Shock-resistant digital camera recommendations?

Old October 12th 04, 08:34 PM
Frank

Default Shock-resistant digital camera recommendations?

Hello,

I've been searching without success for recommendations on a digital
camera that can withstand being dropped from a reasonable distance.
Something that has a reputation for being able to withstand the
occasional bump or drop?

Someone dropped my Coolpix 880 about 5 inches (onto a table) and it cost
over $200 to get it repaired, so now I want to get a more rugged
camera that I can lend out instead. Looking for 2 or 3 megapixel, with
good image quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- Frank
Old October 12th 04, 09:34 PM
Frank ess

Frank wrote:
Hello,

I've been searching without success for recommendations on a digital
camera that can withstand being dropped from a reasonable distance.
Something that has a reputation for being able to withstand the
occasional bump or drop?

Someone dropped my Coolpix 880 about 5 inches (onto a table) and it
cost over $200 to get it repaired, so now I want to get a more rugged
camera that I can lend out instead. Looking for 2 or 3 megapixel,
with good image quality.

I dropped my 3MP Minolta Dimmidge Xt a foot and a half onto concrete,
and other than a flat corner on the case, no perceptible consequences.

I dropped my Nikon CP8700 a foot onto AstroTurfT on concrete, with no
visible or functional consequences. That I know of. So far.

--
Frank ess

PS: The reason for two dashes on a line above a sig is so that
thoughtful newsreaders will automatically cut off the signature and sig
lines, enabling easy, thoughtful, considerate bottom-posting.

Old October 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Chris D

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:34:08 -0700
"Frank ess" wrote:

--
Frank ess

PS: The reason for two dashes on a line above a sig is so that

thoughtful newsreaders will automatically cut off the
signature and sig lines, enabling easy, thoughtful,
considerate bottom-posting.

pedant
Actually, the proper sig seperator, and the one that thoughtful
newsreaders will automatically cut off, is two dashes, then a
space. The space is important, and thoughtful newsreaders need
it to work.

If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it for
you.
/pedant

- Chris D

--
Like this, see

Old October 13th 04, 12:49 AM
Chris D

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:10:08 +0930
Chris D wrote:

If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it
for you.
/pedant

Here's one that reffers to it... not what I was after though.

RFC 2646, section 4.3 - http://rfc.net/rfc2646.html#s4.3.

"There is a convention in Usenet news of using '-- ' as the
separator line between the body and the signature of a
message. When generating a Format=Flowed message containing a
Usenet-style separator before the signature, the separator
line is sent as-is. This is a special case; an (optionally
quoted) line consisting of DASH DASH SP is not considered
flowed."

-Chris D

--
Hey, who stole my .sig?!

Oh, waitup, here it is.

Old October 13th 04, 01:35 AM
Frank ess

Chris D wrote:

If I actually manage to find the relevant RFC, I'll post it
for you.
/pedant

Here's one that reffers to it... not what I was after though.

RFC 2646, section 4.3 - http://rfc.net/rfc2646.html#s4.3.

"There is a convention in Usenet news of using '-- ' as the
separator line between the body and the signature of a
message. When generating a Format=Flowed message containing a
Usenet-style separator before the signature, the separator
line is sent as-is. This is a special case; an (optionally
quoted) line consisting of DASH DASH SP is not considered
flowed."

-Chris D

Thank you.

--
Frank ess

--
Frank ess ... If your 'reader cuts after the "Thank you." it is like
mine, and doesn't need the SP.

Old October 13th 04, 02:38 AM
Chris D

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:35:57 -0700
"Frank ess" wrote:

Thank you.

You're welcome I Hafta say I'm impressed to see someone
actually doing the "Right thing" in newsgroups thesedays

-Chris D

--
work, n.:

The blessed respite from screaming kids and soap operas for
which you actually get paid.