Evidently. You might enjoy taking a look at the exchange on AMOE, which I
just left minutes ago. I think you'll get a kick out of it. The subject
title is "How can bids show up out of date sequence?"

[...]

Aha. Thanks a lot! You've given me the answer in a minute that I couldn't
get out of the dumb asses at alt.marketing.online.ebay all evening. (I
posted the original question there more than four houts ago.)

Old September 7th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Larry Thong

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:41:54 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

A prime example of why Usenet is dead, it's inhabited by the same old
idiots that don't have a life and are impervious to outside
stimulation.

Evidently. You might enjoy taking a look at the exchange on AMOE, which
I just left minutes ago. I think you'll get a kick out of it. The
subject title is "How can bids show up out of date sequence?"

Thanks for the pointer! I just looked and as I suspected it is the same
people of yesteryear still doing what they normally do, wasting away. I
must say that your "anus" comment hit it right on the head, or should I
say right on the ass?

Simple, proxy bidding. r***c had his $300 bid in the previous day but
it didn't show the full amount till someone else came along and bid.
Look at the 11 second time difference between g***c's bids, just enough
time to go through eBay's slow servers.

Aha. Thanks a lot! You've given me the answer in a minute that I
couldn't get out of the dumb asses at alt.marketing.online.ebay all
evening. (I posted the original question there more than four houts
ago.)

You have to remember that most of these twits were bottom feeding idiots
selling Beanie Babies and other useless ****. There only outlet was to
get on AMOE and bitch about eBay's fees and other ways eBay was keeping
them down. God forbid that they would admit to themselves they had a bad
business model and are total failures. I gave up years ago trying to
stimulate that band of idiots.
Old September 7th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Larry Thong" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:41:54 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

A prime example of why Usenet is dead, it's inhabited by the same old
idiots that don't have a life and are impervious to outside
stimulation.

Evidently. You might enjoy taking a look at the exchange on AMOE, which
I just left minutes ago. I think you'll get a kick out of it. The
subject title is "How can bids show up out of date sequence?"

Thanks for the pointer! I just looked and as I suspected it is the same
people of yesteryear still doing what they normally do, wasting away. I
must say that your "anus" comment hit it right on the head, or should I
say right on the ass?

Yes, the Lumpy character appears to be some sort of Kris Baker sycophant.
And Baker seems to have decided she's the Edna Boil of the newsgroup, but
doesn't even have enough personality for that.

[...]

What a waste of bandwidth that is. Too bad, there doesn't seem to be a
worthwhile eBay newsgroup at all. AMOE was good when you were there, but now
it looks like a dumping ground for the dregs of humanity, with too much time
on their hands and nothing useful to say about anything.