Battery question

Old October 21st 12, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gregz

Default Battery question

philo " wrote:
On 10/20/2012 04:41 PM, jdanield wrote:
Le 20/10/2012 22:34, nospam a écrit :

walk into any store and see how many nicad aa batteries there are.
there are none. zero. they're all nimh, alkaline and lithium.

it would be reasonable, nicads are evil :-) but

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+nicads&_rdc=1

jdd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%...admium_battery

Nicads are still around and are sometimes useful

When you need a lot of current. Low internal resistance. I think they also
work better cold.

Virtually all solar lighting comes with nicad, but I've replaced them with
nimh with good results.

Greg

As I had mentioned (and confirmed by Wiki) due to their lower voltage (as
compared to carbon)
will not always be appropriate

Old October 21st 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/20/2012 4:34 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I once had a camera that took 4 AA batteries.
In the long run it was a bad idea as I was constantly replacing them and
of course paying for them each time. Though the camera could also use
NiCads, the charge only lasted a very short time so were useless.

nicads haven't been around in ages. you must mean nimh, which work
quite well.

I guess you haven't looked very hard.

http://www.batteryspace.com/NiCdBatt...nbtPuPkLMCFYuZ
4Aod138A6A

ok, they're around but they're not common.

walk into any store and see how many nicad aa batteries there are.
there are none. zero. they're all nimh, alkaline and lithium.

now walk over to the cordless phone section and see if any phones come
with nicad. they don't. they come with nimh or lion. now go to the
camera section and see which cameras have nicad. again, none. those are
lion, with maybe a possibility of nimh in some low end models. wander
around the rest of the store and see what type of batteries come with
other products. again, they're nimh or lion. none are nicad. none.

can you still find them on some web site? sure. however, even the
website you cite has *more* nimh than nicad.

http://www.batteryspace.com/ni-mhbatteries.aspx

You are ignoring the error in your own statement: "nicads haven't been
around in ages."
You didn't say that they are not in as common use, or as commonly
available as Ni-MH.
Don't insult my intelligence by trying to weasel your way out.

--
Peter
Old October 21st 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/20/2012 6:24 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%...admium_battery

Nicads are still around and are sometimes useful

you might want to read what you cite before you cite it:

The superior capacity of the Nickel-metal hydride batteries, and more
recently their lower cost, has largely supplanted their use. Further,
the environmental impact of the disposal of the heavy metal cadmium
has contributed considerably to the reduction in their use. Within
the European Union, they can now only be supplied for replacement
purposes although they can be supplied for certain specified types of
new equipment such as medical devices.

As I had mentioned (and confirmed by Wiki)

what you mentioned was *wrong*, and *your* cite from wikipedia confirms
it.

due to their lower voltage
(as compared to carbon)
will not always be appropriate

the voltage difference rarely matters.

So now you admit Nicads are still available and being used.
Perhaps if you look hard, you might even discover the reason they are
better in some medical devices, than Ni-MH.

--
Peter
Old October 21st 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/20/2012 6:57 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

Yep, I think the guy I plonked does not know I am in the battery industry.

selling them at walmart doesn't mean you're in the industry. pretty
much everything you've said was wrong.

You are so anxious to argue, that you don't fact check. Your comment
wasn't even clever.
Your statement that:: "nicads haven't been around in ages." is simply
wrong. If they weren't useful, nobody would buy them. "Unless of course,
you thought they cam free with a thousand dollar contract.

--
Peter
Old October 21st 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

wrote:

You are so anxious to argue, that you don't fact check. Your comment
wasn't even clever.
Your statement that:: "nicads haven't been around in ages." is simply
wrong. If they weren't useful, nobody would buy them. "Unless of course,
you thought they cam free with a thousand dollar contract.

"No spam" is obviously a bit confused.
I would not worry about his comments. When I originally started
commenting here I thought he was a serious person who just needed a
little guidance. If one is unfamiliar with Ohm's law, there is not much
I can do about it.

Although I am in the battery industry I am a service engineer for the
largest manufacturer of Lead-Acid batteries in the world. (VIZ: The
4000# batteries that run forklift trucks.) By no means am I an expert on
Nicads...but all batteries store energy and must obey the same laws of
physics.

BTW: Though I know a bit about lead-acid batteries I don't claim to be
an expert there either. Who, when you really think about it, is an
expert at anything?

Old October 21st 12, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/20/2012 9:43 PM, philo wrote:

snip

BTW: Though I know a bit about lead-acid batteries I don't claim to be
an expert there either. Who, when you really think about it, is an
expert at anything?

Two answers:
1. someone who can look at rumpled sheets and tell you whether it was
done for love or money.

2. Look at a plausible Latin derivation:
ex - has been
spurt - related to a drip.

--
Peter
Old October 21st 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You are ignoring the error in your own statement: "nicads haven't been
around in ages."
You didn't say that they are not in as common use, or as commonly
available as Ni-MH.

it didn't need to be said because it's *obvious* what was meant, except
to you.

the original poster was talking about using nicads in *cameras*, not
medical devices, airplanes or other specialized equipment.

sure, there is always going to be *something* that still uses them, but
it's rare and specialized. nobody (except anal retentives) care about
the occasional exception.

the reality is that you can't find nicad batteries in stores anymore,
only nimh. the only place you can find nicad is a specialty battery
site, which proves my point.
Old October 21st 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

So now you admit Nicads are still available and being used.

not for cameras or other consumer products, they aren't.

Perhaps if you look hard, you might even discover the reason they are
better in some medical devices, than Ni-MH.

the original poster was bitching about nicads in a camera, not medical
devices or airplanes.
Old October 21st 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yep, I think the guy I plonked does not know I am in the battery industry.

selling them at walmart doesn't mean you're in the industry. pretty
much everything you've said was wrong.

You are so anxious to argue, that you don't fact check. Your comment
wasn't even clever.
Your statement that:: "nicads haven't been around in ages." is simply
wrong.

nicads are not in stores anymore. you have to go to a specialty site to
buy them. in other words, they're gone. nimh has replaced nicad.

yes, there are a couple of specialized situations where nicad is still
used. it's obvious (except to you) that was not what was being
discussed.

the original poster had a *camera* and nobody uses nicad in cameras
anymore.

oh, i mean *almost* nobody, because you'll no doubt find someone,
somewhere, someplace, who still does, because you have nothing better
to do than argue.
Old October 21st 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

"No spam" is obviously a bit confused.

not at all.

I would not worry about his comments. When I originally started
commenting here I thought he was a serious person who just needed a
little guidance. If one is unfamiliar with Ohm's law, there is not much
I can do about it.

i'm *very* familiar with ohm's law along with many others used in
hardware design. i used to design hardware before i did software.

Although I am in the battery industry I am a service engineer for the
largest manufacturer of Lead-Acid batteries in the world. (VIZ: The
4000# batteries that run forklift trucks.)

what in the world does that have to do with nicad batteries in a camera?

By no means am I an expert on
Nicads...

that much is clear.

but all batteries store energy and must obey the same laws of
physics.

they do, but the point you *still* fail to understand is that different
battery types have different chemistry and don't discharge at the same
rate.

BTW: Though I know a bit about lead-acid batteries I don't claim to be
an expert there either. Who, when you really think about it, is an
expert at anything?

maybe, but batteries is clearly not it.