[SI] COMM-ents

Old February 5th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default [SI] COMM-ents

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Mojtaba: this is about as basic as it gets. Parent or relative
communication with children. The beginning. Photo is a bit
"snapshotish but the connected moment is decisively "communication".

Alan B - Jefferson Memorial - Really, is there anything that
communicates so well as the US DoI? eg: "Hoi, you Brits! Shove it!"
It only took Americans 225 years or so to live up to it. Almost.
Available dying light and waiting patiently for (other) tourists to get
out of they way...

Alan B - Modem - yeah a grabby equipment shot. Flash with slow shutter
to record der blinkenen lights. Handheld. And Jim, some of us are just
given better eqt by our ISP's.

Alan B - Auction - What begat communication anyway? I guy trying to get
laid or a guy trying to sell something so he could later get laid?
Heavily backlit. At that I underexposed the subject but cheated
mightily in ACR to bring you the wonderful incongruity of an
Amish/Mennonite auction.

Bowser - Royal: I was looking to do this for a subject but couldn't find
a good looking typewriter. I like the timely sentence from "A tale..."
(at least I think that's what it's from). See earlier SI:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/23765604 - like that shadow treatment
of the keys.

Bowser mailbox. Okay this just proves you're as lazy as I am.

Russel: as a swimmer it always amazes me when people cheer from the
sidelines. I never heard a damn thing.

Russel: see Auction comments above... it's all about... The most
pleasing thing in this otherwise crass display is the pink tinged
mountain in the back.

Foxy Walter: as communication I don't get it. Blinked eyes? and...

Cooper's dials: communications are long gone here. Message is
technology marches on?

Cooper secret: possibly the best "communication" composition in the
bunch. Composition, colors, etc. are great and borderline cliche, but
the technical rendering is horrible. I'm sure you have an excuse or
want others to fix it.

Jim: you're even more lazy than Bowser and I put together.

Jim: Still damned lazy. But kinda, sorta, maybe cool.

Jim: Real modem's have two backup battery slots. (Mine has a slot for 2
batteries, but only one has a battery in it). I really despise the
highlight along the lettering. And only because I didn't screw that up
in my shot (aimed the flash well away).

SolPeach grave stone. I like this end of communication story ... the
lettering looks 'shopped.

SolPeach big love. I like the sentiment and communication. As one of
only 3 photos with two people interacting with each other in it, it is
one of the better "communication" photos of this set. B&W treatment
helps a lot.

Paul F. Insulators don't say "communication" to me. Yeah they could be
telegraph lines, but maybe not. Colors are cool, but overall soft
effect dampens the communication even more, IMO. Kudos for
experimenting with a homemade lens. (assumption).

Bret droppings: Nothing like Bret coming in late with his middle finger
up. Sky is dead dull. Collection of antennas is not interesting per se
but at least that bird has a great opinion of US television in general.

Paul F. Wires. Again, these say power transmission to me more than
communications. The stop and brake lights sorta gives you an out (and a
splash of color) but they are way off in compo.
Old February 5th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:25:00 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shotin/communication

Cooper's dials: communications are long gone here. Message is
technology marches on?

No message intended. I just like taking photographs of old things.

I submitted the same image in color and in black and white hoping for
some comment on which version works the best for the subject matter.

Cooper secret: possibly the best "communication" composition in the
bunch. Composition, colors, etc. are great and borderline cliche,

Thank you.

but the technical rendering is horrible.

An explanation of what is wrong would be appreciated. I'm not
sure...make that...I don't have the slightest idea...of what you mean
by rendering. I know that dead animals are rendered and artists do
renderings, but I don't know the term photographically. Surely that
is not some Swiftian instruction to boil my grandsons.

I'm sure you have an excuse

No excuses, Sir. The shot was posed by my grandchildren, but they
would only allow one shot. I wanted to re-shoot and move them away
from the top left background through the bushes, but they were off
like a shot. I felt fortunate that the one frame came out well
enough.

or want others to fix it.

Teach me to fish. Don't fish for me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 5th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Mojtaba: this is about as basic as it gets. Parent or relative
communication with children. The beginning. Photo is a bit
"snapshotish but the connected moment is decisively "communication".

And will be treasured over the years no doubt. Note the matching cheeks,
chin & hair g.

Alan B - Jefferson Memorial - Really, is there anything that
communicates so well as the US DoI? eg: "Hoi, you Brits! Shove it!" It
only took Americans 225 years or so to live up to it. Almost.

Bye bye gitmo.

Available
dying light and waiting patiently for (other) tourists to get out of
they way...

Alan B - Modem - yeah a grabby equipment shot. Flash with slow shutter
to record der blinkenen lights. Handheld. And Jim, some of us are just
given better eqt by our ISP's.

