The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

Old October 16th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

"Bruce" wrote in message
Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
affordable box does all you need?

David

Old October 16th 10, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
"David J Taylor" wrote:

Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
affordable box does all you need?

iPhone it is

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 16th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , david-
lid says...

"Bruce" wrote in message
Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3603...one-first-pics

Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
affordable box does all you need?

Ultimately it's all moving toward a universal information device.
Recording it, communicating, analyzing it, all in the same hand-held.

Pity Sony got out of the PDA business when they did--their Clie NX
series was getting very close to being there--mainly just lacked the
phone.

Old October 16th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 10/16/10 PDT 8:17 AM, MC wrote:

While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
regards to music or playing games - for instance.

Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
even a cheap one.
The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.
My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can also be a hit
or miss on the iPhone.

Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

Your ignorance of the iPhone is telling.

However, be sure to haul your 250 watt stereo and $3000 speakers to the
camp site....

--
john mcwilliams

"The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You
trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act.
You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There
can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution,
on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first."
-Jim Morrison

Old October 17th 10, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
"MC" wrote:

1. iPhone
for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
navigation and photography

While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
regards to music or playing games - for instance.

Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
even a cheap one.

I obviously disagree. The iPhone is a lot better than my Canon IXUS.
Handles light conditions better. The IXUS flash is a disaster, and the
iPhone flash is only so-so.

The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.

I don't have an "expensive contract" and no ties with my iPhone. It
costs to make phone calls and surf the web, but that's not exclusive
to the iPhone

My cameras and games machines are not.

My P&S camera is built in - that does not make them tied to a contract.

The Sat Nav can also be a hit or miss on the iPhone.

It's always hit here.

Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
individaul "built for purpose devices".

Sure, but the next to perfect one device outweighs the hassle of
several devices these days.

When they do, and at an
acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

Don't get me wrong - my Nikon D3S isn't being replaced by my iPhone
any day soon. But the subject was P&S cameras.

--
Sandman[.net]