Manual mode. Panasonic FZ15

Old January 16th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Manual mode. Panasonic FZ15

I wanted to take pics of the moon.
The auto settings didn't seem to work that well, so
decided to try the Manual settings, this was the first
time I have really used this option, very pleased with what
you can do, especially under low light conditions.
Old January 16th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

irwell wrote:

I wanted to take pics of the moon.
The auto settings didn't seem to work that well, so
decided to try the Manual settings, this was the first
time I have really used this option, very pleased with what
you can do, especially under low light conditions.

The moon is a tough subject as is most astronomical subjects. The long
zoom lens in addition does not lend itself to kindly to such photography
as well. Worse, long exposures times need a clock driven tripod head to
compensate for the earth's rotation. The closer one is to the equator,
the worse the problem. Never the less, I think that acceptable images
can be captured in an esthetic sense.

My first attempts were on a late afternoon, hand held with dependency on
the image stabilizer in automatic Program mode on my FZ-10. I also took
a few shots with my Leica M2/90 mm Elmar but they have yet to be
processed. I posted the digital shots on:

alt.binaries.photography

JT
Old January 16th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

In ,
irwell typed...

I wanted to take pics of the moon.
The auto settings didn't seem to work that well, so
decided to try the Manual settings, this was the first
time I have really used this option, very pleased with what
you can do, especially under low light conditions.

There's been an interesting thread running on this topic in
rec.photo.digital

The concensus of opinion is that the moon is illuminated by sunlight and
should be treated the same as any other sunlit subject.

The link is to a post that, itself, links to a couple of hand held shots
of the Moon, taken with an FZ5 and an FZ20.

,

--
Bri.

Old January 16th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
irwell wrote:

I wanted to take pics of the moon.
The auto settings didn't seem to work that well, so
decided to try the Manual settings, this was the first
time I have really used this option, very pleased with what
you can do, especially under low light conditions.

The moon is a tough subject as is most astronomical subjects. The
long zoom lens in addition does not lend itself to kindly to such
photography as well. Worse, long exposures times need a clock driven
tripod head to compensate for the earth's rotation. The closer one
is to the equator, the worse the problem. Never the less, I think
that acceptable images can be captured in an esthetic sense.

You can see my simple attempts with the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 he

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...35-01-crop.jpg

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...23-53-crop.jpg

The EXIF information should still be there. Spot metering, and perhaps a
touch of exposure compensation, IIRC. The moon, being in sunlight, should
not require excessively long exposure times.

David

Old January 16th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

In ,
David J Taylor typed...

You can see my simple attempts with the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 he

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...35-01-crop.jpg

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...23-53-crop.jpg

The EXIF information should still be there. Spot metering, and
perhaps a touch of exposure compensation, IIRC. The moon, being in
sunlight, should not require excessively long exposure times.

David

Thanks, David.
I jumped the gun by a few minutes.

--
Bri.

Old January 17th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Bri. wrote:
[]
Thanks, David.
I jumped the gun by a few minutes.

That's fine. I actually appreciated you not giving out the URLs directly.

David