Buying Online

Old August 21st 04, 06:33 PM
Dave

I would buy from one of the very reliable online merchants that are widely
known. In my opinion, there really aren't that many. B&H Photo Video in
NYC is one. I'm sure there are others. Know exactly what you expect to
receive and go over the list on the phone. Do whatever research is required
to get that list. Pay with MC/VISA and make sure that your issuing bank's
policy permits you to contest the charges should something "go south." I
have seen some banks' policies that make it more difficult to contest
charges when the merchant is more than 50 miles away. That was years ago,
maybe the banks are doing something different now.

"Shannon" wrote in message
I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

Old August 21st 04, 07:40 PM
Verne Cotton

Caveat Emptor!!
I almost bought an Oly 8080 from a grey area dealer only to find out that it
was an "import model". This means that you get a Japanese camera with a
Japanese manual, no battery, straps of any of the other goodies that comes
in the box with at the retail outlet.
So don't let greed rule your decision or you will get screwed.
After my near screwing, I finally found Beach Camera: an official online Oly
dealer (other brands too) and a dealer recommended by Steve's Digiicams.com.
The weren't the cheapest place but still a lot lower than retail.
I called them to discuss my order just to make sure that I was getting what
I paid for and they were polite, helpful, and professional. Bottom line: I
got my Oly 8080 WZ with case, spare battery and a full box for around 800
bucks including free shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that.
Good luck with your shopping.
Verne

Old August 21st 04, 07:48 PM
lefty

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:33:21 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

You gotta be careful///sometimes a too good price is just that; these
are dealers that get a price breakpoint at ~100 units. They hold all
their orders until they satisfy that breakpoint...could be month or
more. And you sit waiting... Also... use VISA - not a promo for
them, but they support your purchase and in alot of cases, double your
warranty if from a dealer.

Old August 21st 04, 11:34 PM
Ken Scharf

"Shannon" wrote in message

I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

That's a fair price on the C8080, still a bit below the MSRP and not
really above the 'street price'.
Factory referb C8080's are already on ebay, and for not much less
than that!

Good luck with your new camera. I was looking at the current crop
of 8mp cameras and none of them seemed perfect, though the Oly was
the closest to it. If it only had a manual zoom ring, optical
finder and used AA batteries! But then maybe what I really wanted
was a true SLR at a rangefinder price.
Old August 22nd 04, 02:58 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Shannon" wrote in message
I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

Cameta Camera, Adorama, and B&H are the three NY dealers I have purchased
from. There are more reputable ones but there are far more rip-off artists
in NY then reputable it seems. If the price is too low it is because you
won't get the camera unless you buy overpriced accessories and wind up
spending more money with them anyway.

Old August 22nd 04, 12:39 PM
Krow

Shannon wrote:
I've found some cameras I'm considering buying for college, and I see
that some online prices are very low when compared to buying in stores. I
know that some online prices are low because they don't include U.S.
warranties. Are there other reasons why the prices are lower?
Should I consider buying online, and what are some of the things I
should be concerned about?
If it makes a difference, I'm considering Canon and Kodak models.

Thank you,

Shannon

Shannon

Don't be afraid to bicker over prices. I recently asked for quotes from
area dealers and reputable on-line sources for a package deal: Digital
Rebel, a second lens, battery grip, extra battery, flash.... I asked
sent my request via email and told each one I was shopping around for
the best deal I could get.

Both local, and surprising to me, most on-line dealers came back with a
total price much lower than their shelf/advertised price. Quotes here in
Canada ranged from $2200 to $3100 for the same items! Surprisingly, my
in-town private storefront guy was within $250 of the lowest on-line
quote. I went back to him and told him what I could get it for, would
like to buy locally (true), but this was too much of a difference. He
came down to within $100 of my lowest quote. That made it worthwhile
for me to drop in to pick up what I wanted that day - no waiting, no
shipping, and best of all I now have a relationship with my local dealer.

Since then I've been able to order several other items from him at
reduced prices. Its a win/win situation - I get the prices I want as
well as the personalized service ("if anything goes wrong just bring it
in here and we'll look after fixing it or sending it for service - we
keep records of all your purchases") and they get business from me, and
others that I point that way, that they could well have lost to a
mail-order company.

I would order on-line but only from a reputable dealer and only if the
price difference was significant enough to justify the wait, shipping
charges, and most of all the hastle should I have to return it.

Keith
Old August 23rd 04, 12:58 PM
HRosita

Hi,

Some sellers online post bait and switch prices and try to sell you additional
"stuff" to hike the price.
You have no worries if you buy from reliable vedors such as buy.com,
BHphotovideo.com, PCNation.com, Newegg.com to just list a few.
Rosita

Old August 25th 04, 05:25 PM
BandHPhoto

Gray Market goods. Also called Parallel inports or twice imported. In this
case the MSRP abroad translated into US dollars is less. The dealer is playing
the currency game here.

No, he's not. He's paying less and charging less.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com