Formatting SmartMedia on Mac

Old August 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
Kirby

Default Formatting SmartMedia on Mac

Is there any way to reformat a SM card on Macs? I have two that the
early Mac OS X goofed up and would like to reformat them. Is there a
utility? Right now, the card reader doesn't see them at all.

--
Best,
Kirby
Old August 24th 04, 12:44 AM
nesredep egrob

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:01:23 GMT, Kirby wrote:

Is there any way to reformat a SM card on Macs? I have two that the
early Mac OS X goofed up and would like to reformat them. Is there a
utility? Right now, the card reader doesn't see them at all.

In order of trouble you can cause a smcard:
1: physically break it
2:drop it on the ground and stand on it with hobnailed boots
3:format it in a computer which is not connected via a Zio reader.

The camera is the only place to format if you are not properly equipped.

If you really are in trouble, do have a look at this
http://www.pchell.com/index.shtml
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
Old August 24th 04, 01:21 AM
Phil Stripling

In article , Kirby
wrote:

Is there any way to reformat a SM card on Macs? I have two that the
early Mac OS X goofed up and would like to reformat them. Is there a
utility? Right now, the card reader doesn't see them at all.

My suggestion for all memory cards is to format them in the device that
is using them. Cameras keep track of lots of information on the card.

Old August 24th 04, 04:14 AM
Kirby

nesredep egrob Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:01:23 GMT, Kirby wrote:

Is there any way to reformat a SM card on Macs? I have two that the
early Mac OS X goofed up and would like to reformat them. Is there a
utility? Right now, the card reader doesn't see them at all.

In order of trouble you can cause a smcard:
1: physically break it
2:drop it on the ground and stand on it with hobnailed boots
3:format it in a computer which is not connected via a Zio reader.

The camera is the only place to format if you are not properly equipped.

Camera won't see the card since the formatting was trashed when it was
read in OS X(Early version). So, Can't format it there either. I get an
error message.

Old August 24th 04, 03:47 PM
clw

Kirby wrote:

Camera won't see the card since the formatting was trashed when it was
read in OS X(Early version). So, Can't format it there either. I get an
error message.

The directions for my Canon S60 says that you should format in the
camera you are going to use the card with, and, if you have trouble
formating in the camera, turn off the camera, remove and re-insert the
card and try again.

I have just formated two Lexar cards for this camera that had been
previously formated in another. No problem.

--
It is an aspect of maturity to deal rationally with inconsistencies

Old August 25th 04, 01:23 AM
nesredep egrob

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:21:11 GMT, Phil Stripling
wrote:

In article , Kirby
wrote:

Is there any way to reformat a SM card on Macs? I have two that the
early Mac OS X goofed up and would like to reformat them. Is there a
utility? Right now, the card reader doesn't see them at all.

My suggestion for all memory cards is to format them in the device that
is using them. Cameras keep track of lots of information on the card.

There is another way. Trouble is that you must have a Hex Editor and the
knowledge to work it - a relatively rare thing now with rare use of DOS.

I once had a site with all possible combinations of SM card information, even
the special Olympus Pan ones that cost an arm and a leg. All you had to do was
to unzip the file for the size of the card and write it to the faulty card.

However I never had any feed back so presumed it was not used. I still have the
zip files on the computer so if anyone feels like a bit of arm wrestling with a
good hex editor, capable of writing to a card then I am prepared to send the
file as an attachment.

For your information, my stats a
Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb memory,ADSL
200+200 GB of disc space,Oly C2100UZ,Optio S,Sony 355E, Canon S1.
Burners CD and DVD (Sony make)
Borge Pedersen :-)
Perth, Australia

remove SPAM and underlines for email
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge

Old August 25th 04, 05:27 AM
Steve Hix

clw wrote:

In article ,
Kirby wrote:

Camera won't see the card since the formatting was trashed when it was
read in OS X(Early version).

You have *serious* problems if *reading* the card affected its
formatting.