Best CS Feature You've Never Heard About

Old December 11th 05, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Best CS Feature You've Never Heard About

I went to a Photoshop Seminar yesterday given by Katrin Eismann.
As is the norm for most of these things, she covered a wealth of
information and it all comes at you rather quickly. She covered her
specialties, Layers, Masking, Compositing, etc., as well as some of the
new features of Photoshop CS2 such as Camera RAW.
Most of the info was old news to me, but I always learn something new
at these seminars, which I highly recommend.
http://www.software-cinema.com/camps.php

One feature of both CS and CS2 that I'd never heard of is the ability
to save all of your Photoshop modifications into the History Log. This
is an option under Preferences/General.
Katrin suggests that you choose the "Metadata" and the "Detailed"
settings here. What this does is to save a record of any change you've
made to the file and embed the information into the metadata of the
file itself. Photoshop records every setting you used to alter the
image.
The info can be viewed later using the "File Info" command. Also, it
doesn't add too much to the file size of the image since it is just
embedding some additional text. Cool stuff.

Btw, if you want to purchase any of the training DVDs on the Software
Cinema website I have a coupon code that'll get you 15% off. Just
e-mail me.

Old December 13th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How does this differ from the list of actions performed in the History
pallette? Doesn't that record every change to the image?

Old December 13th 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

How does this differ from the list of actions performed in the History
pallette? Doesn't that record every change to the image?

Yes, but prior to CS that info was lost once you saved and closed the
file.
Also, the new method records exactly what settings you made in each
step.

For example, say I made a Hue/Saturation adjustment.
The history pallete would just say, "Hue/Saturation."
The metadata info, viewable by using "File/File Info" looks like this:
===================
Hue/Saturation
Hue/Saturation Without Colorize
Adjustment: hue/saturation adjustment list
hue/saturation adjustment
Hue: 2
Saturation: 19
Lightness: -5
====================

So now you can see the exact settings you used to get to the current
state.

Old December 13th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

I'm still on CS and I sometimes have to clear the history to free up
memory, especially I think with operations like a bunch of complex
erasing strokes, it seems to eat up memory in the history. It seems some
of these operations just save versions of the whole image.
Old December 13th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

The History Pallet is lost when the file is closed. The History Log is a
permanent record.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto