focus speed

Old June 11th 04, 09:24 AM
;o\)-max-

Default focus speed

I had the opputunity to test the EF 400/2,8 the other day
and it is impressive, but too big and heavy for me. So I'm
thinking the 500/4,0 is the better choice, but how do their
AF speed compare. The 400/2,8 was perfect, even with
a 1,4 extender, is the 500/4,0 as fast and what happens
when an extender is attached. If someone has tried both
lenses I would be very greatfull for your experience on
this point. ;o)-max-

Old June 11th 04, 05:06 PM
Bill Hilton

From: ";o\)-max-"

I had the opputunity to test the EF 400/2,8 the other day
and it is impressive, but too big and heavy for me. So I'm
thinking the 500/4,0 is the better choice, but how do their
AF speed compare.

The extra stop will help the 400 f/2.8 focus a bit faster than the 500 f/4, no
doubt about that.

The 400/2,8 was perfect, even with
a 1,4 extender, is the 500/4,0 as fast

An f/4 lens will AF faster than a f/2.8 lens with a 1.4x on it, no doubt about
that either. So if you were happy with the 400 with a 1.4x then you'll be
happy with the 500 f/4 w/o one.

... and what happens when an extender is attached (to the 500 f/4).

With the right gimbal head like the Wimberley you can AF with the 500 f/4 and a
1.4x on birds in flight, so long as they are bigger relatively slow moving
birds like herons, cranes and egrets. Works best with a clear uncluttered sky
behind the birds, a cluttered background will often cause the AF to 'hunt'
though. The type of body you have is important too, the EOS-3 (which is my
main film camera) will AF faster than the Elan or Rebel bodies for example, and
we have both the 10D and 1Ds digital bodies and the 1Ds is quicker and more
accurate at AF than the 10D. I'm trying to get the 1D Mark II, which is even
better.

I've tried shooting birds in flight with the 2x (1,000 mm, f/8) but with rare
success.

If someone has tried both lenses I would be very greatfull for your
experience on this point.

I haven't shot with the 400 f/2.8 but I've compared AF speed on f/2.8 lenses
like the 70-200 with a 1.4x to f/4 lenses like the 300 f/4 L, and f/4's like
the 300 with a 1.4x to a 400 f/5.6 L and there's no doubt that adding a t/c
makes the lens slower than shooting at the same min aperture without a t/c (ie,
a 300 f/4 w/ 1.4x = 420 f/5.6 is slower than the 400 f/5.6, etc).

Roger Clark has several images of birds-in-flight shot with his 500 f/4 L and a
digital body, check
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...e-1/index.html

The 500 f/4 L IS is a great lens, I doubt you'll be sorry you got it

Bill

Old June 11th 04, 09:12 PM
;o\)-max-

"Bill Hilton"
From: ";o)-max-

[...]

The mark II is the reason I want the 500/4, I tested the 400/2,8 on mark II,
I was impressed, very solid performance, but too heavy to carry around a
full day, and impossible to hand hold, which I like to do quite often.

I've tried shooting birds in flight with the 2x (1,000 mm, f/8) but with rare
success.

If someone has tried both lenses I would be very greatfull for your
experience on this point.

I haven't shot with the 400 f/2.8 but I've compared AF speed on f/2.8 lenses
like the 70-200 with a 1.4x to f/4 lenses like the 300 f/4 L, and f/4's like
the 300 with a 1.4x to a 400 f/5.6 L and there's no doubt that adding a t/c
makes the lens slower than shooting at the same min aperture without a t/c (ie,
a 300 f/4 w/ 1.4x = 420 f/5.6 is slower than the 400 f/5.6, etc).

Sounds like it depends more on the max. apature than the specific lens and
focal lenth. I think Canon wrote that the 500/4 can autofocus with the 2x
extender on some cameras, when using the center spot, do you know if
this is the case on the markII.

Roger Clark has several images of birds-in-flight shot with his 500 f/4 L and a
digital body, check
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...e-1/index.html

The 500 f/4 L IS is a great lens, I doubt you'll be sorry you got it

Bill

If it performs anything like the 400mm with extender, I'll be more
than happy, thank you very much for your generous help.. ;o)-max-

Old June 12th 04, 05:18 AM
Roger Clark (Change username to rnclark)

Bill Hilton wrote:

Yes, the 1D, 1Ds and 1D Mark II digital bodies will all AF at f/8 min aperture
as they are built off the 1V body (the 1V and the EOS-3 film cameras have this
feature).

The dRebel and 10D (built off an Elan body) lose AF with the Canon t/c's beyond
f/5.6 (the off brand t/c's will let you try to AF and may or may not do it,
depending on the contrast and light).

Bill,
My Kenko pro 300 2x TC tells the 10D camera enough info that
the camera turns off AF at f/8.

Roger