Samsung Digimax 301 camera.

Old October 13th 05, 09:09 PM
ASAAR

Default Samsung Digimax 301 camera.

On 10 Oct 2005 11:05:26 -0700, wrote:

I had the camera driver installed and working nicely when I had a
massive crash. I had to reload everything but the camera driver would
not reload. The normal frame which should contain an "Install" and
"Exit" buttons appeared but minus buttons.I talked to Samsung, they
said try it in a friends PC, I did this and the frame came up all OK so
Samsung said "not our problem". Anybody got any ideas,all greatfully
received. PC supporting Windows 98SE.

If you have sufficient "windows" skills you can try this, but if
you don't, messing with the Windows registry can prove fatal and it
may not be worth trying. I don't know if there was any software
installed other than a simple driver, but if there was, try this,
and when finished, you may be able to successfully run the install
program.

Since there was an "Install" program, there may be an "Uninstall"
program (or use "Add/Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel).
You may have to manually delete files/folders afterwards using
Explorer to finish the job, as sometimes these uninstalls are not
thorough.

Next, using Regedit, delete all traces of any related Samsung
software or drivers from the registry. This is the dangerous part,
and before attempting this you should make sure you have made backup
copies of the two registry files (SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT). If
disaster strikes because of an improperly edited registry, you'll
have to know how to boot up directly into DOS, and then replace the
existing registry files with the copies you previously made. It's
not necessary to boot into DOS to make copies of the registry files,
as I run the batch file listed below from a DOS window.

The registry files are located in the Windows folder, and each
time you boot the computer, Windows generates a backup copy
(SYSTEM.DA0 and USER.DA0). Unfortunately, this happens so quickly
that by the time a problem with the registry is noted, the backup
registry is likely to also be damaged. If you're not exactly sure
of what is involved in copying registry files, here's the batch file
that I use to make backup copies that should show you enough to
figure out the rest. You don't have to create or use the batch
file, as it's listed just to show you the DOS commands that could be
used to copy the registry files. It assumes that Windows has been
installed in C:\Win, and that the folder containing the backup file
copies is C:\Win\regs. Also, you won't have the program
"goback.exe", but the lines containing it can be replaced with the
following two lines: "C:" and either "CD \WIN" or "CD \". Also, if
you're unfamiliar with batch file "for loops", the first one listed
below ("for %%a in ( system user ) do attrib %%a.dat -r -h -s")
expands to:

attrib system.dat -r -h -s
attrib user.dat -r -h -s

which you could manually type from a DOS command line.

BakReg.bat:
@echo off
goback to C:\WIN
for %%a in ( system user ) do attrib %%a.dat -r -h -s
cd regs
:
: Save up to 5 old registries
:
if exist system.5 del *.5
for %%a in ( system user ) do if exist %%a.4 ren %%a.4 %%a.5
for %%a in ( system user ) do if exist %%a.3 ren %%a.3 %%a.4
for %%a in ( system user ) do if exist %%a.2 ren %%a.2 %%a.3
for %%a in ( system user ) do if exist %%a.1 ren %%a.1 %%a.2
for %%a in ( system user ) do if exist %%a.0 ren %%a.0 %%a.1
for %%a in ( system user ) do copy ..\%%a.dat %%a.0
cd ..
for %%a in ( system user ) do attrib %%a.dat +r +h +s
echo.
echo ...done...
echo.
goback to c:\