Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

Old August 21st 04, 02:40 AM
Udie Lafing

Sounds like you ****ed him off,.and he was shouting for a good reason.

In article ,
"Clyde Torres" wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
news:EuaVc.69951$Oi.14162@fed1read04...
Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

by
ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
Larry

I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
pronounce Houston Street correctly.

Clyde Torres

--
?
?
Old August 21st 04, 03:01 AM
Michael Meissner

"Ric Kaysen" writes:

The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

Hmmm, I didn't know Best Buy sold Stroboframe flash brackets, Cokin filters,
studio lights, etc. Funny I never see any speciality items in Best Buy, just
the same old consumer cameras and little in the way of accessories.... Not to
mention the knowledgeable staff that works at Best Buy :-)

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old August 21st 04, 04:42 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Clyde Torres wrote:

I said "Well, they certainly care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston,
TX, because it was named after Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there
are two Houston families running around in the United States, and they
pronounce it differently?"

Yes, in fact, he did honestly think that, since Houston Street in Manhattan
is not named after Sam Houston, nor the city of Houston, Texas, and in fact
was named before anyone had ever heard of Sam Houston.

Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I cannot handle a salesman screaming at
me just because they don't know how to pronounce Houston Street correctly.

You tried to single-handedly change how one of the most well-known streets
in the city is pronounced, and wondered why a New Yorker might get a little
annoyed?

--
Jeremy |
Old August 21st 04, 05:20 AM
Paul J Gans

Ric Kaysen wrote:
The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

If you live in New Jersey and order by mail there should
be no taxes.

B&H is a credible store that resolves most customer's
problems to the customer's satisfaction. Their salespeople
also have a good level of expertise in things photographic.

I'm not sure that Best Buy can match that. Nevertheless,
if you are comfortable in buying from Best Buy, do so.

----- Paul J. Gans
Old August 21st 04, 05:35 AM

Ric Kaysen wrote:
The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

If quality customer service matters to you, buy from B&H, but do it online
and you should not have to pay sales tax.

Old August 21st 04, 05:41 AM
Mikey S.

NYC sales tax is high but if you have B&H ship it to NJ, you don't pay tax
at all. On any fairly expensive item the shipping is a lot less than the
tax.
B&H is reliable, fast, and honest, one of only 2 NYC camera stores that I
trust..the other is Adorama..but B&H is usually much faster to ship items so
they get my business most of the time.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

. net...

Old August 21st 04, 05:43 AM
Mikey S.

Any NYer would have done the same thing, it's a pet peeve.
Deal with it :-)

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com