Dust visible at f/36

Old January 21st 05, 10:51 PM
paul

Default Dust visible at f/36

I just tried a shot at f/36 with the D70 & it looks like someone
splattered mud on my lens. Is that sensor dust? It is invisible at
reasonable f-stops. Here is a 100% crop:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-19-view/f-stop-test&PG=1&PIC=2
That's bad! This is just a tiny bit of the image & they are solid black.

Or is that gunk on the end of the lens in focus due to the greater depth
of field? I can see a big fleck of shiny something about 1/2-inch inside
the front, I tried dusting off the sensor gently & removing the filter
from the front & dusting that with canned air. The blobs remained in
position. I know my house is very dusty & I also shoot out in the woods,
etc.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:27 AM
Mac Tabak

**** man the quality sucks!!!!

Old January 22nd 05, 12:28 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"paul" wrote in message
I just tried a shot at f/36 with the D70 & it looks like someone
splattered mud on my lens. Is that sensor dust?
It is invisible at reasonable f-stops. Here is a 100% crop:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-19-view/f-stop-test&PG=1&PIC=2

It's sensor dust.

Bart

Old January 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
Musty

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...San-Francisco/
2005-01-19-view/f-stop-test&PG=1&PIC=2
That's bad! This is just a tiny bit of the image & they are solid black.

Or is that gunk on the end of the lens in focus due to the greater depth
of field? I can see a big fleck of shiny something about 1/2-inch inside
the front, I tried dusting off the sensor gently & removing the filter
from the front & dusting that with canned air. The blobs remained in
position. I know my house is very dusty & I also shoot out in the woods,
etc.

Use the rocket bulb blower. It worked for me on the 20D.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
paul

Rather horrible, isn't it?
Old January 22nd 05, 12:47 AM
paul

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"paul" wrote in message

I just tried a shot at f/36 with the D70 & it looks like someone
splattered mud on my lens. Is that sensor dust?
It is invisible at reasonable f-stops. Here is a 100% crop:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-19-view/f-stop-test&PG=1&PIC=2

It's sensor dust.

Yeah I guess so. I just tried a little shot of air with the mirror
lock-up this time (doh) & lost some of them but will have to get a
proper cleaning kit or technique.

Strange the way they are only visible at such a crazy f-stop. Just
hideous though!
Old January 22nd 05, 01:37 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"paul" wrote in message
Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"paul" wrote in message

I just tried a shot at f/36 with the D70 & it looks like someone
splattered mud on my lens. Is that sensor dust?
It is invisible at reasonable f-stops. Here is a 100% crop:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-19-view/f-stop-test&PG=1&PIC=2

It's sensor dust.

Yeah I guess so. I just tried a little shot of air with the mirror
lock-up this time (doh) & lost some of them but will have to get a
proper cleaning kit or technique.

Yes, the better ones a
http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush.htm (it really works, I can say
from experience), and
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning for the really stubborn
stuff.

Strange the way they are only visible at such a crazy f-stop. Just
hideous though!

At those narrow apertures, the cone of light that's focused on the
sensor's pixels is very narrow, which tends to produce sharp/harsh
shadows.

Bart

Old January 22nd 05, 02:12 AM
Steve Wolfe

**** man the quality sucks!!!!

Long distances combined with haze and smog will tend to do that.

steve

Old January 22nd 05, 04:14 AM
Avery

How did you lock the mirror up? I thought the D70 didn't have mirror
lockup?