A ray of hope?

Old October 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Art Reitsch

Default A ray of hope?

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?
Art R.

Old October 24th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Tom Phillips

Art Reitsch wrote:

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?
Art R.

As soon as the power goes out digital will die
a sudden ignominious death...
Old October 24th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Tom Phillips spake thus:

Art Reitsch wrote:

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?

As soon as the power goes out digital will die
a sudden ignominious death...

Right-o. And that thing called ... what is it? oh, yeah, "the Internet";
that's just a fad too.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old October 25th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Tom Phillips spake thus:

Art Reitsch wrote:

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?

As soon as the power goes out digital will die
a sudden ignominious death...

Right-o. And that thing called ... what is it? oh, yeah, "the Internet";
that's just a fad too.

Yeah, and we'll never run out of fossil fuels.

If ya think human technology will last in the
vast scheme of the universe yer outta touch with
reality and watch way to many sci fi movies....
Old October 25th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Tom Phillips spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Tom Phillips spake thus:

Art Reitsch wrote:

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?

As soon as the power goes out digital will die
a sudden ignominious death...

Right-o. And that thing called ... what is it? oh, yeah, "the Internet";
that's just a fad too.

Yeah, and we'll never run out of fossil fuels.

If ya think human technology will last in the
vast scheme of the universe yer outta touch with
reality and watch way to many sci fi movies....

Well, I certainly don't think the human race itself will last "in the
vast scheme of the universe". I always took that as a given (I assume
you do as well).

Old October 26th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Tom Phillips spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Tom Phillips spake thus:

Art Reitsch wrote:

The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all
their digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August
entitled "Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?

As soon as the power goes out digital will die
a sudden ignominious death...

Right-o. And that thing called ... what is it? oh, yeah, "the Internet";
that's just a fad too.

Yeah, and we'll never run out of fossil fuels.

If ya think human technology will last in the
vast scheme of the universe yer outta touch with
reality and watch way to many sci fi movies....

Well, I certainly don't think the human race itself will last "in the
vast scheme of the universe". I always took that as a given (I assume
you do as well).

Now that's a metaphysical question, if not religious.
My point was, however, that technological processes
and methods come and go. So even given the human race
endures, when we've used up planet earth (soon, it
would appear) and we survive the resulting environmental
disaster it's a probable senario we will either not be
able to sustain our current ubiquitous technological
society or our technology will alter to conform with
new realities and limited resources.

Photochemical imaging, however, is a scientific phenomenon
that can still produce photographs in the absence of a lot
technology (including mordern engineered films.) A silver
sensitized substrate, a camera obscura with a pinhole, and
a few basic chemicals and you still have photography.

Anyway I think anyone who takes the above mentioned Intro to
Film Photography will be hooked, of course, and be passing it
along to the next generation.
Old November 14th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Art Reitsch" wrote in message
The Coupeville Arts Center near where I live offers many arts workshops
each year (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). Amongst all their
digital photo workshops is one they're offering next August entitled
"Introduction to Film Photography". What next? Large format?
Art R.

I really don't want to get embroiled in a digital vs film debate - but I'll
use the audio analogy again, although it isn't a very good analogy. When
CDs came out, the record stores couldn't wait to get rid of all of their
vinyl. Much of this vinyl got relegated to discount stores, located off the
beaten track. As for turntables, most manufacturers discontinued them for a
while - except for Technics line of professional DJ turntables which
continued production throughout - does this sound familiar? Then about five
or so years later some of the manufacturers started making turntables again
and now they've got a healthy niche market. That's where film's ultimately
going to go but it's going to take time to see where everything's going to
settle. What's going to cause some real panic - but shouldn't scare
anyone - is when all of the minilabs start shutting down. I remember when
there weren't any minilabs and all film had to be sent out. When this
happens - it'll be a blessing in disguise because it'll improve processing
greatly. Just look at Dwayne's - the only Kodachrome processor in the
Western hemisphere and plenty of happy customers raving about how they don't
scratch the film like Qualex used to. I would say sit tight and don't
panic. That's what I've been doing for the last ten years and I haven't
regretted it once.
Steve

Old November 14th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Scott Schuckert

...What's going to cause some real panic - but shouldn't scare
anyone - is when all of the minilabs start shutting down....

Already happening, here in the northeast. The local K-Mart has dropped
it's mini-lab, and in fact no longer has any visible venue for
photofinishing at all. If you want film developed, you have to ask for
envelopes at customer service.

BTW, I like your turntable analogy, and hope the film market does
rebound after the digital frenzy dies down. I always like to remember
that the world is an analog place; digital is a human convenience.
Digital processing gives us something surprisingly good, and can be
fast and cheap - but a really good analog system will always win at
ultimate quality.
Old November 14th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message

...What's going to cause some real panic - but shouldn't scare
anyone - is when all of the minilabs start shutting down....

Already happening, here in the northeast. The local K-Mart has dropped
it's mini-lab, and in fact no longer has any visible venue for
photofinishing at all. If you want film developed, you have to ask for
envelopes at customer service.

BTW, I like your turntable analogy, and hope the film market does
rebound after the digital frenzy dies down. I always like to remember
that the world is an analog place; digital is a human convenience.
Digital processing gives us something surprisingly good, and can be
fast and cheap - but a really good analog system will always win at
ultimate quality.

I've already encountered several digital users that want to return to film.
Unfortunately those $200 auto-everything SLR packages appear to be drying
up. Most folks I know that try digital already have a top quality film SLR
at home that needs minimal service - maybe in the $150 range. I try my best
to convince them to try out that old camera in the closet (after a CLA of
course). One such acquaintance has resumed using his Olympus SLR and is
very pleased with the results. I think many of the manufacturers have
shrewdly dropped their film bodies, realizing that many users won't like
digital and will want to take one step backward to go two steps forward.
With the film bodies off the market - that retrogression will be stymied.
Steve

Old November 15th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Greg \_\

I've already encountered several digital users that want to return to film.
Unfortunately those $200 auto-everything SLR packages appear to be drying
up. Most folks I know that try digital already have a top quality film SLR
at home that needs minimal service - maybe in the $150 range. I try my best
to convince them to try out that old camera in the closet (after a CLA of
course). One such acquaintance has resumed using his Olympus SLR and is
very pleased with the results. I think many of the manufacturers have
shrewdly dropped their film bodies, realizing that many users won't like
digital and will want to take one step backward to go two steps forward.
With the film bodies off the market - that retrogression will be stymied.
Steve

Two years ago I bought an F100...beautiful camera. I use it far less
than any other of my six.

Though I use digitals by far the most close behind is the 6x6, then 4x5
then 8x10.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com