Calumet C1 view camera

Old February 28th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bogdan Karasek

Default Calumet C1 view camera

Hi,

I just wanted to know if there was a Calumet 8x10 field view camera
(same green colour and style/mechanisms as the 8x10 C1) but with only a
20 inch bellows draw? The C1 has a 34" bellows draw.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:
Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Old February 28th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I just wanted to know if there was a Calumet 8x10 field
view camera (same green colour and style/mechanisms as the
8x10 C1) but with only a 20 inch bellows draw? The C1 has
a 34" bellows draw.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Bogdan Karasek
Montréal, Québec e-mail:

Canada

AFAIK no. I have a number of Calumet catalogues of the
time, and in fact, a C-1. Does this camera have a standard
length bed? If it was made for short bellows it will
probably have a short bed. Otherwise it sounds like someone
has replaced the bellows with the wrong size. Its just
possible Calumet may still have original bellows in stock. I
had to replace the one on my camera but that was quite some
time ago.
BTW, the green C-1 is made with Magnesium parts, later
ones with Aluminum. I was told by a fellow at Calumet named
Art (I've forgotten the last name) who was cheif engineer at
the time the cameras were built that the material was
changed after a fire inspector nearly fainted at all the
Magnesium shavings scattered around the shop. Anyone who has
seen Magnesium burn will know why.
The weak point of the C-1 is the swivel for the front
swing. The original mounting used a single 8-32 screw which
is easily broken. A replacement was(is?) available with a
larger screw, No.10 I think. Its remains a weak point but
not quite as weak.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 2nd 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ken Hart

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
.. .

snip
BTW, the green C-1 is made with Magnesium parts, later ones with
Aluminum. I was told by a fellow at Calumet named Art (I've forgotten the
last name) who was cheif engineer at the time the cameras were built that
the material was changed after a fire inspector nearly fainted at all the
Magnesium shavings scattered around the shop. Anyone who has seen
Magnesium burn will know why.

Wouldn't that be close to thermite?

Old March 2nd 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Stefan Patric

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:44 -0500, Bogdan Karasek wrote:

I just wanted to know if there was a Calumet 8x10 field view camera
(same green colour and style/mechanisms as the 8x10 C1) but with only a
20 inch bellows draw? The C1 has a 34" bellows draw.

I have Calumet catalogs going back to the early '70s. Unfortunately, they
are in a storage box, which I don't have immediate access to, but as far
as I can remember, the 8x10 metal Calumet view only came with 34 inch
bellows. You could, of course, have a bellows maker make a short one and
install it on the camera. I'd recommend a 24 inch one instead of 20.
That way you can get life-size on film with a 12 inch or 300 mm lens, and
still be short enough to use with a wide angle without binding when using
movements.

Stef
Old March 2nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Pretty close, thermite adds an oxidizer and iron particles.
I saw a great little fire in my dad's shop when someone
used the bench grinder to trim up a piece of magnesium and
the sparks hit the iron particles down below!
darkroommike

Old March 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message
.. .

snip
BTW, the green C-1 is made with Magnesium parts,
later ones with Aluminum. I was told by a fellow at
Calumet named Art (I've forgotten the last name) who was
cheif engineer at the time the cameras were built that
the material was changed after a fire inspector nearly
fainted at all the Magnesium shavings scattered around
the shop. Anyone who has seen Magnesium burn will know
why.

Wouldn't that be close to thermite?

Solid Magnesium is not particulary dangerous. What upset
the fire inspector was the large amount of chips and dust.
Under the right circumstances finely devided Magnesium can
be set off by a high pressure water stream. I was told that
the Magnesium parts were changed to Aluminum and about the
same time the color was changed from Green to Black.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 3rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pudentame

Ken Hart wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
.. .
snip
BTW, the green C-1 is made with Magnesium parts, later ones with
Aluminum. I was told by a fellow at Calumet named Art (I've forgotten the
last name) who was cheif engineer at the time the cameras were built that
the material was changed after a fire inspector nearly fainted at all the
Magnesium shavings scattered around the shop. Anyone who has seen
Magnesium burn will know why.

Wouldn't that be close to thermite?

Thermite is an iron oxide mixed with aluminum powder. When ignited the
aluminum combines with the oxygen in the iron oxide creating a whole lot
of heat and leaving molten iron behind (along with an aluminum oxide slag).

It's used for bonding electrical grounds and splicing rebar in nuclear
power plants.
Old March 7th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Pudentame wrote:
Ken Hart wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
.. .
snip
BTW, the green C-1 is made with Magnesium parts, later ones with
Aluminum. I was told by a fellow at Calumet named Art (I've forgotten
the last name) who was cheif engineer at the time the cameras were
built that the material was changed after a fire inspector nearly
fainted at all the Magnesium shavings scattered around the shop.
Anyone who has seen Magnesium burn will know why.

Wouldn't that be close to thermite?

Thermite is an iron oxide mixed with aluminum powder. When ignited the
aluminum combines with the oxygen in the iron oxide creating a whole lot
of heat and leaving molten iron behind (along with an aluminum oxide slag).

It's used for bonding electrical grounds and splicing rebar in nuclear
power plants.

They also use something like that to bond railroad rail together to make
longer pieces.

^^-^^ 12:00:01 up 19 days, 24 min, 3 users, load average: 4.14, 4.11, 4.10
Old March 7th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

Thermite is an iron oxide mixed with aluminum powder.

They also use something like that to bond railroad rail
together to make longer pieces.

At MIT they also use it on rails; specifically for
bonding street car wheels to rails.

A magnesium ribbon is a convenient way to ignite thermite,
shavings from an early production Calumet C-1 will do in a
pinch.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation/index.htm

Old March 8th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

Thermite is an iron oxide mixed with aluminum powder.

They also use something like that to bond railroad rail
together to make longer pieces.

At MIT they also use it on rails; specifically for
bonding street car wheels to rails.

I think this was only done once. By a student named Freddy Fassett . He was
later made dean of students there.

A magnesium ribbon is a convenient way to ignite thermite,
shavings from an early production Calumet C-1 will do in a
pinch.

^^-^^ 21:30:01 up 19 days, 9:54, 3 users, load average: 4.25, 4.28, 4.20