Fast, I mean Fast, color film?

Old July 27th 04, 05:59 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Default Fast, I mean Fast, color film?

There's an effect I desperately want to try and capture on film, but
it's exceptionally dim and short-lived. Experiments with 400 speed film
produced virtually nothing.

Are there any color films, print or slide, that push well? I mean,
really well? Like 3200 or better? Detail is not a serious issue, contrast
not a problem, but light sensitivity is paramount.

I know about T-Max 3200, and actually have a way outdated roll
someone gave me. But I'd like to catch this in color, if possible.

Ideas? Experiences?

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 27th 04, 09:32 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Al Denelsbeck writes:

There's an effect I desperately want to try and capture on film, but
it's exceptionally dim and short-lived. Experiments with 400 speed film
produced virtually nothing.

Are there any color films, print or slide, that push well? I mean,
really well? Like 3200 or better? Detail is not a serious issue, contrast
not a problem, but light sensitivity is paramount.

I know about T-Max 3200, and actually have a way outdated roll
someone gave me. But I'd like to catch this in color, if possible.

Ideas? Experiences?

Three cameras loaded with T-Max, each with a color filter?

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old July 27th 04, 09:53 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Al Denelsbeck writes:

There's an effect I desperately want to try and capture on film, but
it's exceptionally dim and short-lived. Experiments with 400 speed film
produced virtually nothing.

Are there any color films, print or slide, that push well? I mean,
really well? Like 3200 or better? Detail is not a serious issue, contrast
not a problem, but light sensitivity is paramount.

I know about T-Max 3200, and actually have a way outdated roll
someone gave me. But I'd like to catch this in color, if possible.

Ideas? Experiences?

Kodak and Fuji both make color negative films up to 1600. C-41 films
can be pushed some, which could help you. Konica at least used to
make a film rated at 3200 fairly honestly. That's the fastest I know
of.

And most digital SLRs go up to 1600 or 3200; you probably couldn't buy
one just for this project, but perhaps a friend could loan you one?
Old July 27th 04, 10:47 PM
Al Denelsbeck

(Stephen H. Westin) wrote in
:

Al Denelsbeck writes:

There's an effect I desperately want to try and capture on
film, but
it's exceptionally dim and short-lived. Experiments with 400 speed
film produced virtually nothing.

Are there any color films, print or slide, that push well? I
mean,
really well? Like 3200 or better? Detail is not a serious issue,
contrast not a problem, but light sensitivity is paramount.

I know about T-Max 3200, and actually have a way outdated
roll
someone gave me. But I'd like to catch this in color, if possible.

Ideas? Experiences?

Three cameras loaded with T-Max, each with a color filter?

;-)

I could very well be responsible for giving people epilepsy if I
tried that, since what I'm trying to capture is bioluminescence in the
nearby sound/lagoon. The effect is so faint, about like moonlight, that
only a long time exposure is going to catch it, and only by sustaining the
turbulence that creates it.

The three different vantage points, or three exposures at seperate
times, could make for a very interesting (or wildly confusing) image when
combined. But probably not too accurate. To say nothing of the filter
factor... ;-)

I may try the T-Max anyway and false-color it, since there's only
going to be one color captured anyway.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 27th 04, 10:51 PM
Al Denelsbeck

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

Al Denelsbeck writes:

There's an effect I desperately want to try and capture on
film, but
it's exceptionally dim and short-lived. Experiments with 400 speed
film produced virtually nothing.

Are there any color films, print or slide, that push well? I
mean,
really well? Like 3200 or better? Detail is not a serious issue,
contrast not a problem, but light sensitivity is paramount.

I know about T-Max 3200, and actually have a way outdated
roll
someone gave me. But I'd like to catch this in color, if possible.

Ideas? Experiences?

Kodak and Fuji both make color negative films up to 1600. C-41 films
can be pushed some, which could help you. Konica at least used to
make a film rated at 3200 fairly honestly. That's the fastest I know
of.

Worth looking into. No matter what, it's still going to be a long
exposure (see other reply), and recip failure could ba a factor as well -
almost certainly was with my initial experiments.

I'm hoping to run into someone who's tried any of them, though, so I
would know what to expect. Experiments of this type can be time-consuming.

And most digital SLRs go up to 1600 or 3200; you probably couldn't buy
one just for this project, but perhaps a friend could loan you one?

Well, maybe tomorrow ;-)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 27th 04, 11:05 PM
Nick Zentena

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

I could very well be responsible for giving people epilepsy if I
tried that, since what I'm trying to capture is bioluminescence in the
nearby sound/lagoon. The effect is so faint, about like moonlight, that
only a long time exposure is going to catch it, and only by sustaining the
turbulence that creates it.

Then don't you want a film with good reciprocity [who knows how it's
spelled] more then a fast film?

Nick

Old July 27th 04, 11:54 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Nick Zentena wrote in
:

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

I could very well be responsible for giving people epilepsy if
tried that, since what I'm trying to capture is bioluminescence in
the nearby sound/lagoon. The effect is so faint, about like
moonlight, that only a long time exposure is going to catch it, and
only by sustaining the turbulence that creates it.

Then don't you want a film with good reciprocity [who knows how
it's
spelled] more then a fast film?

Actually, I couldn't care less if they know how to spell it... ;-)

But basically, no. The last experiment I did involved several long
exposures, the longest being three minutes. During that time, I maintained
the turbulence by hand - my own. By the barest fraction, I registered
enough light on the film (Superia 400, what I had loaded at the time) to
find a frame edge. That's not enough.

So for the sake of my arm, I'm trying to avoid stirring up the water
fiercely for 12 or 24 or more minutes.

I should note, before someone suggests it, that this is an open water
phenomenon. Bringing samples back to produce the effect within a tank have
failed, and the effect wasn't even visible within 100' of shore last night
(thankfully the water remains shallow for a long ways). So lots of
"assistance" options are out of the question, and no, I don't own a boat.

Once I even know I can capture the effect, uh, effectively, then I
can work on setting up the circumstances to get a photo that isn't boring
as hell.

Capturing what I've seen, such as expanding ripples from a rock
tossed in, or the outlines of dolphins chasing meals, seems totally
impossible. Really a shame, but whatcha gonna do?

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old July 28th 04, 12:31 AM
Martin Riddle

Use Hyped astronomy film? I understand that you can purchase it allready hyped or roll your own.

Cheers

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net