Film reels jamming (Developer tank)

Old April 16th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Christopher Loffredo

Default Film reels jamming (Developer tank)

Christopher Loffredo wrote:
Hi,

When I try to reel film onto my developing tank reels (Jobo and
Patterson, both 35mm and 120), the film jams and, even tapping or
knocking the reel, I often can't get the whole film loaded.

And, yes, the reels are perfectly dry.

Any other suggestions or tricks?

Thanks!

Follow-up:

I finally got around to developing another batch of film, having
previously thoroughly scrubbed the reels with my electric toothbrush
(with and old brush, of course :-) ).

Anyway, despite a large dinner accompanied by a notable ammount of wine,
the loading was more than successful: I couldn't believe I was using the
same reels; they loaded smoothly and practically without any resistance
at all. I suppose keeping the reels perfectly clean really is important...

Thanks for all the answers!
Old April 17th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article ,
[...]

More than likely it was all that wine in your system, better check again
tomorrow you may just think you loaded and processed the film

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 17th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Christopher Loffredo wrote:
Anyway, despite a large dinner accompanied by a notable ammount of wine,
the loading was more than successful: I couldn't believe I was using the
same reels; they loaded smoothly and practically without any resistance
at all. I suppose keeping the reels perfectly clean really is important...

Around 1980 or so, Paterson made a batch of reels that had a teflon coating.
At one time I owned some. They were slightly off pink. Film would slide
on them easily even if damp.

Unfortunately, I had to sell off all of my darkroom stuff in 1996 when
I moved here and they went with it. Now that I'm developing film again
(or at least trying to), and my fingers are that much less dexterous,
I wish I still had them.

Geoff.

Old April 17th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Christopher Loffredo

____ wrote:
In article ,
[...]

I did double-check the floor a few times after loading...

:-)
Old April 17th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Christopher Loffredo

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Christopher Loffredo wrote:
Anyway, despite a large dinner accompanied by a notable ammount of wine,
the loading was more than successful: I couldn't believe I was using the
same reels; they loaded smoothly and practically without any resistance
at all. I suppose keeping the reels perfectly clean really is important...

Around 1980 or so, Paterson made a batch of reels that had a teflon coating.
At one time I owned some. They were slightly off pink. Film would slide
on them easily even if damp.

Unfortunately, I had to sell off all of my darkroom stuff in 1996 when
I moved here and they went with it. Now that I'm developing film again
(or at least trying to), and my fingers are that much less dexterous,
I wish I still had them.

If the cleaning hadn't worked, as a last-ditch attempt I was going to
treat the reels with with a water-repellant spray I use on my Gore-Tex
jackets (developing a test roll first to make sure the substance doesn't
find its way on to the negatives).

Could work, as the treated surfaces (jacket) feel nice and slippery and
the treatment does last a while & isn't easily washed away.
Old April 17th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_13_]

"Christopher Loffredo" wrote in message

Anyway, despite a large dinner accompanied by a notable ammount of wine,
the loading was more than successful.

The wine! We forgot to tell you that part! Always wine before loading!

A word of warning to my fellow Irishmen - Old Rodinal can look like Guinness
so be careful.

Old April 17th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_13_]

Thanks for all the answers!

More than likely it was all that wine in your system, better check again
tomorrow you may just think you loaded and processed the film

I did double-check the floor a few times after loading...

'tis a good idea to look about ye after a several pints. Might be quarters
right before ye. And _then_ pick yerself off the floor.