GPS

Old September 1st 04, 06:52 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:18:49 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

--Cut----------

In short, you are really WAY off on this one.

You are amazing! We were discussing a connecting a GPS receiver to
a PC. The GPS Rx has only three data pins (TD, RD, GND), the start,
stop, data and parity are fixed, the cable with the correct
connectors if not supplied with it is on the hook next to it in the
shop, the supplied software sets the PC for these parameters and can
not be altered by the user. It is possible for the user to mismatch
the Bd rate and the protocol at the two ends, but that is because
the international standard for communicating with GPS devices has
been revised and your new receiver must be backward compatible. Have
you used a GPS with a PC? Have you used a GPS with other serial
equipment? I have, I connect them, they work; the work because
nothing needs changing.
Besides a sub-miniature Dee connector is far more rugged for field
use that a USB.
In short you have no idea.

I read the instructions for MY GPS for the transfer. I concluded that
it would be more trouble to set the thing up than I was willing to
deal with. Your system may be different. Mine was more trouble than
I was willing to deal with for the minimal gain. The software wad
indechipherable. Case closed.

Unfortunately there are badly written user manuals, there are also
people who can not comprehend a well written user manual, using USB does
not eliminate these problems.

N.B. A GPS receiver without a serial port is not NEMA compliant, a
laptop without a serial port is not NEMA compliant. If I wanted to use a
laptop with a GPS receiver I would buy one that has a serial port, in
fact I would want a serial port anyway.

It would cost the manufacture money to redesign the integrated circuit
to provide USB in addition to NEMA, the customer would have to pay for
that through increased price.

Fine, up the price $20 I will pay!

The adapter to do the job is only a few bucks. Get shopping!
Old September 1st 04, 06:54 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:33:24 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

N.B. A GPS receiver without a serial port is not NEMA compliant, a
laptop without a serial port is not NEMA compliant.

Why would I care about NEMA compliance? I just want it to work.

Because if a GPSR were not NMEA (really) compliant, there
would be little reason to want to connect it to a computer.

If I wanted to use a laptop with a GPS receiver I would buy one that has
a serial port, in fact I would want a serial port anyway.

People don't buy laptops to work with GPS receivers; quite the opposite.

MOMMM! Keep them popsicle sticks coming!

Old September 1st 04, 07:05 AM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:50:45 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

Strange idea, buying a laptop that wont work them complaining about the
nasty GPS Rx people for being standard unlike your laptop.

Strange idea, buying a laptop based on the needs of a GPS receiver.
People don't do that, and suggesting that they do or should is silly.

If I want a laptop based on my need to use the occasional
floppy disc (I do), then I buy one that will. (Hell, I even buy the
required adapter -- it's called an external drive).

If I want a laptop based on my need to read/write CDs, I buy
one that will.

If I want a laptop based on my need to read/write DVDs, I buy
one that will.

If I want a laptop based on my need to output S-video to my
TV, I buy one that will.

If I wanted a laptop based on my need to work with either
RS-232-C GPS interfaces or USB GPS interfaces, I buy one that will.

Or I buy a couple cheap adapters that will allow me that
flexibility. The one thing I do not do is sit on the floor sniveling
about how "the world must come to me or I will not buy one -- so
there". Stamping my widdle foot.

Old September 1st 04, 07:07 AM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:42:23 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

If they are buying the GPS receiver to work with the laptop, they can
get a PC-card GPS. No serial or USB port needed. These have been
available for years under $150.

Okay. Where? I just went to Garman and Magellan's sites and I'm not
seeing anything like that, though they don't exactly make it easy to
get an overview of all their products.

Do you have one of those obsolete PCs which isn't capable of
using Google?

Old September 1st 04, 07:08 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Why would I care about NEMA compliance? I just want it to work.

Because if a GPSR were not NMEA (really) compliant, there
would be little reason to want to connect it to a computer.

But, see, that's the thing. There is little reason to want to connect it
to a computer *now*. Or, more accurately, there are a lot of reasons to
want to connect it to a computer, none of which have actually been
implemented in real life. So, given that NMEA (or NEMA, I have no idea
which is correct) isn't doing anything for me *now*, why would I care
about it?

Indeed, in looking at the web sites, I see that both Garmin and Magellan
have new units with maps already loaded of the entire country, and no
need to plug into a computer to load them at all. While severely
limited in functionality (ie, you can only do what their software wants
to let you do) that might be an acceptable hold-over until someone
actually gets it right -- just treat it as a stand-alone appliance
and never worry about it interoperating with anything.

Of course, that all depends on their software.

--
Jeremy |