Mamiya C330

Old May 30th 04, 10:54 PM
Mike Jenkins

Default Mamiya C330

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a mamiya C330. Any advice on what to look
for? And watch out for?

I will be using the 330 for landscape shots. Is this a good choice?

Any other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks, Mike.

Old May 30th 04, 11:21 PM
Vincent Becker

Hello,

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a mamiya C330. Any advice on what to look
for? And watch out for?

Try to find a C330f or -s as they are the most recent. Try also to find
"black" lenses and not "chrome" ones (only the shutter is actually chrome)
as they are more recent, are better coated and are still serviceable.

I will be using the 330 for landscape shots. Is this a good choice?

Yes, it is a very good camera. But if you intend to do landscape only maybe
you could also consider the C220. It lacks the parallax indicator but this
is not a problem with landscape. On the other hand, it is significantly
lighter and hence much easier to carry around if you're on foot. Believe me,
I have both and wouldn't walk for hours with a C330!

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

For landscape, you need the sharpest lenses for your camera, as opposed to
portrait where a little softness is welcome. The sharpest C lenses are the
55mm (VERY sharp), the 105mm DS and the 180mm Super. The 80 and 135 are not
as sharp. I've yet to test the 65mm but I've read it isn't as sharp either.

You can find a description and useful links on my website for the C220 and C330:

http://www.lumieresenboite.com/colle...&c=Mamiya_C220
http://www.lumieresenboite.com/colle...&c=Mamiya_C330

And a ton of very good information on Graham Patterson's site:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html

Vincent Becker
Photographie et appareils anciens - Photography and classic cameras
URL:http://www.lumieresenboite.com
Merci de passer par mon site pour les réponses par courriel
Old June 1st 04, 12:49 AM
karl.kathy

Another lens that is very sharp is the 80mm f/3.7 in a Copal shutter. I had
always heard that this was a cheap lens. But when I finally found one I was
very surprised at how sharp it is. I compared it to 2 of the normal 80mm
f/2.8 lenses on a collimator and the f/3.7 was sharper at all f/stops. What
I find to be the most ineresting thing about the lens is that it uses a
Copal shutter as opposed to all of the other Mamiya TLR lenses using a
Seikosha shutter. If had seen the f/3.7 lens sell on Ebay for as low as
$32. So yes, it is a bargain lens but it is also a sleeper in terms of
performance.

regards,
karl

Hello,