Alan B - Auction - What begat communication anyway? I guy trying to get
laid or a guy trying to sell something so he could later get laid?
Heavily backlit. At that I underexposed the subject but cheated
mightily in ACR to bring you the wonderful incongruity of an
Amish/Mennonite auction.

OK, you get points for the back story.
Was that film? Probably not easy to pull off such an exposure with digital.

You missed Bowser's American patriot. Good photo too.

Bowser - Royal: I was looking to do this for a subject but couldn't find
a good looking typewriter. I like the timely sentence from "A tale..."
(at least I think that's what it's from). See earlier SI:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/23765604 - like that shadow treatment
of the keys.

I like how that one hit the mandate, especially the strange looking
digital keys in that corner. Bowser's would have been fun with a couple
keys flying & some fingers but it's nice as is too.

Bowser mailbox. Okay this just proves you're as lazy as I am.

Russel: as a swimmer it always amazes me when people cheer from the
sidelines. I never heard a damn thing.

Russel: see Auction comments above... it's all about... The most
pleasing thing in this otherwise crass display is the pink tinged
mountain in the back.

Utah is pretty.

Foxy Walter: as communication I don't get it. Blinked eyes? and...

For a dog, squinting or averting eyes means submission, no?

Cooper's dials: communications are long gone here. Message is
technology marches on?

Prefer the b&w. I like this kind of subject but needs something more to
the composition.

Cooper secret: possibly the best "communication" composition in the
bunch. Composition, colors, etc. are great and borderline cliche, but
the technical rendering is horrible. I'm sure you have an excuse or
want others to fix it.

Technicolor!
The background bothers me more than the color/contrast or whatever is
bugging you but yeah it's a great catch. Um... not sure if the lipstick
was a bit too much though g.

Jim: you're even more lazy than Bowser and I put together.

Jim: Still damned lazy. But kinda, sorta, maybe cool.

This was going to be my submission for b&w last month:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7603231101723/
pbtbtbtbt!

Is that the letter 'c' in communication or sumptin?

Jim: Real modem's have two backup battery slots. (Mine has a slot for 2
batteries, but only one has a battery in it). I really despise the
highlight along the lettering. And only because I didn't screw that up
in my shot (aimed the flash well away).

SolPeach grave stone. I like this end of communication story ... the
lettering looks 'shopped.

SolPeach big love. I like the sentiment and communication. As one of
only 3 photos with two people interacting with each other in it, it is
one of the better "communication" photos of this set. B&W treatment
helps a lot.

:-)

Paul F. Insulators don't say "communication" to me. Yeah they could be
telegraph lines, but maybe not. Colors are cool, but overall soft
effect dampens the communication even more, IMO. Kudos for
experimenting with a homemade lens. (assumption).

Yeah well it's better than the 'Wires' shot that came first. That is a
homemade lens, a magnifying glass which works out to be 85mm f/1.2 g.

Bret droppings: Nothing like Bret coming in late with his middle finger
up. Sky is dead dull. Collection of antennas is not interesting per se
but at least that bird has a great opinion of US television in general.

Amen.

Paul F. Wires. Again, these say power transmission to me more than
communications. The stop and brake lights sorta gives you an out (and a
splash of color) but they are way off in compo.

There's phone lines in there too g. Agreed this one was lame.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 5th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bowser

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

Bowser - Royal: I was looking to do this for a subject but couldn't find a
good looking typewriter. I like the timely sentence from "A tale..." (at
least I think that's what it's from). See earlier SI:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/23765604 - like that shadow treatment
of the keys.

Yes, A Tale of Two Cities. Great literature. Bad typewriter.

Bowser mailbox. Okay this just proves you're as lazy as I am.

Hey, it fits the mandate!

Old February 5th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Foxy Walter: as communication I don't get it. Blinked eyes? and...

Soft face (non threatening)
closed eyes (I trust you)
Seated (Emphasis, I would not expect you to violate my trust)
One ear pointed away (cautious)

Together mean "thank you, friend but I am still being careful"

Thanks for your comments. This was a fun SI.

Walter..

Old February 5th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Alan B - At that I underexposed the subject but cheated
mightily in ACR to bring you the wonderful incongruity of an
Amish/Mennonite auction.

A couple weeks ago I passed a Mennonite wagon near here
whose driver was talking on his cell phone. I thought about
the SI mandate and could not bring myself to intrude. Camera
was on the seat beside me.

w..

Old February 5th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Mojtaba: this is about as basic as it gets. Parent or relative
communication with children. The beginning. Photo is a bit
"snapshotish but the connected moment is decisively "communication".

And will be treasured over the years no doubt. Note the matching cheeks,
chin & hair g.

Alan B - Jefferson Memorial - Really, is there anything that
communicates so well as the US DoI? eg: "Hoi, you Brits! Shove it!"
It only took Americans 225 years or so to live up to it. Almost.

