Are NYC Discounters Still Bad News?

Old August 20th 04, 11:54 AM
Ric Kaysen

The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Larry" wrote in message
Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

by
ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
Larry

"Ric Kaysen" wrote in message
. net...
I haven't purchased a new camera in New York for many years, so I've

been
lurking around some of the customer feedback pages. Looks like some

pretty
horrible experiences in a few places. I don't plan on ordering by phone

and
setting myself up for problems. If I walk into one of the big photo

stores
with cash in hand, can I really expect to walk out with, say, a Sony

f828
for the advertised price?...with a USA warranty?...with all the stuff

that
supposed to be in the box? Back in the day, they used to let you take

the
camera and ship the empty box with a wink and a nod to save you on the

tax.
Do they still do that?...

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old August 20th 04, 01:15 PM
leo

"Ric Kaysen" wrote in message
. net...
The advertised prices at B&H are the same as my local Best Buy in NJ and
the
NY taxes are higher. Is there some other reason I should go there?

Only for professional photographic, audio, video equipment, lighting and
accessories that few places carry. For many consumer video/audio/camera
items, you can find much better price elsewhere.

Old August 20th 04, 07:13 PM
Christopher Muto

i agree that you can find things slightly cheaper than b&h, but not with the
same level of service or return policies. b&h offers consistently amazing
values for such a honest and reputable dealer. pay less get less, pay more
get less... i think they are the best value going. adorama is also good
but they don't have much in the way of a showroom, so you have to know what
you want going in... calumet has a nice showroom and good service but their
prices are no bargains.

"leo" wrote in message
ink.net...
. net...

Old August 21st 04, 02:20 AM
Clyde Torres

"Larry" wrote in message
Go to B&H and you can! I've done it several times both by walking in and

by
ordering online. Wouldn't know about the tax saving scheme though.
Larry

I don't know about this B&H place. I went there about five years ago
intending to buy a camera, and I casually asked the salesman where Houston
Street was. He said "It's not pronounced 'Houston' like the city, it's
pronounced 'Houston'. " I said "Well, that's not how they pronounce it in
Houston, Texas." He said "We don't care how they pronounce it in Houston,
TX! The correct pronunciation is 'Houston'." I said "Well, they certainly
care how they pronounce 'Houston' in Houston, TX, because it was named after
Sam Houston! Do you honestly think there are two Houston families running
around in the United States, and they pronounce it differently?" This guy
started screaming that Texans didn't know how in the hell to pronounce
anything, and he lost a camera sell. Heck, I'm not even from Texas, but I
cannot handle a salesman screaming at me just because they don't know how to
pronounce Houston Street correctly.

Clyde Torres

Old August 21st 04, 02:27 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message
r.com...
I've been buying from adorama for over 15 years and have only good things

say about them. Most of the NY dealers are crooks.
http://www.adoramacamera.com

That is a safe way to see things. I have to agree. I've purchase a few
items from Adorama and I will not hesitate to do so again. I particularly
like Cameta Camera. I can walk-in when I want to and sometimes one has to
handle the goods before buying.