scanning 35mm color slides

Old September 2nd 04, 07:26 AM
Wolfgang Exler

"1iJack" wrote:

I need to scan about 3,000 color slides from my grandfather's collection to

quite a big job with your selected equipment:-)

I bought a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV that does batch scans of 4 at
a time.

not an perfect decision

1) what is the best way to clean a slide other than using a can of air? I
mean, that will get the dust and the software cleans up the rest but what
about those slides with finger prints and stuff on them?

I use the cleaning paper for glasses

2) When I try to use the 16bit color depth option, the JPEG format is not
available to save the scans.

I use vuescan, save all images as jpg wth quality set to 75. This results on
file size from 800KB to 1.5MB

3) Is Anyone else using this Dimage IV model and having trouble with Windows
XP?

I use a Nikon LS-2000 with SF-200 sucessfull with Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP
Of course I didn't use Windows ME and did not check on Windows Server 2003

thanks!

your welcome

Wolfgang

Old September 3rd 04, 06:02 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:26:25 +0200, Wolfgang Exler
wrote:

"1iJack" wrote:

I need to scan about 3,000 color slides from my grandfather's collection to

quite a big job with your selected equipment:-)

Agreed
I did and am still doing the family photos over the last 50 years.
I had many thousands of slides on many types of film. Bout a 50:50
mix of Kodachrome and Ektachrome. Maybe another 3000 that were Fuji,
but still E-6. I used the Nikon LS5000-ED with the SF-210 slide
feeder.

I bought a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV that does batch scans of 4 at
a time.

not an perfect decision

1) what is the best way to clean a slide other than using a can of air? I
mean, that will get the dust and the software cleans up the rest but what
about those slides with finger prints and stuff on them?

I use the cleaning paper for glasses

Canned air, sometimes a photoflo solution and care, sometimes the
paper as Wolfgang has done. Oh, and a lot of luck and a scanner that
uses Digital ICE which works great on E-6 and not worth a darn on
Kodachrome.

2) When I try to use the 16bit color depth option, the JPEG format is not
available to save the scans.

I use vuescan, save all images as jpg wth quality set to 75. This results on
file size from 800KB to 1.5MB

Lord! I scan at 4000 dpi and save as TIFFs. Files are about 50 to 60
megs each.

3) Is Anyone else using this Dimage IV model and having trouble with Windows
XP?

I use a Nikon LS-2000 with SF-200 sucessfull with Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP
Of course I didn't use Windows ME and did not check on Windows Server 2003

With the LS5000-ED and SF-210 XP Pro (SP-1 or SP-2) works just fine
using either Nikon Scan4, or VueScan.
No compatibility problems

BTW, I've been working on this project since last February. The last
notebook of negatives took 80Gig of storage and I only have two more
notebooks full of negatives to go. THEN I have something on the order
of 200# worth of very old prints to scan on the flat bed.

I'd have to count, but I think I have used 64 DVDs for archiving.
That is almost 300 Gig and as I said, I have nearly another 160 to go
before starting on the old prints.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

thanks!