[SI] More Sounds Posted

Old September 27th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sid

Default [SI] More Sounds Posted

Peter wrote:

I'm not crazy about the sky treatment in the second two. Dramatic,
but the people are what these photographs are about and the sky
competes with the primary subject. That sky treatment works best with
a landscape where the scenery is the subject.

To me the sky adds a little drama to the lone biker. Though I would have
liked to see the biker comming into the scene.

I can hear the girl giving a phoney scream as she is about to get dunked.
However the entire image on the right of the action is wasted.

Thanks for the useful comment, every little helps

cheers

--
sid
RLU 300284
Old September 27th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ROFLMAO![_7_]

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:39:27 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Why is any knowledge of photography required to participate, or
contribute to the photo groups?

ROFLMAO!

What a wonderful question for you to ask. It PERFECTLY explains, AND
reveals, the depth of your involvement in "photography". Also perfectly
reflected in every last one of your useless CRAPSHOTS.

ROFLMAO!

The blind wanting to lead the blind has never been truer.

ROFLMAO!

Old September 27th 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sid

tony cooper wrote:

And in the third
picture I think the dramatic sky is essential to the composition. Note how
the purple in the clouds is picked up by the similar coloring of the water
on the beach.

It's a matter of personal choice...I don't like secondary elements
competing with the main element of the photograph unless the secondary
element adds something needed. In the beach photo, all you need is
sea, sand, and people to get across the sound in the mandate. That
sky has a drop-in look to it to me. Drop-in as the real sky was flat
blue and Sid dropped that out and used the sky from some other
picture. Not that I'm saying he did, but it has that look.

real sky as it happens, I've never done the drop in thing, it always seems
like far too much effort.

--
sid
RLU 300284
Old September 27th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-09-27 20:37:40 +0100, Bruce said:

Pete wrote:

Any thoughts on the question I raised in my post?

Yes, I apologise for not replying to your specific question. DoF is a
perfectly good abbreviation for "depth of field".

Thanks. No need to apologise, you've helped me learn something: when I
was writing my post my first thought was to just ask my question, but
instead I digressed.

Anyone who wants to discuss "depth of focus" should spell it out in
full to avoid ambiguity.

That is what I thought.

But that is a discussion which is not likely
to happen very often on a newsgroup such as this.

If anyone would like a discussion about DoF vs. depth-of-focus I'm more
than willing to pass on my thoughts and provide some references (not in
this thread, of course).

--
Pete

Old September 27th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sid

NameHere wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:06:36 -0400, Bowser wrote:

Sid sent a few, so please take a look at the three new entries:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

First off, that's no "babbling brook". It's stagnant puddles of water
where water flows once in a while and hasn't for quite some time.

Yeah, whatever

Without motion-blur the biker could be standing there with the motor
turned off, propped up with his leg hidden behind the bike. No indication
of any sounds being made.

Yeah, whatever

The face of the girl is hidden. There's no evidence of anyone making any
noises in that image. There's not even enough wave action to suggest that
even that is making any noise.

Yeah, whatever

All three crapshots fail the mandate.

Trouble is, your going to need a smidgen of imagination to discern any sound
from a purely visual medium, clearly this is something you struggle with.

Not to mention the ****ty
snapshooter's poor composition in all of them.

But I'm more than willing to learn the error of my ways, unfortunately you
don't have anything useful to say so I'm never going to end up as superbly
talented as you obviously are.

All others' assessments of
these images also fail for their suggesting there's anything redeeming in
any of them. Is that any surprise when their own submissions are just as
****ty? How would they know what constitutes useful photography when they
can't even create their own.

Of course the award winning photos that you continually post are proof
positive that you are over qualified to be passing comment, aren't they?

--
sid
RLU 300284
Old September 27th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-26 15:06:36 -0700, Bowser said:

Sid sent a few, so please take a look at the three new entries:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

All three of Sid's shots fit the mandate very well.

I particularly like "babling-brook"(sic), the trickiling, babbling
sounds are quite evocative under the tree filtered Summer light. Nice.

"Racing" is a dramatic shot, with the photographer (Sid) barely out of
harms way. The source of the Summer sound is quite obvious. Maybe a
little less of the threatening clouds, it is supposed to be Summer
after all.

"Screaming-girls", my first question is, "girls?" I only see one. That
said, all the elements are there Summer, & sound. There is something
which just doesn't work for me as a shot. I think a crop of much of the
right side, putting the protagonists on the right, moving to the left,
rather than center, would make for a better shot.
My idea of a possible rough crop;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/scream-crop.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 27th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:21:13 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-09-26 15:06:36 -0700, Bowser said:

Sid sent a few, so please take a look at the three new entries:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

All three of Sid's shots fit the mandate very well.

I particularly like "babling-brook"(sic), the trickiling, babbling
sounds are quite evocative under the tree filtered Summer light. Nice.

I had to laugh at this. Ever heard of "Skitt's Law"? It reads: Any
post that corrects an error in another post will contain at least one
error itself.

"Trickiling"

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 27th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 9/27/2010 4:21 PM, Savageduck wrote:

"Screaming-girls", my first question is, "girls?" I only see one. That
said, all the elements are there Summer, & sound. There is something
which just doesn't work for me as a shot. I think a crop of much of the
right side, putting the protagonists on the right, moving to the left,
rather than center, would make for a better shot.
My idea of a possible rough crop;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/scream-crop.jpg

That scene brought back memories of me being a participant in similar
antics. Perhaps the memory made the scene for me;-)

Of course, nobody had a camera when we would throw cold ocean water on
girls, lying on their stomachs with their straps open.

--
Peter
Old September 27th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:55:44 -0500, ROFLMAO!
wrote:

These "astute" observations about composition being brought to you by the
very same delusional psychotic who thinks he read some usenet-post about a
rare moth image being posted on the internet but neither of which, post nor
photo, ever existed.

Now that's someone's opinion that's worth trusting and knowing!

ROFLMAO!

Tell you what, sunshine. You take a photograph (borrow a camera if
you have to) and post a link to it here. I'll provide some astute
observations in my critique.

Don't be concerned that it has to be a good composition or with the
subject in focus. I've seen your work with the rare moth and don't
expect much from you.

Try to make the subject at least recognizable for what it is. I need
to know if it's a never-before been seen or cataloged moth, a
discarded and crumpled mohair sweater left out in the rain, or a pad
of steel wool on a cluttered workbench top. You might accompany the
photo with a few hints about the content in case I can't make them
out. If there's a tree in the scene, tell me so I'll know.

None of this photographing the neighbor's cat and calling it a Florida
panther. Spare me the story of trekking across the frozen tundra in
your bare feet and living on dried crocus bulbs. Just open your
basement window and shoot something. Don't bother telling me that the
photo has already been degraded because I will be able to tell that
from the part of your finger over the lens in the image.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 27th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-26 15:06:36 -0700, Bowser said:

Sid sent a few, so please take a look at the three new entries:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

All three of Sid's shots fit the mandate very well.

I particularly like "babling-brook"(sic), the trickiling, babbling
sounds are quite evocative under the tree filtered Summer light. Nice.

I had to laugh at this. Ever heard of "Skitt's Law"? It reads: Any
post that corrects an error in another post will contain at least one
error itself.

"Trickiling"

It seems I complied. ;-)

Savageduck