Nikon F3 v. F4

Old September 2nd 04, 06:57 PM
Dallas

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:32:26 -0600, Jerry McG wrote:

FWIW, the essentially forgotten F4 was perhaps one of the greatest bodies
Nikon ever made. Unfortunately it seemed to have been designed with AF as an
occasional use feature and the entire product line was "scooped" by Canon's
EOS and internal focusing lens system. I worked with two F4s for about fiuve
years before the F5 came out and I really missed that simple, elegant
camera. You can get them now for a song, not even sure Nikon still supports
them.

Don't I know it!

You obviously haven't been reading the exchanges between Tony Spadaro and
I on this very topic. See the thread "Canon stomps Nikon...again".

I recently picked up an F4s with multi-function back and 28-70mm f/2.6 AF
Angenieux lens for less than what I paid for my 550EX Canon speedlite a
couple of years ago. Having previously owned an F5 I find the F4s to be a
lot friendlier and more versatile than the F5. With an AF-S lens onboard
you will find the AF to be more than capable.

As far as support goes, there is such a big Nikon user community out there
that even if Nikon closed shop tomorrow you'd find support.

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Gordon Moat

Jerry McG wrote:

FWIW, the essentially forgotten F4 was perhaps one of the greatest bodies
Nikon ever made. Unfortunately it seemed to have been designed with AF as an
occasional use feature and the entire product line was "scooped" by Canon's
EOS and internal focusing lens system.

Nikon had internal focus manual focus lenses available for many years prior to
offering autofocus lenses. However, I will agree that the early Nikon autofocus
lenses were not that great.

I worked with two F4s for about fiuve
years before the F5 came out and I really missed that simple, elegant
camera. You can get them now for a song, not even sure Nikon still supports
them.

Nikon in the US still support service on the F4. There are still some
accessories available new for the F4, though with used pricing so good, buying
used items might be a better choice. Also, there are many independent Nikon
repair places in the US, and some are much lower cost than Nikon (some are
faster turnaround time too).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 2nd 04, 09:29 PM
Gordon Moat

Dallas wrote:

[...]

Question for you on your particular F4: do you have the leader out option
activated on it? Also, which multifunction back do you have, and any custom
settings?

Old September 3rd 04, 05:06 AM
Jerry McG

I mis-stated what I meant by "internal focusing". I was referring to Canon
EOS's internal lens motors. Oddly, Nikon pioneered this concept with the
unsuccesful F3AF in the early 80's but adoptewd a less presie, slower
focusing motor-in-body system for the F4 and amateur AF bodies. IMHO,
Canon's early EOS AF system was far superior to Nikon's, however all that
advantage eventually disapeared as Nikon released the F5 & F100, and their
ultrasonic focusing motors.

Old September 3rd 04, 03:57 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:29:43 -0700, Gordon Moat wrote:

Question for you on your particular F4: do you have the leader out option
activated on it? Also, which multifunction back do you have, and any custom
settings?

Gordon, I have the MF-23 back which is quite awesome. As far as custom
functions are concerned, I don't think I have any set on the body, but
will investigate the manual later to see what is available.