Kodak verichrome How old could it be?

Old February 25th 04, 03:15 AM
Nick Zentena

Default Kodak verichrome How old could it be?

With the Kodak 1a I picked up the seller was kind enough to throw
in some spare spools and a roll of exposed Kodak verichrome. My
understanding is Kodak stopped making 116 early 1980s. I assume that sets
low end for this film. How old could it be?

Thanks
Nick
Old February 25th 04, 03:49 AM
Peter Irwin

Nick Zentena wrote:

With the Kodak 1a I picked up the seller was kind enough to throw
in some spare spools and a roll of exposed Kodak verichrome. My
understanding is Kodak stopped making 116 early 1980s. I assume that sets
low end for this film. How old could it be?

Thanks
Nick

The old Verichrome film was made from 1931-1956. The backing
paper might contain some clues to the date. Verichmome Pan
was produced staring in 1956.

Peter.

Old February 25th 04, 04:09 AM
Nick Zentena

Peter Irwin wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

With the Kodak 1a I picked up the seller was kind enough to throw
in some spare spools and a roll of exposed Kodak verichrome. My
understanding is Kodak stopped making 116 early 1980s. I assume that sets
low end for this film. How old could it be?

Thanks
Nick

The old Verichrome film was made from 1931-1956. The backing
paper might contain some clues to the date. Verichmome Pan
was produced staring in 1956.

Forgot to mention it's pan. Reddish paper with Kodak yellow writing. Have
too see if anything shows up when I develop it.

Thanks
NIck
Old February 25th 04, 05:35 AM
Peter Irwin

Nick Zentena wrote:
Peter Irwin wrote:

The old Verichrome film was made from 1931-1956. The backing
paper might contain some clues to the date. Verichmome Pan
was produced staring in 1956.

Forgot to mention it's pan. Reddish paper with Kodak yellow writing. Have
too see if anything shows up when I develop it.

There is a pretty good chance you will get usuable images.
There will probably be film speed and exposure information
on the start end of the backing paper. The ASA ratings were
changed around 1961, I think the post 1961 rating was 125 ASA.

Peter.

Old February 25th 04, 02:03 PM
Nick Zentena

Peter Irwin wrote:

There is a pretty good chance you will get usuable images.
There will probably be film speed and exposure information
on the start end of the backing paper. The ASA ratings were
changed around 1961, I think the post 1961 rating was 125 ASA.

The paper stated 80ASA. Didn't get anything but fog. Well I proved I need
to pratice more with that old reel and tank.

Thanks
Nick
Old March 9th 04, 09:59 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

--

The speed change was the result of the ASA adopting the
DIN method of speed measurement and as part of the change

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 9th 04, 10:06 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Peter Irwin wrote:

There is a pretty good chance you will get usuable

images.
There will probably be film speed and exposure

information
on the start end of the backing paper. The ASA ratings

were
changed around 1961, I think the post 1961 rating was

125 ASA.

The paper stated 80ASA. Didn't get anything but fog.

Well I proved I need
to pratice more with that old reel and tank.

Thanks
Nick

The ASA 80 speed makes it earlier than 1960. The survival
of the latent image depends on the storage conditions. The
desirable conditions are the same as for unexposed film:
cool and fairly dry. Also, the latent image seems to be
affected by exposure to air so the tighter the spool is
wound the better. Roll film seems to survive pretty well
because the spools generally protect the film well.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 10th 04, 01:15 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Verichrome was excellent orthochromatic film and
Verichrome-Pan excellent panchromatic film.

Verichrome was the Kodacolor of its day - most all snap
shots were B&W along with a majority of the commercial
work. If a drugstore had only one film, this was it.

If an ancient format was being supplied during it's
dying days, this was it. I remember a roll of 616
Verichrome Pan sitting on the corner drugstore's
shelf. It sat there a very long time, and at the
end I am sure it was tossed in the trash.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio