Better Beamer

Old February 5th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Better Beamer

Many years ago I got a Better Beamer. Other than testing it with a
meter to see about a 1.5 - 2 stop light gain, I've never used it.

Anyone? Annika you have/had one IIRC. Ever use it for good effect?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default |GG| Better Beamer

Annika1980 wrote:

Another item that I've been meaning to try, but would probably never
use is a Gorillapod.

I tried a D200 with small lens on the biggest version and it was able to
hold it up, at least in a normal position. I have a mini tripod, about 2
feet tall extended which I never think to bring (Quantaray Titan II).
It's pretty bulky collapsed.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 6th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:14 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
Many years ago I got a Better Beamer. Other than testing it with a
meter to see about a 1.5 - 2 stop light gain, I've never used it.

Anyone? Annika you have/had one IIRC. Ever use it for good effect?

Very, very rarely. I shoulda have added that one to my list.

I put mine up for sale on lespac.com and craigslist yesterday.
Had an e-mail 30 minutes later. Sold.

The problem with using it for the type of shooting I do is that
usually I require fast shutter speeds. That means very little flash
output. You also have to be careful when you set the camera down when
the BB is installed on the flash. Since it's just a souped up fresnel
lens, it'll burn up something nearby pretty quick if the sun hits it
at the right angle. Don't leave it on your car seat.

The ideal use of the BB would be for a bird in a tree that is in deep
shade. The only problem with that is that the BB lights up everything
between it and the subject so you'd better not have any branches or
leaves between you and the bird. It's rare that I get that open a
shot on anything.

It should be good for backlit shots as well.

Another item that I've been meaning to try, but would probably never
use is a Gorillapod.

One little gadget that does work is a tiny ballhead on a window
clamp. I've used this combo many times for shooting out the car
window. But enough about cheerleader practice ....

Do post.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 7th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Many years ago I got a Better Beamer. Other than testing it with a
meter to see about a 1.5 - 2 stop light gain, I've never used it.

Anyone? Annika you have/had one IIRC. Ever use it for good effect?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

I have a couple. On the rare instances I use them, they're fine. You have
to be careful to aim it correctly - do a test flash.

--
Alan Justice

Old February 7th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Alan Justice wrote:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Many years ago I got a Better Beamer. Other than testing it with a
meter to see about a 1.5 - 2 stop light gain, I've never used it.

Anyone? Annika you have/had one IIRC. Ever use it for good effect?

I have a couple. On the rare instances I use them, they're fine. You have
to be careful to aim it correctly - do a test flash.

I sold my 300 f/2.8 last week. So I put my BB up for sale on Thur
evening. 30 minutes later it was sold. Should have asked for more $ in
the announcement, I guess.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 13th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Alan Justice wrote:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Many years ago I got a Better Beamer. Other than testing it with a
meter to see about a 1.5 - 2 stop light gain, I've never used it.

Anyone? Annika you have/had one IIRC. Ever use it for good effect?

I have a couple. On the rare instances I use them, they're fine. You

have
to be careful to aim it correctly - do a test flash.

I sold my 300 f/2.8 last week. So I put my BB up for sale on Thur
evening. 30 minutes later it was sold. Should have asked for more $ in
the announcement, I guess.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

The're good for anything over what the flash focuses to, 105 mm for mine.
So it would help for a 200 mm lens.
--
Alan Justice

Old February 13th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Alan Justice wrote:

I sold my 300 f/2.8 last week. So I put my BB up for sale on Thur
evening. 30 minutes later it was sold. Should have asked for more $ in
the announcement, I guess.

The're good for anything over what the flash focuses to, 105 mm for mine.
So it would help for a 200 mm lens.

Per the instructions they are for 300mm or longer lenses (200mm lenses
on cropped sensor). You set the head zoom to 50mm.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.