New photographer/videographer directory (UK)

Old July 16th 03, 12:42 AM
Jim Sewell

Default New photographer/videographer directory (UK)

Dear Sirs,
Forgive me if I've already contacted you, but I have just
designed a new photography/videography directory which I thought would
interest you greatly.
Apart from photographers and videographers, there will be no other products
or services featured on the directory, meaning that anybody looking for your
service will find it quick and easy to locate just what they want. No need
to sift through many categories...
The site is now live at www.photographer-directory.co.uk where I can add you
within 24 hours if you'd like your business featured under any of the
listings. Listings will cost just £15 per year for as many counties as you'd
like adding to. The site is deliberately basic in design to make it
extremely easy for visitors to navigate.
The site will be added to many search engines over the next few weeks, and
also to some of the existing wedding directories in their photography
sections.
Places are filling fast...

Regards

D Bone

Old July 16th 03, 05:40 AM
Gordon Moat

Netscape badly breaks your site. Your front page could be a bit more
interesting; will it be changing?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
Alliance Graphique Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old July 16th 03, 06:48 AM
Tony Spadaro

Pretty pathetic Jim. I would suggest you learn how to build a website
before you try to make a fortune off it. No one is going to hire a
photographer displayed that poorly.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old July 16th 03, 07:13 AM
Jim Sewell

Netscape badly breaks your site. Your front page could be a bit more
interesting; will it be changing?

Gordon,
The front page is my main concern too...
I'll look into changing it ASAP.

D Bone

Old July 16th 03, 07:21 AM
Jim Sewell

Pretty pathetic Jim. I would suggest you learn how to build a
website before you try to make a fortune off it.

Not trying to make a fortune, and not looking for any design awards !
It is what it is. Just a very basic portal serving as a directory.
Very simple in design=simple to use=simple to find what you need in a hurry.

Personally I hate the more recent flash sites that have the intro to watch
then loads of rubbish to read, then a complicated bunch of "this is here,
that is there" type links.
Visitor figures are increasing daily at present and that can only be good
for those listed on the site !

D Bone

Old July 17th 03, 02:08 AM
NickC

Jim Sewell wrote:
[...]

Not bad Jim. The concept answers the question, who can I call to take
type pictures. It's up to the person called to convinve the seeker
that he should get the assignment.

Nick

Old July 17th 03, 11:32 AM
Dan Pidcock

"Jim Sewell" wrote in message ...
Pretty pathetic Jim. I would suggest you learn how to build a
website before you try to make a fortune off it.

Not trying to make a fortune, and not looking for any design awards !
It is what it is. Just a very basic portal serving as a directory.
Very simple in design=simple to use=simple to find what you need in a hurry.

Personally I hate the more recent flash sites that have the intro to watch
then loads of rubbish to read, then a complicated bunch of "this is here,
that is there" type links.
Visitor figures are increasing daily at present and that can only be good
for those listed on the site !

Yes I hate these too, but I don't think the problem with your site is
that it is too basic, more that it has unnecessary bits of 'eye candy'
that detract from the content. What I don't like:
- too much underlined text, especially on the home page. Underlined
usually means a link and just adds distracting horizontal lines that
make the text hard to read.
- the rotating cog horizontal ruler at the bottom of the page.
Animated graphics are very distracting and draw the eye away from
content. It's like composition in photography!
- very large fonts used by default. This makes them harder to read at
a glance, and also makes the lists very long to scroll through.
- The mail me button looks out of place as it doesn't fit in style
wise with the rest. Why not just use text?
- The background graphic is quite bright, but this is maybe more of a
personal taste thing...

Just tying to provide constructive criticism. Feel free to slag off
my poxy website (http://www.pidcock.co.uk).

Dan
Old July 17th 03, 12:06 PM
Jim Sewell

Just tying to provide constructive criticism.

Much appreciated, and I agree to an extent !
I mean to sort the underlining out anyway, but some bits seem OK to me.

Regards

D Bone