Bye bye gitmo.

Odds are that Gitmo will still have prisoners in one year. There are
some nasty critters in there that cannot be tried in a way that will
survive higher courts. OTOH, they are ticking time bombs (!) if sent
anywhere in the world. Bush screwed the pooch so hard with this lunacy.

Available dying light and waiting patiently for (other) tourists to
get out of they way...

Alan B - Modem - yeah a grabby equipment shot. Flash with slow
shutter to record der blinkenen lights. Handheld. And Jim, some of
us are just given better eqt by our ISP's.

Alan B - Auction - What begat communication anyway? I guy trying to
get laid or a guy trying to sell something so he could later get laid?
Heavily backlit. At that I underexposed the subject but cheated
mightily in ACR to bring you the wonderful incongruity of an
Amish/Mennonite auction.

OK, you get points for the back story.
Was that film? Probably not easy to pull off such an exposure with digital.

You missed Bowser's American patriot. Good photo too.

Yes, sorry Bows, it is a good phot for the mandate (archive?) and does
tie in to my TJ shot, which I meant to mention... doih.

[...]

I don't know. A fox would run, I would think. Everytime I got close to
one (20 ft or so) they took off into the thickets.

Cooper's dials: communications are long gone here. Message is
technology marches on?

Prefer the b&w. I like this kind of subject but needs something more to
the composition.

Cooper secret: possibly the best "communication" composition in the
bunch. Composition, colors, etc. are great and borderline cliche, but
the technical rendering is horrible. I'm sure you have an excuse or
want others to fix it.

Technicolor!
The background bothers me more than the color/contrast or whatever is
bugging you but yeah it's a great catch. Um... not sure if the lipstick
was a bit too much though g.

No the image has a lot of processing artifacts. Like it was cropped,
blown up and over contrasted. Or something.

Jim: you're even more lazy than Bowser and I put together.

Jim: Still damned lazy. But kinda, sorta, maybe cool.

This was going to be my submission for b&w last month:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7603231101723/

I like the textures on that. Cool.

[...]

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Walter Banks wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

My flippant comments. Official rpe.35mm version.

Alan B - At that I underexposed the subject but cheated
mightily in ACR to bring you the wonderful incongruity of an
Amish/Mennonite auction.

A couple weeks ago I passed a Mennonite wagon near here
whose driver was talking on his cell phone. I thought about
the SI mandate and could not bring myself to intrude. Camera
was on the seat beside me.

The Mennonites are pretty tech groovy. At the same auction (which was
joint Amish Mennonite) the Mennonites were the technical arm (bus from a
parking lot; driving cars, cell phones and so on. In the same community
Amish plowing fields with modern disk plows about 30 feet wide pulled by
enormous horses...

We took some photos of kids at the auction (after asking their parents)
and there was no objection. Mennonites I guess.

Grab shot: http://www.aliasimages.com/images/PICT5421CRPSMALL.jpg

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/communication

Foxy Walter: as communication I don't get it. Blinked eyes? and...

For a dog, squinting or averting eyes means submission, no?

I don't know. A fox would run, I would think. Everytime I got close to
one (20 ft or so) they took off into the thickets.

I saw a fox approach our campfire one night, within 10 feet. Also once
saw a guy walking a fox on a leash in Hyde Park, London - the poor thing
was very nervous & skittish looking.

Jim: you're even more lazy than Bowser and I put together.

Jim: Still damned lazy. But kinda, sorta, maybe cool.

This was going to be my submission for b&w last month:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7603231101723/

I like the textures on that. Cool.

Matte screen.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 5th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Alan Browne wrote:

Foxy Walter: as communication I don't get it. Blinked eyes? and...

For a dog, squinting or averting eyes means submission, no?

I don't know. A fox would run, I would think. Everytime I got close to
one (20 ft or so) they took off into the thickets.

It was submission and a message of trust. In another post I
translated the message.

The body language and behaviour of foxes is very similar to dogs.
This one was raised in a den under the floor of an old log cottage.
Her parents often hunted near our house always wary. Several
times last spring and summer I walked down near the den. I was
being watched carefully by mom. She nursed her young and let
them play as close as 15 or 20 feet away.

Such a treat. Just prior to this picture Laura tossed the young
fox a dog treat we were on the deck she was maybe 10 feet
away from Laura. Toss 2 or 3 and they will bury the spares
for later.

A week ago a pile of Roughed Grouse feathers appeared within
20 feet of the house. Fox prints all around. I saw her as recently as
a couple weeks ago, there are daily new foot prints.

To be clear she is a wild animal and I would have it no other way
her instincts are to flee humans we have never molested her and
it is great fun to see her often for quite close outside face to face.
We see lots of other evidence of her hunting during the winter
with remains of grouse, doves,rabbits and small rodents.

w..