Wish I hadn't gone back to reshoot!

Old June 13th 04, 03:30 AM
Bill Mcdonald

Default Wish I hadn't gone back to reshoot!

Sometimes it seems true that you can't go home again:-(

In New Mexico along I 40 at the Continental Divide , there is a real
old Navaho hogan which I photographed from the road last September.
I had stopped to buy some Indian jewelry at one of the tourist trading
posts and noticed the hogan. I took a few shots with my E10 ,since I'd
driven all night from California I wasn't thinking clearly and forgot
to check the aperture and later discovered the slightly blurred
foreground.Actually I shot on program mode and focused on the hogan.

This bothered me for months and I decided to reshoot it on my drive
from Joshua Tree to Alabama 2 weeks ago. When I got there I almost
felt like crying- toilet paper all over the tree to the left of the
hogan, cloudless bright sky, the vegetation of course was brown now,
and I discovered that there was a backyard which I hadn't noticed
before. This time I shot with my Nikon EM and the photos were the
worst ever!

I learned my lesson finally. From now on before I take the shot I'll
think more about visualising the final print and how I can make it
happen and not be in such a hurry and rushing through with the
camera's program mode!

Sorry for the rant but they say confession is good for the soul!

Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree
Old June 13th 04, 06:38 AM
JIM

"Bill Mcdonald" wrote in message
.....cut.... later discovered the slightly blurred
foreground.....cut....

Hey Bill, tell me you have photoshop......................thing in there
called layers................replace your blurry stuff with some part of
another photo. Nothing like cheatin' a little with this digital dew
stuff...................I have a couple neat pics nobody knows how I
got'em After all, who but you were there?

Shoot'em up, real or imagined, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
you for it!!

Jim

Old June 13th 04, 11:58 AM
adam bootle

Had the same problem myself last week ! Only slightly strange as well.

On Sun 6th, I was riding along a lane in the morning and saw some lovely
poppies by the side of the road at the edge of a field, so I stopped, got
off my bike and proceeded to take a few shots, F4.5 to throw out the
background and low angle looking down the edge of the field. A nice
tribute I thought to our lost boys, seeing as it was the 60th Anniversary of
D-Day.

Got home and downloaded images to PC, not bad but I thought I could do
better, so I decided I would go out againwhen I finished work the next day.
Got back there the next day, and poppies were nowhere to be seen ? Looked
around thinking I had gone back to the wrong place or somebody had picked
them. Looked around a bit more and saw that every petal had fallen from the
flowers, there wasn't one left on them !

Don't know why this happened, but strange considering that when I took
the pics, 60 years to the day many men were just landing on the beaches, and
the day that after many had fallen.

Adam

Old June 13th 04, 03:44 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Bill Mcdonald wrote in
:

[...]

Unfortunately, it's the lessons we learn the hard way that stay with
us the best. Had my share of those.

But at the same time, I've returned to locations and discovered more,
or realized what kind of opportunities it had. Maybe not necessarily the
missed shot I envisioned, but something else of merit, sometimes almost as
good, sometimes even better. Maybe you can't go home again, but sometimes
you can go to the same place and find a new one.

When I travel now, I rarely have a specific photo destination in
mind, but instead "play it by ear". Something along the way might inspire
me, or the weather might redirect me. But this way, I'm usually not
disappointed because I'm on a voyage of discovery, as it were, and not
chasing that one crucial shot.

Last weekend, I had a goal in mind, and went out looking for it.
Never found it, but shot over a hundred frames anyway, items of
opportunity. I'm still after that goal, but I think I'm way ahead ;-)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 13th 04, 08:09 PM
ian green

"Bill Mcdonald" :

Sometimes it seems true that you can't go home again:-(

true 200%%
imho you should shoot anything you want to picture right then & there anyway
that vision of some things/moments is unique almost every time
just a day before/after or a few steps forth/back and all the magic is gone
i find that stopping/taking-some-time/looking-quitly-around is one of the
main things in my photography that (frankly saying) i can't achieve all the
time - also laziness keeps whispering inside that i can always return then
conditions can be better or after some rest or blah blah endless

about 5 weeks ago i was walking in early morning back to the hut from
heath-cock's display ground
knee deep in snow across swamp & cold after a copule of hours sitting still
in shelter
hot tea & breakfast & rest was waiting ahead
i had boots filled with water & sack filled with game & loaded camera & even
tripod
suddenly i saw that rising sun began to filter through low clouds
the colors were the ones i never experience
old dry grass was dark orange & pines like blue-green watercolor & at least
clouds in 4 different greys
i stopped & looked
my fellows asked me what's the matter with me
at that moment i thought "the tripod is sure cold & i should take off my
rucksack to get the camera & .... tiny treacherous voice inside"
so not more then two hours after i came back & found nothing
and the next morning i was fishing drowned snowmobile
and the ....
may be next year

Sorry for the rant but they say confession is good for the soul!

hopelessly hope so

Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree

luck

--

ian green

Xeto : photo & graphic project : http://xeto.front.ru
photo galleries @ BlurryImage : http://www.blurryimage.com/user/ian%20green
selected photography : http://ian_green.photosight.ru/
..
EOF

Old June 14th 04, 01:02 PM
Sander Vesik

ian green wrote:
"Bill Mcdonald" :

Sometimes it seems true that you can't go home again:-(

true 200%%
imho you should shoot anything you want to picture right then & there anyway
that vision of some things/moments is unique almost every time

Amen brother. This also leads to the golden rule - always carry at least an
extra roll more of film that you think you would need [digital people,
change this to an extra memory card].

--

ian green

Xeto : photo & graphic project : http://xeto.front.ru
photo galleries @ BlurryImage : http://www.blurryimage.com/user/ian%20green
selected photography : http://ian_green.photosight.ru/
.
EOF

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old June 14th 04, 11:15 PM
ian green

"Sander Vesik" :

Sometimes it seems true that you can't go home again:-(

true 200%%
imho you should shoot anything you want to picture right then & there

anyway
that vision of some things/moments is unique almost every time

Amen brother. This also leads to the golden rule - always carry at least

an
extra roll more of film that you think you would need [digital people,
change this to an extra memory card].

back in winter there was one endless thread in rec.photo.equipment.35mm
listing all the things you should take with you then going out shooting -
"other photo tools" if i remember it right & Alan Browne was hosting it
somewhere