Sinar 4x5 - worth?

Old March 18th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Default Sinar 4x5 - worth?

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back and 9
negative holders be worth?

http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

Reported to be in "good condition".

Thanks,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old March 18th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pudentame

Alan Browne wrote:

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back and 9
negative holders be worth?

http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

Reported to be in "good condition".

Thanks,
Alan

Looks like a F1 w/lensboard ... can't see if the back is there, although
I would assume it is (and I'd verify that with the seller).

Camera $300 - $650
Lens $100 - $200
Polaroid Back $50 - $75
9 holders $100 - $150

Total: $550 - $1075

I'd say near the lower end of the range is more reasonable. I'm sure the
seller would prefer the upper end. ;-D
Old March 19th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Pudentame wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back and
9 negative holders be worth?

http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

Reported to be in "good condition".

Looks like a F1 w/lensboard ... can't see if the back is there, although
I would assume it is (and I'd verify that with the seller).

Camera $300 - $650
Lens $100 - $200
Polaroid Back $50 - $75
9 holders $100 - $150

Total: $550 - $1075

I'd say near the lower end of the range is more reasonable. I'm sure the
seller would prefer the upper end. ;-D

Thanks. He says it's "ready to work with", so I assume the back is there.

He's asking $750 CAD. So seems reasonable. I'll cogitate a bit on that.

I just have to find out who can develop 4x5 E-6 for me. If I have to go
all the way downtown or do it myself, I doubt that I'd go for it. Also
just bought a Nikon 9000 ED ... which these won't go into...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old March 19th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Alan Browne" wrote in
message .. .
Pudentame wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Beware that the lens may be a "normal" lens for 2-1/4 x
3-1/4 and not a wide angle for 4x5. If so, the lens _might_
illuminate the corners of a 4x5 but the quality will not be
good. Find out, if you can, which Rodenstock lens it is. If
its a standard lens its probably not worth the price above.
Also, find out which Polaroid back this is, if its the
original #500 its virtually worthless. If a #545 or 545i its
worth the price stated.
What kind of film holders? $10 each is OK for modern
holders in good condition.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 19th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
pico[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

He's asking $750 CAD. So seems reasonable. I'll cogitate a bit on that.

That's nutz, over the top. It looks grungy as hell, and the film holders
are wrecks.

Ya know, you can get an equally functional Sinar Alpina for under $200?

Old March 19th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back and 9
negative holders be worth?
http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

A lot depends on the lens. I don't know of any 105mm/f4.5
Rodenstocks. A normal 105 won't cover 4x5, a wide angle f4.5
~100mm lens is a ~$700-1,200 proposition.

I would get some clarification - is it a Geronar, Grandagon,
Sinaron, Sironar ...? Is it 105 or is it a 135 or 150.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old March 20th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pudentame

Alan Browne wrote:
Pudentame wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Well, I was quoting prices in US dollars, so if he's asking $750 CAD,
you probably oughta' jump on it, even if you do have to go all the way
downtown to get 4x5 E6 processed.

Old March 20th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bandicoot

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Alan Browne" wrote in message

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back
and 9 negative holders be worth?
http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

A lot depends on the lens. I don't know of any 105mm/f4.5
Rodenstocks. A normal 105 won't cover 4x5, a wide angle f4.5
~100mm lens is a ~$700-1,200 proposition.

I would get some clarification - is it a Geronar, Grandagon,
Sinaron, Sironar ...? Is it 105 or is it a 135 or 150.

Aren't the 105mm Ysaron and Ysarex both f4.5? Neither of these ought to be
worth "$100-$200" though. The Ysarex (corrected for infinity) usually goes
for a bit more than the Ysaron (corected for close work).

That's not what it looks like in the picture though. Sure it's not a typo.
for 150mm?

Peter

Old March 20th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

On Mar 19, 7:30 pm, "Bandicoot"
wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in .earthlink.net...

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

What would a Sinar 4x5 with Rodenstock 105mm f/4.5, polaroid back
and 9 negative holders be worth?
http://www.lespac.com/picturebig.php...4179&o=8704205

A lot depends on the lens. I don't know of any 105mm/f4.5
Rodenstocks. A normal 105 won't cover 4x5, a wide angle f4.5
~100mm lens is a ~$700-1,200 proposition.

I would get some clarification - is it a Geronar, Grandagon,
Sinaron, Sironar ...? Is it 105 or is it a 135 or 150.

Aren't the 105mm Ysaron and Ysarex both f4.5? Neither of these ought to be
worth "$100-$200" though. The Ysarex (corrected for infinity) usually goes
for a bit more than the Ysaron (corected for close work).

That's not what it looks like in the picture though. Sure it's not a typo.
for 150mm?

Peter

The picture is so low rez that its hard to tell what it is but I
agree that it looks larger than the 105mm Rodenstock lenses made for
2-1/4 x 3-1/4. They are Tessars and won't get near covering 4x5 or
even the smaller Polaroid frame.
Someone posted that the camera looks grungy and the holders awful,
how in the world can you tell from this photo?

--
Richard Knoppow

Old March 21st 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bandicoot

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 19, 7:30 pm, "Bandicoot"
wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in

.earthlink.net...

"Alan Browne" wrote in
message

[...]

I also have a Sironar-N 100mm f5.6 that's designed for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4" but
the picture doesn't look like that either. (Image circle is 147mm, so this
lens doesn't cover 4x5 either, but it does do 6x12 panoramic - very sharp
lens.) Still wondering what thre pictured lens actually is.

Peter