Stop frame

Old December 7th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott

Default Stop frame

Hi all,

Last time I accessed this forum I got some useful advice which was
taken
and which worked. So I'll try again ...

I wish to take stop frame pictures of a large space in which a stage is
being
set up. I'm going to create a video montage of stage assembly shots
taken
over a day or so. I want to mount it somewhere high and let it take
still shots
every few minutes. I'm just doing this for a dramatic society play in
which they've
decided to splash out on set design (whoo-ee!). I, however, cannot
splash out
on a camera just for this job, but I'm looking for a nice new digicam
to buy for
myself.

Is there a pro-sumer or low-end DSLR that will incidentally handle wide
angle
and stop frame requirements for a task such as this?

Scott

Old December 7th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ink

"Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Last time I accessed this forum I got some useful advice which was
taken
and which worked. So I'll try again ...

SNIP
Is there a pro-sumer or low-end DSLR that will incidentally handle wide
angle
and stop frame requirements for a task such as this?

Scott

Scott,

I assume you talk about interval shooting. I'm a Nikon user, and the D200
will do that nicely. As for wide-angle, the downside there is the 1.5x focus
multiplier which makes finding lots of nice wide-angle lenses slightly more
difficult than for a full-frame camera (such as the Canon 5D, which - though
I don't know for sure - probably also does interval photography).

HTH,
ink

Old December 7th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Derek Fountain

Is there a pro-sumer or low-end DSLR that will incidentally handle wide
angle
and stop frame requirements for a task such as this?

Unattended interval shooting isn't too common, especially on low-end
DSLRs, but you can get timer devices for most DSLR cameras. If you
haggle one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-TC-80N...&s=electronics

into a 400D camera purchase you'll be all set.

As for wide angle, the kit lens should do the job. It doesn't sound like
you need extreme wide angle. If you do there are options, but they'll
increase the cost quite a bit.

--
a href="http://www.derekfountain.org/"Derek Fountain/a on the web at
http://www.derekfountain.org/
Old December 11th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Scott wrote:

[...]

Hello, Scott:

My Kodak P850 "super zoom" (12x optical) is what you've called a
"pro-sumer" digicam, above. Among its many features is a time-lapse
function; its user's guide describes it, thusly:

"Camera takes specified number of pictures (2-99) at specified
intervals (10 seconds-24 hours; 60 seconds-24 hours in TIFF
& RAW."

The P850 is only 36mm (35mm equivalent) at the wide end. There's
a 0.7x wide-angle lens attachment available for it, though, which
Kodak claims "increases your angle of view a full 30 percent."

I don't know whether that's enough for your purposes, but good
luck, anyhow!

Cordially,
John Turco
Old December 12th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jpc

On 11 Dec 2006 00:58:41 EST, John Turco wrote:

Scott wrote:

[...]

The olympus sp350 has a similar timelag feature and is currently
available for about $200-$225 on the net. For another $100 you can
buy an a/c converter.and a wide angle converter that will bring the
wide angle focus. down to about 24 mm equivelent.

And when you are done with your project you'll have a 8mp pocket
camera with a full feature set and an excellent lens.

jpc

jpc