CD versus DVD burning photos

Old July 13th 04, 01:20 AM
Big Bill

Default CD versus DVD burning photos

On 12 Jul 2004 16:43:57 -0700, (Cath) wrote:

I have been trying to burn photos from my laptop to CD disk to play on
a TV via a DVD player. I have tried burning the imagaes onto CD with
various programs such as ULead MovieFactory, Roxio CD burner,
Imagemixer even Premiere Pro but the problem is the picture quality is
poor when played on the TV.

My first question:
Would burning to DVD disks be better quality as I also have a DVD
burner but would rather throw away 50c CDs rather than $5 DVDs in the
testing phase?

Yes, burning to DVD can give you better quality; it's an inherent
difference between CD and DVD; the DVD is designed to give better
quality.

Realize that the TV isn't great quality to start with; 720x640, IIRC.

or
Is there another step to do so the photo quality is close to original
through a DVD player?

Which is the best program (without requiring a Uni degree) for burning
both photos and capturing and burning Digital video from a camcorder

I use Pinnacle's Studio for video; some say the learning curve is a
little steep, but I like it.
"Best" is very hard to nail down; the one that you can use to get what
you want is among the best. (Which doesn't help much, I know. Try
downloading free demos of the ones you are looking at, and see which
ones you like)

Although I work in IT support, I am new to all of the above so any
tips would be much appreciatied.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old July 13th 04, 02:32 AM
John S

"Bob" wrote in message
On 12 Jul 2004 16:43:57 -0700, (Cath) wrote:

I have been trying to burn photos from my laptop to CD disk to play on
a TV via a DVD player. I have tried burning the imagaes onto CD with
various programs such as ULead MovieFactory, Roxio CD burner,
Imagemixer even Premiere Pro but the problem is the picture quality is
poor when played on the TV.

You know, a lot of fairly cheap progressive-scan dvd players (like the
phillips dvd727,
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Philips%...page= details
which I happen to own) will happily give you a slideshow of jpg files on a
cd or dvd. They seem to look better than video-encoded ones.

Converting them to cd, the best you can do is svcd (480x480) - dvd would be
720x480 in "movie" format.

But it would be simpler to get a new DVD player

Old July 13th 04, 02:48 AM
Jerry

Get yourself a Kareoke DVD/CD/CD-G/VIDEO CD player.
Quality may be better.

I get great results from this machine when I burn on CD's only $.15 a copy
when I find a sale on CD's.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Old July 13th 04, 08:40 AM
Anthony Horan

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:16:35 -0400, Bob wrote:

First of all, what format are you using for the CDs? Is it some form of VCD?
because that resolution is only half TV!! terrible!

Not if you use VCD's high-resolution still image mode. Unfortunately,
that's something very few slideshow programs are capable of, and the ones
that do (such as Ulead DVD Pictureshow 2) tend to have other serious
problems that make them unusable (for example, Ulead's software fails when
compiling a VCD containing more than a certain amount of slideshows, and
when it compiles the same collection to a DVD there are major problems on
my Sony DVD player).

I would bet that a DVD format is better, since it has twice the resolution of
VCD

VCD still resolution is 704x576 (or 704x480 in NTSC). Sounds just as good
as DVD to me (and in reality, VCDs created using this mode actually look
better than DVD in still picture quality terms).

- Anthony

Old July 14th 04, 03:52 AM
Bob

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:40:53 +1000, Anthony Horan
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:16:35 -0400, Bob wrote:

First of all, what format are you using for the CDs? Is it some form of VCD?
because that resolution is only half TV!! terrible!

Not if you use VCD's high-resolution still image mode.

I haven't heard of that one... none of my equipment could do it.

Unfortunately,
that's something very few slideshow programs are capable of, and the ones
that do (such as Ulead DVD Pictureshow 2) tend to have other serious
problems that make them unusable (for example, Ulead's software fails when
compiling a VCD containing more than a certain amount of slideshows, and
when it compiles the same collection to a DVD there are major problems on
my Sony DVD player).

I would bet that a DVD format is better, since it has twice the resolution of
VCD

VCD still resolution is 704x576 (or 704x480 in NTSC). Sounds just as good
as DVD to me (and in reality, VCDs created using this mode actually look
better than DVD in still picture quality terms).

I made one VCD - it was so terrible I tossed it out. I think you are thinking of
SVCD, and not many machines can play it, but it's only half of DVD res.

But again - I've never heard of any VCD type above half the res. of DVD. Do you
have any lincs to this stuff?

- Anthony