Machinist in the house?

Old February 17th 04, 12:37 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Default Machinist in the house?

JJ, I haven't been following this thread closely, but if you need strength
and toughness with light weight, you might look at a carbon
fiber/kevlar/S-glass composite sandwich... Go to the Experimental Aircraft
Association (w3.eaa.org) website and peruse their book store for books on
composites... We custom aircraft builders tend to be at the leading edge of
technology... You can buy prepreg materials and do your own vacuum bag
curing over a handmade wood form, and get shapes that are difficult and
expensive to produce in stainless...
If my comments have been covered or are off base, ignore me as usual...
denny
"jjs" wrote in message
n a stainless steel. Wood is not
strong enough for the design I am trying to show.

Old February 17th 04, 02:10 PM
jjs

In article , "Dennis O'Connor"
wrote:

JJ, I haven't been following this thread closely, but if you need strength
and toughness with light weight, you might look at a carbon
fiber/kevlar/S-glass composite sandwich... Go to the Experimental Aircraft
Association (w3.eaa.org) website and peruse their book store for books on
composites... We custom aircraft builders tend to be at the leading edge of
technology...

Hi, Dennis. I addressed composties, CF included earlier. FWIW, I live in a
composites research and applications area. Contact me offline if you like.
Old February 17th 04, 02:28 PM
jjs

In article , "Sherman"
wrote:

This stuff is very cool! [...]

If you like that, then check out the Rapid Prototyping area, and this
site: http://www.quickparts.com/
Old February 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Mike King

UMHW is translucent so probably not suitable for camera bodies unless you
paint it after you make it.

For something totally different you could make a body out of black Corian.

ABS also comes to mind.

--
darkroommike

----------
"jjs" wrote in message
In article , Nick Zentena
wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...3455,43831&ccu
rrency=1&SID=

Now when they say it machines just like wood do they mean soft pine or

the
worst tropical wood? I think the stuff is fairly common and you should

be
able to find it.

Thanks, Nick. I did not find that in my search. In return I will share the
folllowing link, although it gives me more choices than I know what to do
with. http://www.plastic-materials.com/

Two of the sources are right here in Minnesota.

Yes, as you suggested, some wood is very hard. If it cuts like Cherry I
would be happy. If it cuts like Ebony, I'd be as well off using steel.

Thank you again.

Old February 18th 04, 07:51 PM
jjs

"Mike King" wrote in message
UMHW is translucent so probably not suitable for camera bodies unless you
paint it after you make it.

For something totally different you could make a body out of black Corian.

ABS also comes to mind.

This camera has no body.

Old February 19th 04, 01:26 AM
George

Nope, that isn't why it is chosen. It is chosen for its strength and
hardness (in the case of hard maples like sugar maple)...many woods are more
stable dimensionally than maple and for the surfaces producing the sound in
wooden instruments you will see woods like Sitka spruce, mahogany, etc.

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

It's a lot better than spruce, which is why it's the material of choice

for
structural components of violins and guitars and the like.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old February 19th 04, 04:55 PM
jjs

"George" wrote in message
Nope, that isn't why it is chosen. It is chosen for its strength and
hardness (in the case of hard maples like sugar maple)...many woods are

more
stable dimensionally than maple and for the surfaces producing the sound

in
wooden instruments you will see woods like Sitka spruce, mahogany, etc.

Read David Littleboy's post carefully. He said "the structural components"
meaning the stressed portions such as the neck, bridge, and maybe the ridges
and soundpost, and he's right.

Old February 22nd 04, 05:04 AM
George

My error...hard maple would be excellent for structural components. I do
use it to build shop jigs and such as it also holds up very well and is
quite hard.

Old February 28th 04, 01:53 AM
John Garand

ON Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:44:11 -0600, (jjs)
WROTE:

Yes, as you suggested, some wood is very hard. If it cuts like Cherry I
would be happy. If it cuts like Ebony, I'd be as well off using steel.

Thank you again.

I see you have experienced the effect ebony has on woodworking tools.