Renumbering sequence of filenames?

Old July 24th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lobster

Default Renumbering sequence of filenames?

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's too
short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP command
window - but how?

Thanks
David
Old July 24th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TRoss

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:30:45 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's too
short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP command
window - but how?

Thanks
David

Google is your friend.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/ren...Tools_Tips.htm

TR
Old July 24th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 25th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:51:53 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:30:45 +0100, Lobster wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

Murphy's Law.
He _will_ , at some point , overwrite an old image with a new image.

Old July 25th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:21:35 +0100, Lobster wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:51:53 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:30:45 +0100, Lobster wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.
Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

Murphy's Law.
He _will_ , at some point , overwrite an old image with a new image.

Exactly! ;-)

And, to press home the effect of Murphy's Law, the old image
will be Very Important, and the new image will be of his feet. :-)
Old November 29th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Well, why don't you use the template like yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss to rename all
your photos? I found that very convenient. It's pretty easy to get this info
from the image itself. I started doing that several years ago and found that
pretty convenient. It's extremely useful when you want to reorder the whole
collection of photos by date/location/event, etc. I usually keep a separate
folder with a silimar name:
"YY-MM-DD ventName" and all photos inside are belonging to this event.

Just D.

Old July 25th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos
had incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find
myself with a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again.
What a PITA.

Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

When putting together a slide show from different times, you can copy to
a new folder without overwriting and they all sort chronologically.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 27th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marco Tedaldi[_6_]

wrote:

Curious as to why this makes a real difference to you?

When putting together a slide show from different times, you can copy to
a new folder without overwriting and they all sort chronologically.

This is only a problem, if you can only sort by filename.
But it's know, that many programs also support sorting by date, whis is
in many cases the better approach anyway.

With the right tools it's easy to correct date and time in the
exif-field of the images and set the filed date to the date in the
exif-header.
I can't see the problem with the numbering. For me, the file numbering
is only an estimate, how many pictures I've already done with this
camera... I just have to know how many times it already wrapped around
at 9999 to 0000 ;-)

bye
kruemi

--
Dimage A2, Agfa isolette
http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi
Old July 25th 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lobster

wrote:

For reasons best known to itself, my Canon Powershot decided to reset
its filename sequence back to zero, so although my library of photos had
incremented up to the filename IMG_1432.JPG, I suddenly find myself with
a new set of photos starting back at IMG_0001.JPG again. What a PITA.

Now, I've solved the original problem and stopped it restting, but I
want to renumber the new files starting from IMG_1433.JPG. Life's too
short to do it manually! Any ideas how to do it? (using Windows XP Home).

I'm sure there must be a way using old MS-DOS commands in the XP command
window - but how?

Google is your friend.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/ren...Tools_Tips.htm

Yeah, did try googling but without success... thanks for the link but
that's not really what I need. (ie, the instructions state: "If you
typed 'file.jpg', the second file will be named 'file (1).jpg', and so
on with increasing numbers.") Although I suppose just as a method of
preventing accidental overwriting I could implement it on the batch of
several hundred wrongly-numbered pics I have. Bit clunky though, and it
means I lose the chronology of file-numbering which is a 'nice-to-have'.

David