Nikon D2Xs Autofocusing Problems

Old January 26th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Smitty

Default Nikon D2Xs Autofocusing Problems

I have a new Nikon D2Xs (since Nov 2006) with a number of prime and zoom
lenses, all of them AF-D Nikkors.

I'm concerned about AF focusing accuracy (as evidenced by less than sharp
images) in a number of situations. I've eliminated concerns about static
shooting situations (still subjects) by carefully shooting images in RAW
format, single frame motor drive, Single-servo AF, aperture of f/8, a
shutter speed much higher than necessary and have found I get exceptionally
sharp images.

Shooting action images - with either my 80-200 AF-D f/2.8 or my 300mm AF-D
f/4 - has NOT produced reliably sharp images. In these situations I've also
shot in RAW format, Continuous high speed motor drive, aperture of f/8, a
shutter speed much higher than necessary, but set my AF at Continuous-Servo
AF and Dynamic-area AF.

Has anyone has a similar problem, or can anyone give me some solid
suggestions?

Many thanks!

Old January 26th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Smitty

RTFM? I don't know what this acronym means??

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:25:49 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Smitty"
wrote:

[...]

Sigh. Yes, RTFM specifically. p.185 Custom Setting a1: AF-C Priority
Selection. Since you haven't mentioned it the default setting allows the
shutter to be released even when the camera is not focused.
--
Ed Ruf )

Old January 26th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Smitty

Oh thanks. I've done that of course. And all the settings are correct.

Thanks for the smart-ass reply.

"Ed Ruf " "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote
in message news
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 06:58:08 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Smitty"
wrote:

RTFM? I don't know what this acronym means??

Read the fine/fabulous/flipping/etc manual.
-
Ed Ruf )

Old January 26th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 06:58:08 -0800, Smitty wrote:

RTFM? I don't know what this acronym means??

You really will have to stay in more.....:-)

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.
Old January 27th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Smitty

Just WHO the hell do you think you are to pass judgment on who ought to post
here or not? Who appointed you God? Probably you.

Read my post you dumb ****. I never said anything about a D200. My
original post was about my D2Xs.

And yes, you really are a dumb ****, not to mention a miserably sorry
asshole. Pity on your wife or boyfriend.

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:48:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Smitty"
wrote:

Oh thanks. I've done that of course. And all the settings are correct.

Thanks for the smart-ass reply.

Let us see:

- You don't appear to be a contributor to this group or the
rec.photo.digital nor rec.photo.digital.slr-systems groups.

-You don't appear to have looked for any relevant message threads such as
the ongoing D200 focus thread where this is being discussed.

- You left out any mention of the AF-C Mode Priority setting which can
have
a direct impact on your results.

- You simply state, "shutter speed much higher than necessary" but give no
real data or description for these "action images." So we have no way of
knowing the actual situation, including something as simple as what was
the
implied subject motion? Were you panning or was the distance to the
subject
changing?

- You make no mention of what actually the camera was focused on in these
images. Did you check in the display or using Nikon Capture as to what the
camera was actually focused on and was that in focus. It might not be what
you consider to be the subject.

So, if I'm a smartass, just what does that make you, a dumbass?

--
Ed Ruf )

D2Xs Review posted gnnyman Digital SLR Cameras 0 November 8th 06 01:23 PM
Nikon D2Xs Review Dr. Georg N.Nyman Digital SLR Cameras 5 November 2nd 06 01:07 PM
D2xs? cjcampbell Digital SLR Cameras 5 June 5th 06 02:27 AM
E1 Autofocusing Speed Chief Digital Photography 4 March 3rd 05 11:55 AM
E1 Autofocusing Speed Chief Digital Photography 0 March 2nd 05 10:00 PM